Nothing says Canada like...

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Big RR

Re: Nothing says Canada like...

Post by Big RR »

Leave the US flag alone; anything a committee could come up with would be a hodgepodge that would make the Maryland State Flag look less busy and plain and the Arizona Flag (which looks like an ice tea label) look good. If we had to, I vote for a flag with a stock ticker running across the middle stripe (why not show our priorities?). However, the current US flag is distinctive and readily recognizable--not much else for a flag to do these days.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Hey there are 3 flags with an AK47 on them
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:56 pm

Seriously — an eagle sitting on a cactus eating a rattlesnake??  That's about as bad-ass as it comes.
-"BB"-
My dragon would have it for breakfast.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

You mean your imaginary dragon?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I can't find it now, but during the 60s I recall a cartoon of an updated Canadian flag where the red maple leaf was the flame of a burning draft card. It was possibly in National Lampoon.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:56 pm
I don't know .... but I think this one tops either of them.
But they don't even play rugby in Mexico. Do they?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

Crackpot wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:22 pm
Yep, my imaginary dragon would kill an imaginary eagle sitting on a cactus eating a rattlesnake, any day of the week.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Well, any one of our imaginary stars could explode and wipe out all the dragons, at any time, so THERE!
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Gob wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:19 am
Crackpot wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:22 pm
Yep, my imaginary dragon would kill an imaginary eagle sitting on a cactus eating a rattlesnake, any day of the week.
Imaginary eagle??
Why does the Mexican flag have an eagle eating a snake?  What's the meaning behind this imagery?

It goes back to an Aztec legend.  In ancient times, the gods told the Aztecs that they would find the perfect place to build their city where they saw an eagle on a cactus, eating a serpent.  They spotted such an eagle – right in the spot that is now the main plaza in Mexico City.
Yeah, I know ... Aztec LEGEND.  But like magnificent pearls which are built up around a grain of sand, all good legends start with at least a grain of truth.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Well, eagles are certainly a real thing, and so are cacti, and so are rattlesnakes, and so are eagles eating snakes (though I can't imagine that sitting on a cactus would be a very comfortable spot to enjoy a delicious meal of raw rattlesnake...)
Econoline wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:43 am
Well, any one of our imaginary stars could explode and wipe out all the dragons, at any time, so THERE!
Come to think of it, one of those imaginary stars might well turn out, on closer inspection, to be an asteroid. Asteroids wiping out all the dragons/dinosaurs/eagles/cacti/rattlesnakes would also be a real thing. :nana
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

I don't know much about the pros and cons of living in Switzerland...but the flag is a big plus.
(Yeah, maybe this should have gone in the "Dad jokes" thread.)
God @The Tweet of God

Gob

Post by Gob »

Ouch!!! :lol:

rubato

Post by rubato »

It is not an eagle. It is a caracara. Way cooler. And more beautiful.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=caracara& ... 5E1BD509E1

Fucking biological illiterates.
yrs,
rubato

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

rubato wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:54 am
It is not an eagle. It is a caracara. Way cooler. And more beautiful.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=caracara& ... 5E1BD509E1

Fucking biological illiterates.
That's a Golden Eagle on the Mexican Flag. It doesn't take much time to verify it online if you've got a few seconds.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Why is rubato doing the naughty to biological illiterates?

Sheldon says:
Confusion is a rubato human condition. Whether it be setting the alarm on a modern oven, dealing with foreign call centers or understanding Stephen Hawking’s theories, we are easily muddled. Take, for example, the Mexican national bird. The Crested Caracara, often referred to as the “Mexican Eagle,” is in fact thought to be the bird depicted on the original national emblem and flag of Mexico. The modern Mexican emblem and flag show a Golden Eagle. So what gives?

The confusion turns on an old Aztec legend. According to the legend, the leader of a nomadic tribe was visited by a god named Huitzilopochtli in a dream. The god said the tribe would come across an eagle, perched on a cactus, devouring a snake. It was at that spot, according to the deity, that a great Aztec city should be built. As it turned out that place did indeed become the seat of the Aztec empire in the 15th century. This was Tenochtitlan, later to become Mexico City. Crested Caracaras weren’t common there then and they look nothing like the bird on the modern seal—but Golden Eagles were, and do. Spanish historians apparently interpreted the original image as a Golden Eagle. So the caracara got screwed and the Golden Eagle is now the national bird of Mexico. Makes about as much sense as our Electoral College!
https://txmn.org/lostpines/2018/12/15/flag-follies/
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

Nothing says "I'm a fucking oaf" like a rubato post....

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:11 am
Sheldon says:
Sheldon?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:14 am
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:11 am
Sheldon says:
Sheldon?

Mythical bee-arver