I apologise for the bombing of Hiroshima

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Gob

I apologise for the bombing of Hiroshima

Post by Gob »

as people of my gender were involved...
Parents say they were left “completely mortified” after a school in Australia told male students to stand up in assembly and apologise to their female peers for “behaviours of their gender”.

Brauer College in Warrnambool, Victoria, held the whole school assembly last week, when they say “boys were asked to stand as a symbolic gesture of apology for the behaviours of their gender that have hurt or offended girls and women”.

While the school says the move was “well-intended”, parents and male students have been left furious, with many speaking out about the event.

Levi, 12, told A Current Affair he felt “a bit under pressure to stand up and if I didn’t then I felt like a bad person”.
Brauer College responds

In a statement, Brauer College said: “Schools play an important role in the promotion of safety and respect of all students, and discussions in schools around respect towards girls and women are a key part of this vital work.

“This week, at a whole school assembly, Brauer College discussed the topic of respect for woman and the importance of bystander behaviour and speaking up to report incidents of inappropriate behaviour.

“The assembly included the screening of a video message by Brisbane Boys' College Captain Mason Black about being proactive in stopping incidents of sexual assault and harassment.

“As part of this discussion boys were asked to stand as a symbolic gesture of apology for the behaviours of their gender that have hurt or offended girls and women.

“In retrospect, while well-intended, we recognise that this part of the assembly was inappropriate.”
Meanwhile, male student Vini, 15, claims many of the girls “probably didn’t even want us to say sorry to them”.

Vini says he heard girls behind him “crying because they just got basically exposed to the whole entire school”.

His mother told the Australian TV show that she felt the school had “handled this in a very bad way”.

"He has got to say sorry to a girl who he has never done anything to....All it’s doing is saying they're perpetrators in the future, they are going to be predators, they are going to be rapists,” she said.

Nicole Daniels, also a parent at the school, said she was left “completely mortified, completely and utterly mortified and shocked”.

“What they have made the boys do, they have labelled them and categorised them all into the same category as a perpetrator and a rapist when these boys have done absolutely nothing wrong,” Ms Daniels told the Australian Today show.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Re: I apologise for the bombing of Hiroshima

Post by Big RR »

Perhaps it was well intended, but I really don't know to what end. Jumping or being pushed onto a bandwagon accomplishes very little if anything; if you want to discuss attitudes and actions in small groups and explore ways to remedy them, it does make sense, but encouraging people to stand up in a big group accomplishes little--like Billy Graham standing in front of thousands and saying "Stand up and come down to dedicate yourself to Jesus" (and depending who is speaking you can can substitute other people or movements or even symbols for Jesus). Silly at best, and potentially hurtful and counterproductive.

I wish some guys in the audience took a clue from the NFL and took a knee, but then this is Australia.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I was watching “The lost pirate kingdom” on Netflix yesterday it a rather good telling of that particular era. One thing that impressed me is despite being a (apparently) British production it was rightly critical of the things the British had done. There is definitely perspective at least and some healing at best by showing what happened without an attempt to polish out the unfortunate truths.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I didn't see that CP, but I agree showing history, warts and all, has many benefits. Indeed, apologies and coming to grips with the past makes a lot of sense and can have significant benefits as well.

But big bandwagon events? Pretty worthless IMHO.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Bandwagons force action rather than rely on individual understanding. Voluntary informational demonstrations would work far better than forced jingoistic interaction.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Not only is the whole bandwagon thing, at best, poor teaching, at worse, insulting, but telling young boys they are somehow guilty by proxy of rape etc. is no way to make them better people, it's potentially damaging.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

How young were they; what is a "college" in the UK? I had guessed at least equivalent to the US high school ages (14 - 18 or so).

Gob

Post by Gob »

12 Year olds, in Australia.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

After the boys apologized, girls should have been told to stand up and apologize for their gender being emotional and asking the male gender questions about whether their clothes make their asses look big.

Gob

Post by Gob »

and for their parking...

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Gob wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:29 am
and for their parking...
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

:lol:

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I can out-park any one of you simpering men. It is my superpower.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:14 am
Therein lies the problem. You're supposed to park-in a space, not out.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe Guy wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:23 am
TPFKA@W wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:14 am
Therein lies the problem. You're supposed to park-in a space, not out.
If thereIN lies the problem I am not parked-out as I out-park you. You little squint.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Have you ever backed a 40 foot tractor-trailer up to a loading dock, you racist?... :nana

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Only that one time the Russian truck driver got stuck with his semi in the unfinished roundabout. He was crying so I told him to scoot over and I got him out of that situation and drove him on down to Lowes and backed it in for the unload. The entire store came out and cheered. They let me have my choice of appliances from their scratch and dent area.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Oh....okay.

I've never actually driven a 40 foot tractor-trailer but if I ever did, I'm sure I would have parked it better than you.

Does your dented Waring Blender still work?

liberty

Post by liberty »

Joe Guy wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:59 am
Have you ever backed a 40 foot tractor-trailer up to a loading dock, you racist?... :nana
I have done it with forty-five feet of I beam-steal on a dolly and got pretty good at it. But that was over fifty years ago. I don’t know if I could back up a boat trailer now; you know, skills do deteriorate over time.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I know how I drive. I know how I park. Thus I try to always have somebody riding shotgun, and always park so I can drive straight out.

snailgate