RIP Phil the Greek

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Gob

RIP Phil the Greek

Post by Gob »

shame you didn't get your ton.
Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth II's husband, has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace has announced.

Buckingham Palace said: "It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

"His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle."

Boris Johnson said he "inspired the lives of countless young people".

Speaking at Downing Street, the prime minister added: "He helped to steer the Royal Family and the monarchy so that it remains an institution indisputably vital to the balance and happiness of our national life."

Mr Johnson said he received the news of the duke's death "with great sadness".

"Prince Philip earned the affection of generations here in the United Kingdom, across the Commonwealth, and around the world," he said.

Paying tribute to the duke's role as the longest serving consort in history, Mr Johnson also remembered Prince Philip as one of the last surviving people to have fought in World War II.

"From that conflict he took an ethic of service that he applied throughout the unprecedented changes of the post-War era," Mr Johnson said.

"Like the expert carriage driver that he was, he helped to steer the Royal Family and the monarchy so that it remains an institution indisputably vital to the balance and happiness of our national life."

Phil's greatest hits...
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Post by Big RR »

Well after reading those greatest hits (and I know it barely skims the surface), I clearly see how he made "Royal Family and the monarchy so that it remains an institution indisputably vital to the balance and happiness of our national life." :roll:

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

"Is it true that humans taste like the Giant Tortoises of the Galapagos?"
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Phil’s mum makes for an interesting read.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

PS Phil was no Greek. Danish indeed. Not quite sure how that all worked out as acceptable to the Greeks at the time. Monarchy is convoluted.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

@W--as I recall, he was of both Greek and Danish ancestry, but was born in Greece; his entire family was expelled from Greece after a military coup. I'm not sure where he grew up, but I do not think it was Denmark or Greece.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Paying tribute to the duke's role as the longest serving consort in history, Mr Johnson also remembered Prince Philip as one of the last surviving people to have fought in World War II.

"From that conflict he took an ethic of service that he applied throughout the unprecedented changes of the post-War era," Mr Johnson said.

"Like the expert carriage driver that he was, he helped to steer the Royal Family and the monarchy so that it remains an institution indisputably vital to the balance and happiness of our national life."
Just a reminder that Queen Elizabeth herself is a military veteran of WWII as well.

In fact, Her Royal Highness alone has served more time in the armed forces of her country than every member of the Trump family combined has served for theirs, going all the way back to when Frederick first hit the shores of America in the 1880s.  And Don Junior, Eric, and Barron seem determined to keep that long streak going.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Big RR wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:00 pm
@W--as I recall, he was of both Greek and Danish ancestry, but was born in Greece; his entire family was expelled from Greece after a military coup. I'm not sure where he grew up, but I do not think it was Denmark or Greece.
But, the rulers of Greece were not Greek. Danish, British, etc. no real Hellenic blood coursing through his veins.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

BBC had a fair review of his life. There’s a lot to admire along with the not so good.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Long Run wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:28 am
BBC had a fair review of his life. There’s a lot to admire along with the not so good.
Makes me wonder how the various news media — including the Beeb — will cover #45 once he shuffles off this mortal coil
(I can pretty much guess how it will be over at Faux News).

I hope I don't have to wait too long to find out.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

liberty

Post by liberty »

Big RR wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:54 pm
Well after reading those greatest hits (and I know it barely skims the surface), I clearly see how he made "Royal Family and the monarchy so that it remains an institution indisputably vital to the balance and happiness of our national life." :roll:
Well, I don’t know, you might think it is silly, but the Brits have their monarchy to unite them, and we have our hatred of each other. So which country is better off, Britain or the U.S? If we could kill each other without consequences, the streets would run with blood, and I am not talking about ghetto gang wars over drug territories.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Gob

Post by Gob »

During the visit in March 2002, the Prince asked an Aboriginal cultural park owner called William Brim: 'Do you still throw spears at each other?' Mr Brim replied: 'No, we don't do that any more'
Black fella him don't know his own culture...
Danny Ferguson has been convicted over the killing of 34-year-old Serena Amos near Oodnadatta in July 2015.

The 36-year-old was on Thursday jailed for 15 years with a 12-year non-parole period and was also declared a serious repeat offender.

He also faces more than 11 years behind bars for two counts of rape and aggravated assault committed in the Northern Territory.

But this time behind bars is not the only retribution coming Ferguson's way as a result of his crimes.

"I am told that you will be liable to traditional tribal punishment - being speared five times in each leg - upon your eventual release," Justice Ann Vanstone told the Port Augusta Supreme Court.

Ferguson agreed to receive the spearing but this did not reduce his prison time.

"So much time will have passed before you are released that I do not consider that this can affect my sentence," Justice Vanstone said.

Ferguson beat Ms Amos repeatedly at a remote campsite in the final days of her life and when he realised she was dead he fled into the bush on foot, sparking a widespread outback search.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Listening to the Beeb while driving early early this morning their coverage seemed to be wall-to-wall Philip. I was amused by the anecdote related by former Canadian PM Jean Chrétien about the first time he met the prince, when he was a young Quebecois MP, and Philip immediately began conversing with him in perfect French. He complimented Philip on speaking "very good French, for an Englishman"...to which Philip replied, "I'm NOT an Englishman—and I've been speaking French since before you were born."
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

BBC wall to wall Philip indeed. I was listening to it from local midnite to 4:30am and It was all Philip, except for hourly 5-minute world headline breaks.

Interesting contrast in reports from Australia and from New Zealand. i don't remember anything from Canada.

Due to pandemic and social distancing, the funeral will be limited to 800 people. And please don't drop piles of flowers.

snailgate

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

liberty wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:51 am
Big RR wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:54 pm
Well, I don’t know, you might think it is silly, but the Brits have their monarchy to unite them, and we have our hatred of each other. So which country is better off, Britain or the U.S? If we could kill each other without consequences, the streets would run with blood, and I am not talking about ghetto gang wars over drug territories.
I guess you missed the point; I was not attacking the monarchy, only pointing out that he, with all his gaffes (to be generous) did anything to steer the royal family "so that it remains an institution indisputably vital to the balance and happiness of our national life". Perhaps the royal family is vital in the way claimed, perhaps not. But I was questioning how Prince Phillip steered it in that direction. You can answer if you have an opinion on that.

I said nothing about killing each other, but apprently you believe having a royal family somehow rids Britain of hatred? I'd be interested on what you think the royal family does to prevent that.

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I assume liberty is talking about the way it would be here in the United Gun-Loving States of America.  All those people with all those weapons, just looking for any excuse to use them.

Sometimes I think he's watched the various 'Purge' movies one too many times and now considers them to be video 'how-to' guides, not fictional entertainment.
-"BB"-

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I read somewhere that Prince Philip stopped the practise of having staff served with different meals from the regular fare of the family. He also stopped the very silly custom of putting a new bottle of whisky by the Monarch's bedside each night. Apparently Victoria had a tot once when she had the 'flu or something similar and her servitors decided to put a fresh bottle there each night just in case she needed another one. Ah yes, he also halted the rule that footmen must use some ghastly home-made pomade when serving at state functions
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts