Just another average day...

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Gob

Just another average day...

Post by Gob »

At least eight people have been shot and killed at a FedEx facility in Indianapolis and the suspected gunman killed himself, police have said.

Multiple other people were injured and went to local hospitals, a police spokesperson, Genae Cook, said at an early morning news conference on Friday.

At least four people were admitted to hospital, including one with critical injuries. Two others were treated at the scene and released. No law enforcement officers were injured.

“We’re still trying to ascertain the exact reason and cause for this incident,” Cook said. She asked people who could not reach family members working at FedEx to go to a nearby hotel.

Live video from local news outlets at the scene showed crime scene tape in the car park outside the facility.

A witness, who said he worked at the facility, told WISH-TV that he saw a man with a gun after hearing several gunshots. “I saw a man with a submachine gun of some sort, an automatic rifle, and he was firing in the open,” Jeremiah Miller said.

Another man told WTTV that his niece was sitting in the driver’s seat of her car when the gunfire erupted, and she was wounded. “She got shot on her left arm,” said Parminder Singh. “She’s fine, she’s in the hospital now.” He said his niece did not know the shooter.

FedEx said: “We are aware of the tragic shooting at our FedEx Ground facility near the Indianapolis airport. Safety is our top priority, and our thoughts are with all those who are affected. We are working to gather more information and are cooperating with investigating authorities.”

The shooting was the latest in a string of mass killings across the US in recent months. Eight people were fatally shot at massage businesses across metro Atlanta, and 10 died in gunfire at a supermarket in Boulder, Colorado, last month.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... is-reports
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Re: Just another average day...

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I think this really illustrates the decline of the US Post Office.

Now people are going fedexal
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

GAH!

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Somebody refresh my memory: what's the definition of "well-regulated", again?
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

According to numerous websites, surveys, studies, and SWAGs (silly, wild-assed guesses), there are something like 395 million firearms in the hands of American civilians.  Or to put it another way, there are enough firearms in private hands so that every man, woman, and child in the United States, from the newborn in the nursery-room window to the centenarian with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel, could have one for their very own, and there would STILL be close to 80 million left over.

And Winchester, Remington, S&W, Colt, Ruger, Glock, Armalite, et al keep cranking out more of them every Goddamned day.

When will we finally wake up and realize that there are too many crazy, fucked-up people with access to firearms?
And since we can't do anything about getting rid of the crazy, fucked-up people — Christ, four years ago we even elected one of them to the highest office in the land — we need to do something about the firearms??
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Not quite, BB. Remington does not exist any more. They were auctioned off last fall. Ruger bought their Marlin brand and mfg equip to build Marlin rifles, but most of the rest of their assets went for near peanuts.

Look at the basic sentence structure of that second amendment. It has some interesting characteristics. No other 'right' mentioned in the constitution includes the restriction it 'shall not be infringed" which has not been honored for at least a hundred years. The government has hung all kinds of fringe on it. And it is a clear reading of the amendment that it says the way to regulate the militia is to make sure the militia is not the only group with guns
The consequences of that are horrible and thus the courts have simply pretended it does not say that.("The constitution is not a suicide pact")

The general culture of the USofA has changed. Rugged individualism and social darwinism are more accepted and there is less loyalty or desire for 'the greater' good' or self sacrifice to benefit others (You can't make me wear a mask) This all makes for less respect for the lives of other people. When I was in high school violent teen gangs in Kansas City were common, but the violence rarely included guns, even though a pistol could be legally bought with much less legal hassle back then. The 'melon tester' knife and the bicycle chain were the usual weapons.

The second amendment is sacred only because that is the political climate. The NY Times, The Washington Post, the Christian Science Monitor have had editorial policies against private gun ownership for more than 75 years but this concerted mass media pressure has availed nothing. New laws and regulations about firearms are regularly adopted, but the killing only increases. The Constitution has been amended 17 times since 1791. No reason why the 2nd amendment cannot be changed. Now these mass shootings by ordinary people and unreasonable killings by the police of ordinary people have become 'normal.' There is not the political will to change the second amendment or to attack the root cause--which is not that guns are too easy to get or that there are too many of them. BB and others firmly believe the anger and disregard for the lives of fellow human beings can be controlled by locking up the guns. BB why do you accept "we can't do anything about getting rid of the crazy, fucked-up people "?

So somehow removing the guns will fix it, Just like racial discrimination will be ended by never using the 'N' word

snailgate

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Burning Petard wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:39 am
There is not the political will to change the second amendment or to attack the root cause--which is not that guns are too easy to get or that there are too many of them. BB and others firmly believe the anger and disregard for the lives of fellow human beings can be controlled by locking up the guns. BB why do you accept "we can't do anything about getting rid of the crazy, fucked-up people "?

snailgate
Well, putting aside for a second that we won't even carry out sentences imposed on murderers, rapists, child-molesters or other violent criminals who have had their day(s) in court, gone through due process, been found guilty by a jury of their peers, and had sentence duly imposed, it's because of crazy, fucked-up shit like this — proposed and voted on by supposedly 'intelligent' representatives of the people.
And if this sort of crap TRULY represents the people — then, QED, we've got some well and truly crazy, fucked-up people!

Texas House votes to allow Texans
to carry handguns without a license or training

You may soon need a license to drive and vote in Texas — but not carry a handgun in public.

After years of failed attempts by gun advocates, the Texas House on Thursday gave initial approval to a bill that would drop the state's requirement that most handgun owners obtain a $40 license to carry their firearm in public, concealed or openly.  House Bill 1927, authored by a number of Republican lawmakers, would allow anyone over the age of 21 who can legally possess a firearm to carry a handgun in public.

Currently, Texans 21 and over with no criminal record can get a license to carry a handgun if they
1) complete a training requirement;
2) don't have a drug addiction; and
3) can "exercise sound judgment with respect the proper use and storage of a handgun," the Austin American-Statesman explains.

The 84-56 vote was largely along party lines.
(based on information found here and here)
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Number two in BB's list from Texas is also a federal requirement for purchase of a firearm, but phrased in a more general manner.

Number three is interesting: "Can" does not mean you actually have to do it.

snailgate

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

In another context, (the recent Trump-led revival of the federal death penalty) there was a NYT op-ed piece the other day which contained this reminder:
Because the Eighth Amendment contains no explanation of what its ban on cruel and unusual punishment means, the Supreme Court has held that the principle “must draw its meaning from the evolving standards of decency that mark the progress of a maturing society.”
That phrase was written by that well known commie pinko, Earl Warren, in 1958.

Why is that so fucking hard to understand? I don't need to agree with much of what Warren said and did to understand that, as a basic point of view from which to observe, understand and interpret the Constitution, it makes sense.

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Burning Petard wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:12 pm
Number two in BB's list from Texas is also a federal requirement for purchase of a firearm, but phrased in a more general manner.

Number three is interesting: "Can" does not mean you actually have to do it.

snailgate
Just want to inject here that when I went through alcohol rehab after my 3rd OWI in five years — and while I'm grateful that I'm still clean and (reasonably) sober some 30 years later, it's not something I usually bring out as a conversation starter — they made me feel that being 'hooked' on alcohol was no better than being hooked on heroin, cocaine, uppers, downers, LSD, or anything else that was out there in those days.  An addict is an addict, that was their mantra:  it's just the drug of choice that changes, and the only difference between the so-called 'hard drugs' and alcohol/caffeine/nicotine was that the last three were 'legal'.

So based on that observation/line of logic, anyone with more than one OWI or other alcohol-related offense could be considered to have a drug addiction.  But I'll betcha any amount of money they're still packing heat.
-"BB"-

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I think we have a clue as to what drove the FedEx shooter:
A trace of the two guns found by investigators at the scene revealed that suspect Brandon Scott Hole, 19, of Indianapolis, legally bought the rifles in July and September of last year, officials with the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department said Saturday.
B S Hole? Really? Jail the parents!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts