Meet Emma

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Long Run

Re: Meet Emma

Post by Long Run »

Thanks for the update. Yes to better fences and no more “tell me about the rabbits” stories.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:41 pm
....Other terrifying objects are laundry baskets and screen doors that bang too hard for her taste.....
I wonder if she was kept locked in a cage at one time - or maybe even in a laundry basket. Be gentle. Hopefully you can wean her away from being a mass rabbit murderer.

Gob

Post by Gob »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:41 pm
***Another interesting tidbit*** Jack Russell dogs, with their short stubby legs, are only a bit slower than Greyhounds. Who would have thunk it?
You would not believe the number of whippet or greyhound owners who have been somewhat put out when my stubby little chaps give chase.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I have never laughed harder than when I tuned in on Youtube to watch Jack Russell racing.
Yours just need an incentive of some sort to give your bunny plague worry.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

She is adjusting very well to her new home, this is her riding shotgun on a Starbucks run.
emma louise.jpg

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

What a sweet doggie! Such a good girl!
GAH!

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Did she get a pupaccino at starbucks?

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

eddieq wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:06 pm
Did she get a pupaccino at starbucks?
But of course. She also gets a pup cup Smoothie King. She loves going anywhere with us. As the weather cools she will more and more. The back seats are heated for her comfort. :D

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

My last dog, a German Wired Haired Pointer, was death on ground hogs. She did just what a hunting dog is supposed to do--brought the dead body to me. The fur always felt good to me and I wondered why there was no market for the hide. Killing ground hogs without any instructions from a human is one of the desired characteristics of this breed in its place of origin. Not allowed to breed until it has been observed killing vermin (rat or fox!) without command.

snailgate

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

It doesn't look like Emma is wearing a seat belt in the photo. That's probably why she has a guilty look on her face.

Anyway.... Good doggy! Please give her a kick for me.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

She’s beautiful! 💗🐾
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

Lovely dog, the chaps approve!

Going to need LOADS of walkies though!

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Gob wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:06 am
Lovely dog, the chaps approve!

Going to need LOADS of walkies though!

That's her every time we are going out a door or anytime she is getting a meal or if we left her home alone for 10 minutes then she greets us this way. Her name could be Boing!

Gob

Post by Gob »

:lol:

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

So before Christmas I sent off Emma's DNA to Embark to find out what breed she actually is. At 30 lbs she is the sweetest dog I have ever owned. Imagine my abject horror upon being informed that my sweet little companion is 50% pitbull, 12% labrador, 9.2% Chesapeake Bay Retriever, 8.7% Akita, 5.7% Rottweiler, and 14.4% Supermutt*. I can believe that she has pitbull but the rest of this-she does not look like any of the breeds listed. She really has no agression consistent with most of these breeds. She actually looks more like a Whippet to me.

*supermutt means they are clueless on that percentage.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

*supermutt means they are clueless on that percentage.
Our family used to call dogs like that "Heinzes" — you know, 57 varieties?

Reminds me the rescue dog Katherine (Katie Barefoot) had when I knew her.  She had to finally put down her earlier companion, Molly, due to complications of age, and after a thoroughly miserable period of doglessness she found another four-legged friend through a rescue shelter site online and ended up driving from the Twin Cities to someplace in Ohio (if I remember correctly) to retrieve Missy — who was subsequently renamed Mitzi (for much the same reason you alluded to here).

Mitzi also was a mixed-breed of border collie and God-only-knows what else, although to my knowledge Katherine never went quite so far as to do DNA testing to sort it all out.  I do remember, though, that one day we were out together and taking Mitzi for her walkies when someone else stopped to admire her and asked about her provenance.   Katherine stated that Mitzi was "part border collie ... and part NOT border collie."   So I suggest your go-to answer, should anyone ask, be similar — just substitute 'pit bull' for 'border collie'.

As an aside, I realize that I'm never going to stop missing that lady.
Nor do I want to.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:48 am
So before Christmas I sent off Emma's DNA to Embark to find out what breed she actually is. At 30 lbs she is the sweetest dog I have ever owned. Imagine my abject horror upon being informed that my sweet little companion is 50% pitbull, 12% labrador, 9.2% Chesapeake Bay Retriever, 8.7% Akita, 5.7% Rottweiler, and 14.4% Supermutt*. I can believe that she has pitbull but the rest of this-she does not look like any of the breeds listed. She really has no agression consistent with most of these breeds. She actually looks more like a Whippet to me.
Based only on Emma's photo that you provided, I wouldn't believe she has any Pit Bull or Rottweiler DNA.

Also, I laughed when I read that you sent off Emma's DNA to Embark to find out what breed.....

I'm sorry that the results you received were so ruff! to accept.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Mrs Mc had two collies that were quite successful in agility trials until they hit nine or ten years old. About three years ago she was offered a free dog, if there is such a thing, that is half Australian Shepherd and half whatever jumped the fence. Aussies are arguably THE BEST agility dogs out there. The little mutt has been doing very well, out pacing some very expensive Aussies and other well known agility breeds. Some of the other people in the local dog training club have been rather upset by being beaten. Some of those folks have spent thousands of dollars purchasing their hopeless losers.

Ah the reason I brought this up... The American Kennel Club, AKA the AKC, calls mixed breed dogs "All American Dogs". You know, they don't want them to be offended or feel belittled by being called a lowly mutt.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I also did Embark on Riley as a birthday gift to me. The results were a bit shocking: 27.5% border collie (she was listed as a border collie mix), 30.9% American Pit Bull Terrier (!!!!!!), 12% German Shepard dog, 10.8% Labrador retriever, 9.6% Treeing Walker Coonhound, 9.2% Rottweiler.

On one side her parent was a ‘borderbull’, apparently a favorite cross of backyard breeders - the brains of a border collie crossed with the ???? of an APBT. The other side her parent was the mixed breed offspring of a GSD/Lab mix and a Rottie/Coonhound mix.

I’m glad she’s a mutt, as the more the mix the stronger the genes in terms of health and longevity. She eats a terrific diet (better than me!) and gets lots of love and exercise, so all the makings for health and longevity.

I have had to rethink my revulsion for bully breeds. It disturbs me to know that if I’d sent the Embark to the foster home like I had considered doing during those months after I’d put a deposit on her and was waiting on her to finish heartworm treatment, I might very likely have told them to adopt her to someone else and I would pick another dog. Yet she is THE best dog I’ve ever known, and I have known some very very good dogs.

I guess I’ll blame the Pitbull in her for all the serial killing - even though I know lots of border collies are excellent hunters too, and it’s the border collie that makes her so incredibly fast.

But it might have been the APBT, and the Rottie, and the GSD that made her chase and confront a coyote bigger than her.

And the Lab is likely why she’s sometimes ridiculously stupid.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Mine turned out to be a hamster :cry:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts