Meet Emma

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
TPFKA@W

Meet Emma

Post by TPFKA@W »

So a few years ago our next door neighbors moved to Oklahoma, where he was from. He had a failing heart and wanted to be closer to home. He passed about 2 years ago. His widow, who I have on the book of all things face, announced a while back that she is returning to Indiana and wanted to find a new home for her dog. The dog was used to a country life and she wanted to find like. Alas she had no takers. I talked to husband, and we agreed that we had been dog-less a while and wanted to help by offering to take former neighbor's dog. She finally arrived today. Her name is momma which I detest so we are renaming her Emma which sounds like momma and might not cause much confusion. The dog has ZERO training, does not know how to walk on a leash even, at 5 years of age. I plan to hire someone to assist in training since neither one of us is any good at teaching young dogs new tricks, let alone old dogs. The picture was taken at her first outing to Petsmart. She would not walk so we put her in a cart which she actually took to.

emma.jpg

Sue U

Re: Meet Emma

Post by Sue U »

Congratulations! It's good to be dogged.
GAH!

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

A cutie pie puppy wuppy doggie woggie - do the ears go flippity floppity?

Congrats on the addition

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Heavy on the flippy light on the floppy

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I hate to tell you this but from this angle that looks like it might be a goat.

Maybe that might explain the lack of dog training.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

She has green eyes so maybe she’s half goat.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

If the lady seemed upset when she turned over her pet to you, that's an indication that you got her goat.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

She left crying. It was pretty sad.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I bet it really was very sad for the woman. I didn't intend make fun of her emotional state in any way.

I was just being my usual thoughtless self.

Gob

Post by Gob »

The chaps approve.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

liberty

Post by liberty »

We need to go to Pet Smart; our baby needs new clothes. I want to get him boots for the winter, but my wife thinks that silly. I tell her she is a bad mamma for discriminating against our son because he has four legs and looks different. I love her, but she is a bigot.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Emma, the sweet little doggy who likes to snuggle between us in bed or watching tv, murdered a bunny in the backyard today. I have never seen a dog run so fast. Unfortunately, this is what whippets do, run small animals down and kill them. It was gruesome. :shock:

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

That's terrible. I'm not sure if I like Emma anymore. I'll have to think about it for a while and put it in the proper context but at the moment I'm thinking about the poor bunny and all of its relatives that are mourning its loss right now.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

One animal kills and eats another animal.  No matter what Elton John wrote for "The Lion King",  THAT'S the true "Circle of Life'.

And we humans are nothing if not animals.  It's just that over the years we humans came to realize that farming/ranching and modern butchery/meat processing is just a more efficient ways of obtaining our food than running after it and clubbing it with sticks or stabbing it with spears.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

I wish my chaps were fast enough to catch any of the bunny plague on our farm. It would save me a fortune in tins of "Butchers Tripe Loaf".
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I can’t even talk about Riley’s prey drive - she’s a serial killer. My clients were thrilled that she decimated a rat family on their property in the space of a couple of weekends, and my family hasn’t minded too much the thinning of our local squirrel density, but I was heartbroken over the two baby bunnies she got - didn’t chase them down even, they were just in the early exploring phase of leaving the nest and she saw them in the grass and pounced, and sadly she just grabs too enthusiastically, there is no saving them. The grab/shake/neck break is very quick, and that is the only consolation.

Sadly I’ve given up believing I can curb this drive by voice recall - which is otherwise near perfect - so it’s onto a lead for her going forward. She’s going to miss free ranging the property but I feel like we need to leave this prey to the coyotes and hawks since Riley doesn’t need the food and never bothers with that next step.

Don’t ask me about the coyote predated raccoon carcass she sniffed out in the wooded part of the property and brought to the doorstep - that was gruesome and required extensive bathing and eventually disinfecting of the garbage barrel. Her new nickname is maggot mouth. 🤢🤮
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Dogs being dogs. At university, the house where we rented rooms backed onto a big field that the university used for agricultural research, so there was lots of cover for all sorts of animals. Our landlord had an Akita that loved to run through it, catch whatever it could, and deposit it at the patio door like a trophy looking for approval.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I'd feel better if a dog killed another animal and ate it rather than just killing it. There's something unsettling about killing just for the heck of it.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:14 am
I'd feel better if a dog killed another animal and ate it rather than just killing it. There's something unsettling about killing just for the heck of it.
Yes, this bothers me too, hence the plan to put Riley back on lead. I can’t be angry at an instinct and all dogs have the instinct to hunt prey, some just have it much stronger than others.

Riley was dumped on a country road in Arkansas along with her three nursing pups, so she had to hunt to feed herself - and her pups - for some while until she was rescued by people, so I imagine this is why she so keenly hunts even spiders in the grass.

Now she’s fed a terrific diet of raw meats and vegetables and fruits and she’s not hungry, but she still has that drive to chase and she is FAST - other than greyhounds at the track, I’ve never seen a dog so fast. And smart. I wish I had sheep to work her on.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Emma's previous owner says that Emma was found on a country road, with pups in tow, and pregnant. (The little hussy.) She was about a year old then when they got her. She flinches a lot over sounds, touch and is terrified by a squeaky ball we had left over from the previous dog. Other terrifying objects are laundry baskets and screen doors that bang too hard for her taste. She does like to go for a ride in the SUV and enjoys outings to stores that permit dogs. Previous owner thought she was a Greyhound mix of some sort. Hubby and I believe she is a much slower and smaller Whippet, or a Whippet mix due to her markings and size. ***Interesting tidbit*** Greyhounds can run as fast as Thoroughbreds. Although much slower than a Greyhound, from which they were developed as a breed, Whippets hold all sorts of world records for vertical jumping and dock jumping, and apparently are also used for racing. ***Another interesting tidbit*** Jack Russell dogs, with their short stubby legs, are only a bit slower than Greyhounds. Who would have thunk it? Anyway, apparently we are going to need a bigger fence if we want to keep this darling little murderer of bunnies properly safe.