Home with Oak Kitchen for Sale

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Joe Guy

Home with Oak Kitchen for Sale

Post by Joe Guy »

A tree grows in the kitchen at a Gulfport listing on Zillow

The recently listed four-bedroom house in Gulfport has lovely pictures of marble countertops and a nice backyard. Then ... what’s this? A giant tree trunk is growing in the kitchen with its top sprouting through the roof.

That’s a real oak tree, says real estate agent Stacey Purcell. There’s a two-level roof and the tree peeks out from the lower roof. Purcell is worried that insurance companies will insist the tree come down to make the sale.

“It is an issue,” Purcell said. “Without that tree I’d have that house sold already.”

Purcell has suggested if the grumps at the insurance company make a stink, “have one of those carvers come in and make it an octopus. Or make it a wine rack.”

It’s not unusual for Gulfport to have a strange listing. Bumper stickers all across town demand, “Keep Gulfport weird.”

Purcell says despite the tree challenge, she already has some offers, but you can call 727-289-5500 to inquire about the house at 5122 31st Ave. S. The 2,874 square-foot waterfront house is listed for $899,000.

The only thing she worries about is whether dogs will look at the tree as “a place to lift their leg.” She hasn’t brought her dog along for home tours for just that reason.
source

ex-khobar Andy

Re: Home with Oak Kitchen for Sale

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Trees have a habit of growing. Upwards and outwards. And I just made a comment in another thread about the approval process from the city planning people - did they really approve this?

Gob

Post by Gob »

I'd buy it.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The tree was very obviously there first, so all I can say is only a moron would’ve designed the kitchen around it like that.

I might question the wisdom of building around a tree; as a girl I had friends who had a big tree like that incorporated into their 3 season room add-on, technically a porch - but in an inside room is a whole different thing. But in that particular spot in a working kitchen?

Definitely designed by bad cook.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I see that a sale is pending. I noticed that it has "Bay/Harbor, Water Access" and it's in a flood zone too.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

How could you ever properly seal the roof around the tree? Any sort of flashing you would use would have to fail as the tree grows through it.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I would think a waterproof seal would be impossible that being said trees tend to grow around anything that doesn't give. Have you ever seen what happens to trees that have trunk support wires that aren't removed in a timely manner? That being said I don't know if a strictly waterproof seal would be necessary or even desired in a case like this. The house is in Florida which means freezing generally wouldn't be an issue an any water running down the trunk would just serve to water the tree. All you would really need to do is develop water management for the non-living portions of the structure. (something commonly done in bathrooms)

That being said I would bet that the real estate agent had something to do with this article as even though not many people would want a house like this there is a not insignificant portion of the population that would love something like this all you have to do is find those people.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The friends on Cape Cod who had a big tree in their back porch/3 season room never had issues with leaking, and that was in the early 80s so it can’t be terribly sophisticated.

It was pretty cool but it was a porch and plenty of room left as the tree was in the far corner. Basically they didn’t want to lose the tree, and didn’t want a smaller porch. Compromise was necessary.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Here's another tree infested house...

I guess it would be a good home for anyone who owns a monkey or two. Heck, it's only listed for $3.8 million.

source

Zillow listing

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

That whole property with the various dwellings on it has such a hippie commune artist/musician hangout kind of vibe. I bet it hosted some monster parties back in the day. Imagine tripping in that treehouse with that big old tree growing right through the place lol.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Cats would love that
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Or ignore it to play with a bottle cap and sleep in a paper bag.