The Uninhabitable Earth

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Jarlaxle

Re: The Uninhabitable Earth

Post by Jarlaxle »

A stadium 20 years old can need replacement if built improperly. Heck, had Shea been completed as designed, it would have collapsed! (That's why it was never fully enclosed.)

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:31 pm
A quote from Wikipedia about the home of the Bills (my underlining):
Highmark Stadium (originally Rich Stadium, then Ralph Wilson Stadium from 1998 to 2015, then New Era Field from 2016 to 2020, and Bills Stadium from 2020 to 2021) is a stadium near Orchard Park, New York, in the southern portion of the Buffalo metropolitan area. The stadium opened in 1973 and is the home venue of the Buffalo Bills of the National Football League (NFL).
And now the Bills want to knock it down and build a new stadium for $1.4 billion. That's $1400 million. And of course (this is secondary to my argument but about as galling) they want the Erie County taxpayers to pony up. How can a stadium 48 years old be past its best? Westminster Abbey is around 750 years old and still functioning. This is the kind of nonsense which has to stop.
Ahhh.... but the people running the Buffalo Bills don't think they're making enough money already by charging people to come in and watch a bunch of overpaid kids playing games — or charging TV networks megabillions (and the networks are willing to pay it – NBC supposedly gave the IOC something like seven and a half BILLION-with-a-'B' dollars for the US TV rights to the Tokyo Olympics plus the Winter/Summer Games through 2032 — for now, anyway) for the privilege of showing other people TV pictures of these overpaid kids either.  So these people figure they need a newer, better, snazzier stadium to keep the  ⃥r⃥u⃥b⃥e⃥s⃥  fans coming in.  And like Illinois and their tollways or Donald Trump and his wall, they're going to try to get them to pay to build it besides.  Sort of like a three-card Monte artist asking you to pay for the deck of cards that he's then going to use to swindle you.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Long Run wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:23 pm
True, but there is an endless supply of water for a place like Mendocino, it just will cost twice as much+ than the traditional methods of wells or dams.
No water supply is endless, and cost is absolutely a limiting factor.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I assume that LR was talking about desal, and even solar assisted desal is becoming worth considering these days. To most conceivable eventualities, seawater is endless although of course like everything else on earth it is finite. The problem is making sure that the waste brine (whether evaporation or reverse osmosis is used) is disposed of effectively and without damaging local ecologies.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:56 pm
The problem is making sure that the waste brine (whether evaporation or reverse osmosis is used) is disposed of effectively and without damaging local ecologies.
From perusing the local grocers' shelves, I understand that there is quite a market for sea salt.
GAH!

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Sue U wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:32 pm

From perusing the local grocers' shelves, I understand that there is quite a market for sea salt.
Especially if it comes in pretty colors with a built-in grinder.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

There apparently is a new family of membranes based on co-axially electrospun superhydrophobic nanofiber with 3D-hierarchically structured surface technology which will revolutionize reverse osmosis. I have not read the original paper and I doubt that I'd understand it if I did; but this could be a game changer about the availability of fresh water to coastal populations.

Initially reported in the Daily Mail.

Abstract (and original paper if you have access) here.

Gob

Post by Gob »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:35 am
new family of membranes based on co-axially electrospun superhydrophobic nanofiber with 3D-hierarchically structured surface technology
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Thanks Gob. The visual helped make ex-KA’s explanation much more clear to me.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

DEBT VS CLIMATE CHANGE.jpg
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God