Ida

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
BoSoxGal

Ida

Post by BoSoxGal »

On the anniversary of Katrina, no less. Man plans and God laughs.

I’m watching news coverage of the lead up and am just clenched for what’s coming. Please God don’t do this to the poor folks of beautiful NOLA.

I typed this last night and fell asleep before posting it. Just woke up to news she is a Cat5 motherfucking monster now. God help them who stayed behind to ride her out.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Re: Ida

Post by Econoline »

Stay safe, liberty.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Tonight I’ve started re-watching Treme in honor of the folks in NOLA.

Really worried about what the sun will rise on tomorrow, given the stories already making the news - all of Orleans Parish in the dark, Grande Isle incommunicado but prior to losing contact the folks who stayed there were all calling for rescue, but first responders won’t be allowed to go out until first light. Given the surge was predicted as 16 feet and unsurvivable, I fear the ultimate death toll is going to be really bad.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Econoline wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:07 pm
Stay safe, liberty.
I hope the little rebel is safe and warm and wrapped up in his favorite water-proof Confederate battle flag. Please check in when you can, libster-dude. I'm sending positive vibes in your direction....

And remember, the Lord helps people but they don't always realize it when it's happening. For example, if you're stranded and sitting on the roof of your house, don't refuse a boat ride just because the captain is black.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Best of luck Liberty!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Gob

Post by Gob »

Live reporting from the Graun.
One person has died as Hurricane Ida, one of the most powerful storms ever to hit the US, knocked out power to all of New Orleans, reversed the flow of the Mississippi River and blew roofs off buildings across Louisiana.

The first death was reported in Prairieville, a suburb of Baton Rouge, after a tree fell on a house, said the sheriff of Ascension Parish.

Across Louisiana, more than a million households were without power, and the outage in New Orleans had left the city more vulnerable to flooding – 16 years after Hurricane Katrina caused devastation.

Hundreds of thousands of the city’s residents were without refrigeration in sweltering summer heat, and had been told to conserve water after sewage pumping stations – which have no back-up power – ground to a halt. Boil-water notices were issued in some areas.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

NOLA is in a big in the ground, well below mean sea-level. It is at the end of the Mississippi River, the watershed system that drains half of North America. Why am I not surprised when it gets flooded? At least the Dutch, in similar circumstances built Windmills to keep constantly pumping out the water.

snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

In fairness NOLA wasn’t below sea level to begin with - it’s the works of engineers that put it there, and now it’s sinking more and more each year.
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Well, all the money put into re-engineering and rebuilding the levees seems to have paid off, but the regional power grid is fucked. Can't catch a break.
GAH!