Beating up women for fun

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Big RR

Re: Beating up women for fun

Post by Big RR »

Indeed, I think if we are to continue women's sports (for the reasons we now have them), there may well have to be some denial of opportunity to trans persons; perhaps we will need separate divisions open to trans individuals, much as I recall body building had (or still has, I really don't know natural (no use of chemicals like steroids) and open divisions. It is definitely a problem that needs to be addressed.

And it is likely that these rules will have to be employee, at least, in high school. In some sports where significant training/playing opportunities are required well before high school to be successful, it may have to be implemented at a younger age.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

So we're going to deny ALL trans children (or at least, all trans girls) the ability to participate in school sports because there MIGHT be the odd trans girl here and there who MIGHT aspire to be good enough that she MIGHT challenge the highest performing cisgender girls.

In 99.999% of cases this is a solution going in desperate search of a problem. And if that contributes to making trans children feel like they are seen as unnatural freaks even more than they already do, that's clearly a small price to pay to salve the ego of some cis girl who believes she is owed the right to become the next Florence Griffith-Joyner.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Scooter wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:32 pm
So we're going to deny ALL trans children (or at least, all trans girls) the ability to participate in school sports because there MIGHT be the odd trans girl here and there who MIGHT aspire to be good enough that she MIGHT challenge the highest performing cisgender girls.

In 99.999% of cases this is a solution going in desperate search of a problem. And if that contributes to making trans children feel like they are seen as unnatural freaks even more than they already do, that's clearly a small price to pay to salve the ego of some cis girl who believes she is owed the right to become the next Florence Griffith-Joyner.
You are totally disregarding the legitimate concerns regarding differences in strength and endurance that are very well grounded in science.

And yes, I am first in the corner of girls and women who have been oppressed by the patriarchy for thousands of years and just got a foot in the door to equitable access to sport within my lifetime. Sorry not sorry.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Posting this link again; Scooter, would love to know if you bothered reading the science set forth in it regarding the differences between girls and boys body strength and endurance (based on lung capacity, etc.) that is set forth in the article and what your argument is for how it isn’t relevant to the reality of girls in junior high and high school competing against trans girls with the strength and endurance of boys?
BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:54 pm
For those who are interested, there is a lot of carefully sourced science in this article establishing why trans women fighting biological women is inherently unfair and potentially very dangerous.

https://sweetscienceoffighting.com/tran ... e-madness/[\quote]
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Here is a case that I found disturbing which of course ends up totally politicized - cis girls represented by conservative legal group, trans girls by ACLU - but raises serious concerns about fairness for girls competing in athletics in high school. The trans girls in question refuse to reveal whether they are even taking testosterone suppression therapy while competing against their cis girl teammates/competitors.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... igh-school

The case was ultimately dismissed on procedural grounds because both trans girls graduated before the case could be decided on merit. The questions it raises remain relevant.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I'm not dismissing the concerns, only questioning the extreme solution being proposed to what so far has only show up as isolated blips on the radar.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

242258620_3957242161047203_7754946388415190494_n.jpg
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Thank you. Duly stolen
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts