It's the end of civilization as we know it . . .

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
ex-khobar Andy

It's the end of civilization as we know it . . .

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

MajGenl.Meade

Re: It's the end of civilization as we know it . . .

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

We can’t connect to the server at www.facebook.com.

If that address is correct, here are three other things you can try:

Try again later.
Check your network connection.
If you are connected but behind a firewall, check that Firefox has permission to access the Web.

Also Instagram and (aaaaaarrrrgh) WhatsApp!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Ahh I’ve been wondering what’s going on. Acces has been diminishing all morning
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Zuckerberg and Facebook are apparently having their own version of a "Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" today.   According to reports, it appears to be affecting Instagram, Messenger, and What's Aop as well (personally, I wouldn't know; I don't use any of this sort of shit to start with).   And Facebook stock dropped almost another 5% today (for a total decline of almost 15% since mid-September) following allegations made public by a corporate whistleblower.

Now, if we can just get something similar to happen to Tik-Tok and Twatter, we may yet be able to save the world from itself....
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

It's a disaster of epic proportions!

From an article is SFgate -
"So many people are reliant on Facebook, WhatsApp or Instagram as a primary mode of communication that losing access for so long can make them vulnerable to criminals taking advantage of the outage, said Rachel Tobac, a hacker and CEO of SocialProof Security.

“They don’t know how to contact the people in their lives without it,” she said. “They’re more susceptible to social engineering because they’re so desperate to communicate.” Tobac said during previous outages, some people have received emails promising to restore their social media account by clicking on a malicious link that can expose their personal data."
source

I'd like to start a non-internet group called "GetaLife" but I'm not sure how to go about it without using the internet.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I would love it if the outtage was permanent, to be honest. Facebook is the root of much current evil in this world.

Congress needs to act to recognize Facebook as the publisher it is, and let the lawsuits begin. That motherfucker Zuckerberg needs to start feeling some pain so he will finally stop inciting hate for profit.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:50 pm
I would love it if the outtage was permanent, to be honest. Facebook is the root of much current evil in this world.

Congress needs to act to recognize Facebook as the publisher it is, and let the lawsuits begin. That motherfucker Zuckerberg needs to start feeling some pain so he will finally stop inciting hate for profit.
I carry no water for Zuckerberg but I imagine that Gutenberg and Alexander Graham Bell saw similar opposition to their inventions. The world will have to change, to learn to live with it. That genie has long escaped its bottle.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Just saw a comment: "Let's keep Facebook down until we achieve herd immunity"
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Some great comments so far:

"Tell your conservative family members that Facebook is working fine for you."

"Quick, everyone call their anti-vaxx relatives/friends and tell them Facebook is only available with proof of vaccine."

"I heard that one of the signs of not making the rapture was losing access to Facebook."

"I heard President Biden ordered them to block any counties that voted for Trump."
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Another one:

"Quick, let's revive democracy and get everyone vaccinated while we've got the chance."
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

One more (from George Takei, on Facebook):
George Takei Facebook unplug.jpg
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

That's a violation of the Prime Directive, Mr. Sulu.
You should have just left well enough alone.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

I enjoy Facebook, and find it very useful. Anyone considering it "evil" needs to check their own use.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The fact that it personally cost Mark Zuckerberg $6 billion makes it all worth it.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

244556726_10158047455393204_4553172250178181402_n.jpg

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

as a smug Luddite, my life went on just fine, thank you. I don't even know my Google password.

snailgate

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Jim Wright is back a his old stand. He shifted to facebook for a while. Yet, yesterday he posted an essay that is strangely sympathetic to the users of Facebook.

https://www.stonekettle.com

He writes about his father, as time used him up and his life grew limited. I read carefully. I see that in my own life coming closer and closer. I remember RayThom. His body was failing him when I first met him at a face-to-face of friends from the Cafe Dartre. The meeting was in Philly, easy walking distance from the real, original Pat's Steaks. Yet as his body limited him, he found beauty and fun. I loved him. I was fortunate to be just an easy automobile ride from his final apartment. He claimed to be a radical, fundamental atheist. He never told me to stop sending him Christmas Cards. I miss him. In this time of plague and other more normal life ending events, that list "I miss him" gets longer, even as my Christmas card list shrinks.

Jim Wright gives strong reasons to dump my smugness about the internet dark alleys of social media.

snailgate

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Interesting perspective BP; thanks for posting it.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

On a related note, I’m currently watching 15 Minutes of Shame, a documentary just released on HBOMAX. I think many folks here would find it very interesting.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan