Quotable Quotes

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
BoSoxGal

Quotable Quotes

Post by BoSoxGal »

One must, in one's life, make a choice between boredom and suffering.
~ Madame de Staël
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Re: Quotable Quotes

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I chose neither.

SFSG.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

What a baseless and narrow minded quote. Someone must be a miserable pessimist.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Well I am now in my 80th decade and perhaps my memory is slipping, But I cannot remember any instance where I had to make that choice.

snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The thread is meant to be a place to post intriguing quotes that provide food for thought.

Carry on.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

More from Madame de Staël:
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs.
We understand death for the first time when he puts his hand upon one whom we love.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Nearly all marriages, even happy ones, are mistakes: in the sense that almost certainly (in a more perfect world, or even with a little more care in this very imperfect one) both partners might be found more suitable mates. But the real soul-mate is the one you are actually married to.
~ J. R. R. Tolkien (1892 - 1973), Letter to Michael Tolkien, March 1941
Last edited by Econoline on Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Male, female, nonbinary, transgender: at the end of the day, everyone's preferred pronoun is "I".
— The Tweet of God (https://twitter.com/TheTweetOfGod/status/1379631693712121856)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

“No matter what you believe, you will someday meet a complete idiot who agrees with you.”
— Alex Krislov
God @The Tweet of God

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

"The discovery of truth is prevented more effectively, not by the false appearance of things present and which mislead into error, not directly by weakness of the reasoning powers, but by preconceived opinion, by prejudice."

Artur Schopenhauer

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

"The future ain't what it used to be."

--- L.P. Berra
GAH!

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

A wasted youth is better, by far, than a wise and productive old age.
-Jim Steinman

Gob

Post by Gob »

“Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.”
Spike Milligan
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

“You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.”
— Anne Lamott
God @The Tweet of God

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

The word morality, if we met it in the Bible, would surprise us as much as the word telephone or motor car.
—— George Bernard Shaw
God @The Tweet of God

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

"Love, with very young people, is a heartless business. We drink at that age from thirst, or to get drunk; it is only later in life that we occupy ourselves with the individuality of our wine."
--
Isak Dinesen
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.

Isaac Asimov

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Econoline wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:16 am
The word morality, if we met it in the Bible, would surprise us as much as the word telephone or motor car.
—— George Bernard Shaw
One of the most dumbshit quotes of all time. Typical of GBS to believe that only modern smart people could be moral and know right from wrong. Not to mention that the concept appears often but the word hadn't been coined. Damn communist! :lol:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

You never notice propaganda that you already agree with.
— David Brin
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

"Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.   If the God‐​given understanding of your mind does not resist a demand to believe what is impossible, then you will not resist a demand to do wrong to that God‐​given sense of justice in your heart.”
   — Voltaire
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?