The Theranos trial

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
MajGenl.Meade

Re: The Theranos trial

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

'doddard' - that's nice. Thanks for the word. :ok
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

rubato wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:29 am
What is striking about the Theranos board is that none of them are physical scientists in a field where physical science is everything. They were doddards like Schultz who lacked the wit to ask even one cogent question about her "technology". She recruited people with a lot of public cachet and no critical thinking on the subject.

She was a con driven by ego and deserves to go to prison for a good long hitch. Having her child raised by a proven liar is worse than being raised by a foster family.

yrs,
rubato
I agree with everything you’ve said but would just point out her child will be raised by a father who had the poor judgment to marry and procreate with her - not by a foster family.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

rubato

Post by rubato »

being raised by a person who was a systemic liar and fraud is not better than being raised by strangers.

Holmes is a cheat a liar and a con. neither her nor her spawn are owed anything.

yrs,
rubato

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Rubato has hit liberty levels of “what the fuck is he even talking about”
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Crackpot wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:07 pm
Rubato has hit liberty levels of “what the fuck is he even talking about”
Ozzie has done that for years.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Going to the jury now - will this psychopath go to the slammer or did she stupify the jurors just like she did her board and billionaire investors?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Another jury that wasn’t bamboozled! The fraudster is GUILTY and faces up to 20 years in prison. I hope the judge doesn’t go easy on her.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

It's interesting seeing some of the reporting and the comments. NYT reporting has almost all been done by two women. Erin Griffith and Erin Woo. Yet there are those that say she (Holmes) has been busted because sho does only what Silicon Valley has done for years but of course she's a woman so they come down on her like a ton of bricks.
A jury of eight men and four women took 50 hours over seven days of deliberations to reach a verdict, convicting her of three counts of wire fraud and one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud by lying to investors to raise money for her company.

Ms. Holmes was found not guilty on four other counts related to defrauding patients who had used Theranos’s blood tests. The jury was unable to reach a verdict on three counts of deceiving investors, for which Judge Edward J. Davila of California’s Northern District said he planned to declare a mistrial.
(From NYT.)

It does surprise me that she was not found guilty of defrauding patients. It may be that the 'defrauding patients' thing was because she used conventional labs to run patient tests and lied that it was done using her bogus technology. So patients did not in fact suffer. (I am speculating.)

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I was surprised by that NG too, because I assume they presented the evidence that in fact there was a pattern of erroneous test results provided to patients using the Theranos technology.

Last night after the news of the verdict I rewatched The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley. It’s an excellent HBO documentary on Theranos and Holmes, and seeing it again made me seethe at her outrageous hubris and lies, and made me extra grateful for the jury’s wisdom. She is a snake of the lowest order, a serious malignant narcissist, and she has zero remorse over her actions or empathy for her victims - patients, investors, her Theranos team including the biochemist/chief Theranos scientist Ian Gibbons whom she drove to suicide. Fuck her. FUCK HER!
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:57 pm
Last night after the news of the verdict I rewatched The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley. It’s an excellent HBO documentary on Theranos and Holmes, and seeing it again made me seethe at her outrageous hubris and lies, and made me extra grateful for the jury’s wisdom. She is a snake of the lowest order, a serious malignant narcissist, and she has zero remorse over her actions or empathy for her victims - patients, investors, her Theranos team including the biochemist/chief Theranos scientist Ian Gibbons whom she drove to suicide. Fuck her. FUCK HER!
Heat up the tar pots and start plucking those chickens, eh, BSG?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?