If You Don't Like It, Don't Watch It

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Gob

Re: If You Don't Like It, Don't Watch It

Post by Gob »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:44 pm

Sauce for goose is sauce for gander, probably as long as they both agree that's what they are. :lol:
Sauce for the goose is sauce for the "theygoose".
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

rubato

Post by rubato »

There is a faction of the trans community who are neo-fascists and would, without thought, persecute anyone who did not share their kneejerk sentiments. JK Rowling and Jordan Peterson for two examples.

Chapelle is right to mock them.

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

Oh bollocks, I agree....
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I don't know if Chappelle is "right" to mock anyone, nor how we can determine whether he is "right" or not;, but he certainly has the right to do so, just as anyone else has the right to listen or not as he/she sees fit. The right goes both ways, and if someone wants to condemn his statements/acts and encourage others not to listen, then they have that right as well.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Big RR wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:03 pm
I don't know if Chappelle is "right" to mock anyone, nor how we can determine whether he is "right" or not;, but he certainly has the right to do so, just as anyone else has the right to listen or not as he/she sees fit. The right goes both ways, and if someone wants to condemn his statements/acts and encourage others not to listen, then they have that right as well.
I agree with this, but how messed up is it that trans persons bullied a trans woman comedian to the point of suicide for daring to support Dave Chappelle? Sure I get that suicide is never about just one thing - but it is well known that trans people are at much higher risk of suicide, so how could they possibly think that bullying her incessantly was an appropriate method to show their disagreement with her?

That kind of behavior smacks of thinking people are better off dead if they fail to tow the party line.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:30 pm
trans persons bullied a trans woman comedian to the point of suicide for daring to support Dave Chappelle
I get that this is the narrative Chapelle wants to put out there, but do we actually know that any of it is true? Either that she supported him, or she was "bullied", incessantly or otherwise, or that it played any role in her suicide?

And I don't see Chapelle bringing her up at all as any different than "some of my best friends are Black/Jewish/gay".
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Scooter wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:42 am
BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:30 pm
trans persons bullied a trans woman comedian to the point of suicide for daring to support Dave Chappelle
I get that this is the narrative Chapelle wants to put out there, but do we actually know that any of it is true? Either that she supported him, or she was "bullied", incessantly or otherwise, or that it played any role in her suicide?

And I don't see Chapelle bringing her up at all as any different than "some of my best friends are Black/Jewish/gay".
A simple google search would reveal numerous articles currently running about Daphne Dorman’s friendship with Dave Chappelle and the role that bullying from the trans community played in her suicide - obviously it cannot be isolated as the only cause because she had battled with childhood PTSD and suicidal ideation for years, but she killed herself after months of receiving blowback from other trans people (and presumably some allies) after she’d publicly supported Chappelle after a previous stand up special received criticism for his references to trans people, so it seems likely to have played a role.

This one is from the Daily Mail but there are many others in other news media which is where I read about it - I haven’t seen the stand up special that caused all the furor. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailym ... pelle.html
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

So lots of second and third hand claims of this bullying, that went on for "months" allegedly, but no actual examples have been brought forth? Or at least, an account that is relatively contemporaneous, rather than dating after Chapelle made his claims?

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Feel free to do the research to discredit her family’s claims: https://mobile.twitter.com/daphnedorman?lang=en
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

Obviously, like black people, trans people can do no wrong.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Some evidence that they actually have would be nice.

I'm not seeing anything remotely like "bullying" on her Twitter account. Not easy to parse, since 99% of the replies to her tweets were made in the last few weeks, two years after her death, when she was canonized as the patron saint of transphobes. Not seeing any replies that aren't positive on anything she posted* in the months prior to her death. One post to the effect of "they shouldn't have done that to you" just after she died, which could be referring to anything.

Doesn't disprove the claim of bullying, because she didn't have a big Twitter presence, and it could have occurred elsewhere. But again, some direct evidence of the claim would be nice, which otherwise serves as an all too convenient narrative in support of Chapelle's latest offensive.

* I looked at "tweets and replies", so not only what she posted on her own page, but any reply she made to anyone else's posts.

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »