Alec Baldwin Kills Cinematographer

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
ex-khobar Andy

What a total fucking fuckhead

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

From Huff Post
Donald Trump Jr. wasted little time in attempting to capitalize on the tragic prop-gun death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, who was accidentally killed by actor Alec Baldwin, an outspoken GOP critic.

The former president’s son is now selling shirts and hoodies that read “Guns Don’t Kill People, Alec Baldwin Kills People” on his website for $27.99.
When you think they can't go any lower, they manage to surprise you. No doubt there will be those who say something like "You libs laughed when Dick Cheney shot that guy!" Well no-one was killed; and Cheney knew he was dealing with live ammunition.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: What a total fucking fuckhead

Post by Bicycle Bill »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:39 pm
From Huff Post
Donald Trump Jr. wasted little time in attempting to capitalize on the tragic prop-gun death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, who was accidentally killed by actor Alec Baldwin, an outspoken GOP critic.

The former president’s son is now selling shirts and hoodies that read “Guns Don’t Kill People, Alec Baldwin Kills People” on his website for $27.99.
When you think they can't go any lower, they manage to surprise you. No doubt there will be those who say something like "You libs laughed when Dick Cheney shot that guy!" Well no-one was killed; and Cheney knew he was dealing with live ammunition.
Frankly, I'm long past being surprised or shocked by anything coming from a Trumpanzee — or anyone else who has an 'R' listed after their name.  Saw earlier today that someone had trolled the comments section of a blog I follow.   Regardless of the subject of the original blog entry, this jackwad posted — as 'Anonymous', of course (that is, no 'handle' like we go by around here) — "PRESIDENT Trump has killed less People than alec baldwin" (and of course with caps on the word 'President', btw, as if Trump was still in the Oval Office)

When it came to the blog-owner/moderator's attention she deleted them and left an explanation as to why ... so then this shit-for-brains re-posted it...
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Re: Alec Baldwin Kills Cinematographer

Post by Econoline »

ACTOR WITH GUN.jpg
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Trump aside (hopefully far aside), I think Gallows Humor for events like this has always been popular; I recall when Vic Morrow as killed in an onset helicopter incident, the joke was they knew he had dandruff because they found his head and shoulders in the bushes. We could go back and find many similar statements ("Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"). It's just the way people are.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Things you couldn't make up, part XXXIV
Former President Donald Trump outrageously suggested 'nutjob' Alec Baldwin intentionally shot cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the Rust set, during a radio interview Thursday.

'In my opinion, he had something to do with it,' Trump said of Baldwin - who played Trump on Saturday Night Live - to conservative radio show host Chris Stigall. 'Who would take a gun and point it at a cinematographer and pull the trigger?' Trump asked. 'Maybe he loaded it,' the former president also floated.

The ex-president said he believed Baldwin could be responsible because he's a 'troubled guy,' 'there's something wrong with him' and he 'gets into fistfights with reporters.'
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Former President Donald Trump outrageously suggested 'nutjob' Alec Baldwin intentionally shot cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the Rust set, during a radio interview Thursday.

'In my opinion, he had something to do with it,' Trump said of Baldwin - who played Trump on Saturday Night Live - to conservative radio show host Chris Stigall. 'Who would take a gun and point it at a cinematographer and pull the trigger?' Trump asked. 'Maybe he loaded it,' the former president also floated.

The ex-president said he believed Baldwin could be responsible because he's a 'troubled guy,' 'there's something wrong with him' and he 'gets into fistfights with reporters.'
At what point does a statement like that cross the line between an opinion that is clearly bullshit and slander, making the person who uttered such nonsense subject to criminal charges or a civil court action?   Maybe that's what Dumb'old Trump needs — to be forced onto the defensive, under attack from all sides and on multiple issues, sort of like a larger prey animal being hounded and eventually brought down by a pack of wolves or hyenas.

Or is the former Liar-in-Chief still in the clear because he — or more likely his handlers and speech writers — made sure to include the phrase about it being 'in his opinion'?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Donald Trump sued Bill Maher for suggesting his father was an orangutan who mated with his mother - hence the orange.

I should think it would be a much better cause of action for Alec Baldwin to sue Trump for alleging he intentionally killed his cinematographer.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I recall when Elon Musk called one of the Thai boys cave rescuers - Vernon Unsworth - pedo guy. He was found by an LA jury not to have defamed Unsworth who sued him for some undisclosed amount. Seems that if you are rich enough you can buy the justice you need.

In other news Michael Jackson is still dead.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

This doesn't make any sense to me...

Alec Baldwin says he 'didn't pull the trigger' in 1st interview since 'Rust' shooting

Alec Baldwin is giving his first TV interview since the Rust shooting — and it's an emotional one.

The first preview for the ABC News sit-down sees Baldwin breaking down in tears as he talks about cinematographer Halyna Hutchins being fatally shot with a prop gun on Oct. 21.

The real surprise, however, was George Stephanopoulos asking why he fired the gun when it wasn't in the script and Baldwin replied, "The trigger wasn't pulled. I didn't pull the trigger."

So he never pulled the trigger? "No, no, no, no," Baldwin answered. "I would never point a gun at anyone and pull the trigger at them, never." But there was no explanation beyond that.

Baldwin also said he had "no idea" how a live bullet got onto the set of the film, which he not only starred in but produced.

He added, "Someone put a live bullet in a gun, a bullet that wasn't even supposed to be on the property."

Baldwin said he keeps going over what transpired that day in his mind, admitting, "I think back and I think of what could I have done."

He called Hutchins "someone who was loved by everyone who worked with [her] and liked by everyone who worked with [her] and admired..." breaking down in tears.

"Even now I find it hard to believe that" it happened," he said. "It doesn't seem real to me."

On that fateful day, Baldwin had a .45 Long Colt revolver with him in a pew of a church set while Hutchins and others set up cameras for a shot in the western film at the Bonanza Creek Ranch near Santa Fe, N.M. When the gun discharged, the bullet fatally hit Hutchins and also wounded director Joel Souza.

The Santa Fe County Sheriff's Department has been investigating the tragedy. They said armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, and assistant director Dave Halls, who handed the gun to Baldwin, are "obviously the focus of the investigation." However, nobody had been ruled out.

On Tuesday, a search warrant issued stated the live ammunition may have come from PDQ Arm & Prop LLC in Albuquerque, which is owned by Seth Kenney. Kenney had a link to Gutierrez Reed's father, Thell Reed, a longtime Hollywood armorer, recently working on a separate film project with him.

Gutierrez Reed — who has been criticized over her lack of experience, having been an armorer on just one other big film — has said she had no idea how a live round got put in a box with dummy rounds. For his part, Halls said he should have checked the gun more thoroughly before giving it to Baldwin, but didn't.

The preview clip also sees Stephanopoulos asking Baldwin about George Clooney and other leading men who said they always thoroughly examine a weapon themselves.

Baldwin's wife, Hilaria, shared a post about keeping "one foot in front of the other" as the preview clip was released.

There are multiple lawsuits filed over the shooting, including by the film's gaffer Serge Svetnoy over "general negligence" against Baldwin, Gutierrez Reed, Halls, prop master Sarah Zachry, the production and its financial backers. Script supervisor Mamie Mitchell is suing Baldwin as well as a patchwork of other production companies and individual producers and crew members.

Hutchins's husband, Matthew, has hired lawyers specializing in wrongful death cases.

Baldwin was seen with Matthew and Halyna's son in New Mexico immediately after the director of photography's death, but it's unclear what that relationship is now as the investigation unfolds.

Matthew is set to make his first public appearance at WrapWomen's fourth annual Power Women Summit on Wednesday honoring his late wife.

Baldwin's interview airs Thursday at 8 p.m. ET on ABC and streams on Hulu later that night.
source

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I've fired rifles at targets (.303 Lee Enfield, bolt action) but I know nothing about pistols.

If I understand correctly, and someone here will tell me if I am wrong, a Long Colt 45 is single action which means that you have to cock it (pull back the hammer) and then pull the trigger. So to make it go bang you have to do two things. It's difficult to imagine how it would go off accidentally.

Either way, I'm not sure why Baldwin would lie about it. Whether or not he pulled the trigger (and cocked it) is beside the point: whatever blame there is should attach to whoever declared the weapon safe which is presumably the armorer.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:36 am
I've fired rifles at targets (.303 Lee Enfield, bolt action) but I know nothing about pistols.

If I understand correctly, and someone here will tell me if I am wrong, a Long Colt 45 is single action which means that you have to cock it (pull back the hammer) and then pull the trigger. So to make it go bang you have to do two things. It's difficult to imagine how it would go off accidentally.
Correct...if it's what I expect it is, it's what most people would probably call a "cowboy gun", almost certainly a Colt Peacemaker. It is single-action, and has to be manually cocked. HOWEVER...most Peacemakers had a somewhat archaic and imperfectly reliable hammer safety (it is, after all, essentially an 1860s design), where, if not handled properly, COULD cause it to fire without pulling the trigger or cocking the hammer. Indeed: to engage the safety notch, the hammer has to, counter-intuitively, be pulled back slightly-if it is not and all the chambers are loaded, the firing pin is resting against the round in the barrel-dropping it, hitting it, or even pressing the hammer could cause it to fire. (No-modern revolvers will NOT do this-the copies made by Beretta also will not do this.)

Source: my uncle, who is very familiar with Peacemakers.
Either way, I'm not sure why Baldwin would lie about it. Whether or not he pulled the trigger (and cocked it) is beside the point: whatever blame there is should attach to whoever declared the weapon safe which is presumably the armorer.
He's probably engaged in CYA.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

It isn’t just antique guns that fire themselves, this is an issue that has arisen with modern weaponry too.

https://abc7chicago.com/sig-sauer-lawsu ... /10974219/

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2018/06 ... drop-fire/

That’s just one model, but I can recall other lawsuits over the years addressing poorly designed firearms that fired spontaneously. Guns are no joke and even strict adherence to firearm safety practices won’t always protect you.

In this case whatever mistakes Baldwin made don’t rise anywhere to the level of the mistake of having live ammunition on the set. The armorer will never work in that field again - or at least she shouldn’t. The ammo supplier in Albuquerque may also be in very deep shit for supplying dummies and blanks with live rounds mixed in.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:44 am
ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:36 am
He's probably engaged in CYA.
That's kind of my point. I know other actors have said that they always check the weapon themselves (G Clooney for example) but if the armorer says it's safe you should be able to take that to the bank, and pull the trigger as much as you like. Of course Baldwin was also a producer (the boss producer??) on the movie so I would think that more blame might attach to him in that role if he hired an inexperienced or non-union armorer (and, to be clear, I don't know if he did) in order to save $$$.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I have been in a couple of plays where guns loaded with blanks were fired and, while some of us did check them in advance, they usually sat on the set for an extended time (such as in a desk drawer) until removed by the actor--we had to trust the director and person in charge of the weapons (we never called them an armorer). I recall a play I was in where I had to take a gun from my desk drawer and shoot someone across the desk; if someone had loaded the handgun with live ammo, I never would have known (FWIW, this was a special stage pistol modified to contain only one round, and I believe it was difficult to load, but I think anyone who knew about the stage weapons could have substituted live ammo). Further, I don't know if the barrell would take a liveshot, but it could clearly fire it well enough to hurt or kill someone at close range. Thus one thing was clearly wrong on this set--there never should have been ANY live ammunition brought onto the set. Sure, blanks can hurt, even kill; but actors are taught to handle blank loaded weapons to minimize this hazard, but live rounds are always a concern.

As for Baldwin being a producer--I don't know. there are producers that run the production, and other producers who are just actors insisting on the credit (and maybe some share of the profits), but do no actual work. Not sure what sort od producer Baldwin was.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:09 pm
It isn’t just antique guns that fire themselves, this is an issue that has arisen with modern weaponry too.

https://abc7chicago.com/sig-sauer-lawsu ... /10974219/

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2018/06 ... drop-fire/
Yes-Taurus also had a bunch of pistols that would fire if shaken or dropped. But those are poor designs or poor QC...the Peacemaker can do it even if everything is working properly, if the person handling it isn't familiar with it.
That’s just one model, but I can recall other lawsuits over the years addressing poorly designed firearms that fired spontaneously. Guns are no joke and even strict adherence to firearm safety practices won’t always protect you.
Yes, it will. ALWAYS point the muzzle in a safe direction. Treat all guns as loaded unless you have personally verified it is not, or there is obvious visual evidence that it cannot fire. (Cylinder open on a revolver, bolt out of a rifle, action open on a double-barrel shotgun, etc.)
In this case whatever mistakes Baldwin made don’t rise anywhere to the level of the mistake of having live ammunition on the set. The armorer will never work in that field again - or at least she shouldn’t. The ammo supplier in Albuquerque may also be in very deep shit for supplying dummies and blanks with live rounds mixed in.
Of course...we still don't know (and may never know) who actually brought the live rounds on set.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:51 pm
Yes, it will. ALWAYS point the muzzle in a safe direction. Treat all guns as loaded unless you have personally verified it is not, or there is obvious visual evidence that it cannot fire. (Cylinder open on a revolver, bolt out of a rifle, action open on a double-barrel shotgun, etc.)
If you read the links I provided they include stories of experienced, careful firearms owners - some law enforcement officers- who were wounded by a P320 while following all firearms safety rules. Honest.
~ Carl Sagan

liberty

Post by liberty »

How do we know this wasn't first-degree murder? Alec Baldwin is known to be a conservative hater. Could the woman he killed have been a closet conservative, and Baldwin discovered that fact? In Hollywood, conservatives must be in the closet to work. Who was that conservative representative he wanted to torture to death back in the 1990s during the Clinton impeachment?

https://nypost.com/2023/01/19/alec-bald ... -hutchins/
Alec Baldwin, armorer charged with involuntary manslaughter in fatal ‘Rust’ shooting of Halyna Hutchins
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

liberty

Re: What a total fucking fuckhead

Post by liberty »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:22 pm
ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:39 pm
From Huff Post

Frankly, I'm long past being surprised or shocked by anything coming from a Trumpanzee — or anyone else who has an 'R' listed after their name.  Saw earlier today that someone had trolled the comments section of a blog I follow.   Regardless of the subject of the original blog entry, this jackwad posted — as 'Anonymous', of course (that is, no 'handle' like we go by around here) — "PRESIDENT Trump has killed less People than alec baldwin" (and of course with caps on the word 'President', btw, as if Trump was still in the Oval Office)

When it came to the blog-owner/moderator's attention she deleted them and left an explanation as to why ... so then this shit-for-brains re-posted it...
-"BB"-
Are you saying Sit Head reposted it?
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

It will be interesting to see a prosecutor attempt to make this case. The implication would be that every actor using a firearm on set is personally responsible for ensuring that it doesn't contain real ammunition. How will they show this to be practical when shooting 40 or 50 takes of a scene, with stagehands handling and moving said weapons between every take?
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Not that hard with a revolver, which is what Mr. A.Baldwin had. Point the barrel up and look at the front of the cylinder, pull the hammer back slightly to unlock the cylinder and turn it so you can see the chamber that was under the hammer. Agreed, not so simple with pistols. The answer is to use replica versions of the pistols or revolvers that will not handle real ammo. Such props have been designed for theatrical use for for along time. If you must use the real thing the actor loads the firearm themself. On repeated takes,might be good training for the performer to know just how much trouble it is to load the 9mm double stack magazine typical today.

I think the most important part of this incident is determining just how in hell the live ammo got on set. The continued assertion 'I did not pull the trigger' is pretty weak, considering the technical examination that has been done after the shooting. I suspect the modern safety rule "keep your finger out of the trigger guard and against the frame of the firearm until actually firing" is not taught to many actors. The 'cowboy' revolver style used in most western movies was intentionally designed so the trigger was very close to the back of the trigger guard and moved a very short distance. Modern 'good' triggers on hunting or target rifles are designed to take lots of pressure to fire, but little or no perceived movement.

snailgate