Alec Baldwin Kills Cinematographer

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Big RR

Re: Alec Baldwin Kills Cinematographer

Post by Big RR »

I see your point Meade, but what are universal and not affected by situational concerns; going to the 10 commandments, for example, we are told not to kill, but the Bible is full of stories where the faithful killed the heathens and claimed their actions were blessed by the Lord, and religious authorities (most, not all) generally condone killing in the name of one's government is, likewise not only permissible but a moral imperative; then we have the more generic exemptions--killing in defense of oneself or others, killing to defend ones property, etc., not to mention capital punishment--embraced by some religious authorities and condemned by others. The situational concerns start to whittle away at a universal moral ethic--and these analyses are made by men, not handed down by god on stone tablets. The same is true for other "universal" moral principles--the same analyses also apply. How does that fit into your "Either there is a universal ethic or there is not". Certainly, we cannot not just decree morality on personal whims (that is the province of many religious leaders :nana ), but we also cannot ignore the situational analyses and leave these concerns stagnant--otherwise, things like slavery would still be legal and moral.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

The province of many religious leaders indeed - there's no escaping error and sin in humans. Well, one way but . . .

The question is not at all connected to what a bunch of people did (or why they did it) coupla thousand years ago. Question is, what is the ethical ground for morality?

It cannot come from things. The inanimate never yet produced an ethic and no one obeys the principle of a lump of wood. It can only be personal. You might argue that there's a vote and if 51% of the people surveyed agree that X is wrong, then the other 49% can go boil their heads, but that is neither universal nor ethical. Whatever is situational is not universal - it is not "ought" or "ought not" but "it depends".

And depends upon whose judgement? The quest is for the ground of ethics/morality, rather than quibbling about each and every possible action. :o
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:20 am
.... I don't personally doubt her account but can someone be convicted of a heinous crime (yes I know it's a civil trial and not a criminal rape case per se) based on little evidence except the say-so of another?.....
BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:16 pm
Honestly, when I read this sentence I felt an overwhelming urge to want to punch you in your fucking face.....
I think you've overreacted. It sounds to me like Andy is just asking a question.

If so, my thought is that you can convict anyone for anything based on one person's "say-so". All you need to do is convince a jury.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

In the example given, there was no doubt about the dead bodies laying around. False equivalence. How would it be if I swore that I saw Big RR kill people 25 years ago and dispose of the bodies so no trace of a crime could ever be found except for my statement?

(Don't worry BigRR. I didn't see you. It's hypothetical)
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Ah yes, a vagina cannot be trusted to relate whether it was violated or not. That is the crux of the matter, that a hole between a woman’s or little girl’s legs is culturally presumed to be in want of a penis to fill it, and always roaming about tempting those penises which cannot be blamed for falling into the hole as penises will. It’s always the hole’s fault, the hole is a cunt and a liar after all - she was born that way, made that way by God.

Look my anger is not directed solely at Andy, as I believe he knows. I am fucking angry at everyone who harbors some of that belief system in them, and they count in the billions - including far too many people with holes between their legs. Lots of nice people otherwise who just don’t trust women and girls to tell the truth about their holes. This is why the less than 1% of sexual assault/rape cases which ever even get to trial have a sub 50% conviction rate. Vaginas cannot be trusted when providing testimonial evidence, at least not in cases having to do with an assault on the vagina.

Until you have had to sit in a room with a victim of sexual assault and explain the statistics to her, explain the criminal justice process and the attacks she will endure by defense counsel and media and neighbors too, explain that while the state is willing to fight as hard as legally possible for her and passionately argue for justice for her, she needs to know how unlikely the outcome is to be what she wants and especially in the case of a perpetrator of some public notoriety how much vilification she will endure on social media or in the small town social grinder etc. - you don’t get to judge my rage. And when you are feeling like I’m an unreasonable cunt, remember that I have had to have that conversation with the mothers of single digit aged daughters raped repeatedly by fathers, or trusted friends of family. I have had to try somehow to explain the rabid thinking and cold hearts of jurors - neighbors, peers, friends.

Our society’s attitudes toward victims of sexual assault remain profoundly sick. And we are amongst the more progressive societies on the planet with regard to this issue so just imagine how much more awful it is to be a woman or girl in most of the rest of the world.

My rage is justified and I make zero apologies for it nor do I care if it makes anyone uncomfortable. You SHOULD be uncomfortable about this issue and the ‘unconscious bias’ you carry in you toward vaginas and their capacity for honesty.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Unlike France, in the USA a person is innocent until proven guilty. I know that in a civil case the burden is more one of probability than certainty (such as that ever can be).

If two people commenting on the difficulty of either "proving" or providing sufficient probability on a purely spoken accusation is parsed into something about talking vaginas, then the problem lies with the parser.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Anyone who is comfortable at accusation equaling guilt is the problem. An accusation is NOT and CANNOT BE proof.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:07 pm
An accusation is NOT and CANNOT BE proof.
A patently false assertion, if you are discussing the justice system in the United States of America. People are convicted all the time on accusations and circumstantial evidence alone.

It’s only much more difficult to accomplish in sexual assault cases because juries - as reflected in the comments of people who post here - harbor deep seated suspicion of any claims made by vaginas and children.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

How odd that Jarl (for whom I hold no candle) makes a reasonable remark about accusation alone (as he clearly intended) and is then aha-gotcha-d by BSG who brings in accusation PLUS "circumstantial evidence" as if that's a reasonable counter. Who said anything about any evidence other than an accusation?

Why does that once again invoke talking vaginas and children (who have nothing whatever to do with it)

Or perhaps I'm asking the wrong question. What circumstantial evidence is involved in this case? Or is there only an accusation?

AS in murder, rape, theft, and so on, a mere accusation without any other evidence of a crime is justifiably suspect, especially in a criminal case, but still deserving of caution in a civil case and/or in after such a long delay. One can be sensitive to the difficulties that attend such difficult traumas (if there is one) AND be justly dubious about the value of such a claim in proving guilt

It is not enmity - it is caution and respect for the rule of law.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

What is justice? Has no universal answer.

"caution and respect for the rule of law." can easily be experienced as tyranny to those who have no money, no shelter, no hope they shall not be beaten and abandoned by the power of those who have the support and comfort of the rule of law. The law says what ever the Supremes say it is. Free housing for an indefinite period for a mother is no bribe offered to the son. The constitutional right to control one's own reproductive rights is 'constitutionally" removed. This is the rule of law.

snailgate.