Playing the "get out of jail free" card

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Gob

Playing the "get out of jail free" card

Post by Gob »

A former Labour MP facing jail for threatening to throw acid over a suspected love rival reportedly told her supporters: 'I am a black woman in a white court.'

Leicester East MP Claudia Webbe, who has been suspended from the Labour Party and is now an independent, was convicted earlier this month of harassment against suspected love rival Michelle Merritt.

The court heard she had threatened to throw acid and send naked photographs and videos of Ms Merritt to her family.

Ms Webbe, 56, will be sentenced on November 4 but was warned she could face prison.

But in a message apparently sent to her supporters before the verdict, the MP – who denied the harassment claims – said: 'I am a black woman in a white court, facing a white system and white prosecutors.

'I have been deliberately targeted because I am vulnerable.'

It continued: 'I know first-hand the sexism and racism institutions and media use to vilify black women.'

Ms Webbe, who plans to appeal against her conviction, declined to comment yesterday.

Share or co
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”