Judges have way too much power

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Sue U

Re: Judges have way too much power

Post by Sue U »

Joe Guy wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:12 pm
Thanks for the response. I remembered the OJ civil trial but I didn't know if there might be some type of exemption for a minor.
There's no exemption for tort liability solely by virtue if being a minor; once a person has reached the "age of reason" -- the ability to know right from wrong behavior -- s/he is capable of being negligent. Although the rules vary somewhat state to state, it's generally held that a child under 7 or 8 cannot be held legally responsible; from 8 to early teen years there is presumption that the child cannot be legally responsible, but it can be rebutted with a showing that the child actually knew better and could foresee the consequences of his/her acts; 16 and over is generally the same negligence standard for everyone.
GAH!

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:12 am
Rittenhouse wanted to play army or SWAT guy and intentionally put himself into a position where he expected to be threatened. If he hadn't been carrying the AR-15 (or not have gone there in the first place), he wouldn't be perceived as a threat by anyone. He is responsible for 2 deaths that would not have occurred if he was not out there after curfew being an idiot.

Underlying all of this is that the event was happening because a black man, Jacob Blake, had been shot by police. The armed vigilantes were there prepared to shoot people who were protesting the police shooting. Is anyone really surprised that two people were killed in that situation?
This is exactly right, and exactly why I haven't been following the case. It's all too depressingly predictable and the direct result of America's depraved gun culture. This is a sick society.
GAH!

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Sue U wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:18 am
This is exactly right, and exactly why I haven't been following the case. It's all too depressingly predictable and the direct result of America's depraved gun culture. This is a sick society.
Yes it is...

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

And, of course, if Rittenhouse had been Black and seen in the streets that night with that gun, there would have been no trial because he would not have had the chance to shoot anyone, because the cops would have shot him on sight instead of cheering him on like a conquering hero.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Meanwhile, also in Wisconsin, thousands of people are already looking forward to the 20th of November when they will be taking their AR-15s 'hunting rifles' (and other semi-automatic weapons) in hand and heading out into the woods and fields to wage war against the white-tailed deer.

Just think — If Rittenhouse had wanted to kill something with his bang-stick, all he needed to do was wait until the season was open, pay the non-resident license fee, and go out with the rest of them and blaze away.  And if he happened to shoot something — or someone — other than a deer, well, that's just one more hunting accident, right?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Trevor Noah re Kenosha.jpg
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:49 am
Just think — If Rittenhouse had wanted to kill something with his bang-stick, all he needed to do was wait until the season was open, pay the non-resident license fee, and go out with the rest of them and blaze away.  And if he happened to shoot something — or someone — other than a deer, well, that's just one more hunting accident, right?
I was a police reporter for several years in deer-hunting NE Pennsylvania during very troubled economic times in the early 80s. Virtually all the "hunting accidents" were suicides, but they remained recorded as accidents to ensure that life insurance paid off for the family. I can not recall any instance during my time there where any hunter shot another person.
GAH!

rubato

Post by rubato »

You have to attribute to some branch or branches of government the power to govern. Just because you are piqued at one of them is a poor reason to take it away.

If you take the power from this branch you have to ask to whom you will grant it? The judiciary, despite its faults, has a relatively good record in respecting individual rights and the mandates of government.

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

Scooter wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:45 am
And, of course, if Rittenhouse had been Black and seen in the streets that night with that gun, there would have been no trial because he would not have had the chance to shoot anyone, because the cops would have shot him on sight instead of cheering him on like a conquering hero.
How many armed black men were shot that night?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

New Rule

Anyone (other than law enforcement) holding a gun and walking down the street should be shot on sight, regardless of color, pronoun or affiliation
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:16 am
New Rule

Anyone (other than law enforcement) holding a gun and walking down the street should be shot on sight, regardless of color, pronoun or affiliation
I blame the Five-Man Electrical Band ...
And the sign said, "Anybody caught trespassin'
Would be shot on sight"
So I jumped on the fence and I yelled at the house,
"Hey! What gives you the right
To put up a fence to keep me out... "
If people would just follow the fuckin' rules — ALL the rules, not just the ones THEY want to follow — easily 90% of life's problems would just vanish.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I saw plenty of hunting accidents in Maine and Montana that involved an incompetent hunter shooting another person - a few in circumstances that really made me wonder if they weren’t just wanting to get away with murder. They always did, anyway.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Gob wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:37 am
Scooter wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:45 am
How many armed black men were shot that night?
No Black man would have been openly carrying a gun in front of police because they know it would have gotten them killed.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:12 am

The kid's excuse that he carried the AR-15 to protect himself tells me that he intended to use it. He knew he was going to a riot. I may be wrong but I didn't see anything about any of the dead people being armed.
Are you fucking BLIND?!?!

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Sue U wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:02 am
Bicycle Bill wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:49 am
I was a police reporter for several years in deer-hunting NE Pennsylvania during very troubled economic times in the early 80s. Virtually all the "hunting accidents" were suicides, but they remained recorded as accidents to ensure that life insurance paid off for the family. I can not recall any instance during my time there where any hunter shot another person.
This. Livestock, yes. Buildings or vehicles, occasionally. (Know what is behind your target, people!) People, no.

Gob

Post by Gob »

The Rittenhouse monster created by media and political elites desperate for Bad White Men they might rage against has proven to be a myth.
The ‘white supremacist’ storyline was ridiculous from the very start, given the three men shot by Rittenhouse were all white. No evidence has emerged suggesting Rittenhouse harbours white-supremacist views. As to his being a ‘domestic terrorist’ – Ms Pressley might need to lawyer up as much as Mr Rittenhouse had to. And of course the depiction of the gatherings in Kenosha as mere assemblies designed to express sympathy and concern for ‘black lives’ is a grotesque fantasy. These were riotous, looting mobs, whose baseball bats, petrol cans and guns caused as much harm to black businesses and black lives as they did to other folk in Kenosha. The idea that white boy Rittenhouse violently invaded a modern version of the 1963 march for jobs and freedom was always a delusion of the most wretched kind.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/11/1 ... pmDz4jkOOc
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I was not familiar with Spiked (Gob's post) and there is a modicum of truth to what they say about Rittenhouse. In the same way that if I have a blowout while doing 120 mph on the interstate and I am badly injured, I might well be pissed at Goodyear and want to sue them. Wish me luck with that.

I took a look at some of their other offerings. Among them is this piece
Keep burning those fossil fuels
Mankind’s use of coal, oil and gas is a very wonderful thing.
So Spiked goes into my TFI box. (The T stands for Total; the I for Idiots. I forget what the F stands for.)

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Gob wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:52 am
The Rittenhouse monster created by media and political elites desperate for Bad White Men they might rage against has proven to be a myth.
The ‘white supremacist’ storyline was ridiculous from the very start, given the three men shot by Rittenhouse were all white. No evidence has emerged suggesting Rittenhouse harbours white-supremacist views. As to his being a ‘domestic terrorist’ – Ms Pressley might need to lawyer up as much as Mr Rittenhouse had to. And of course the depiction of the gatherings in Kenosha as mere assemblies designed to express sympathy and concern for ‘black lives’ is a grotesque fantasy. These were riotous, looting mobs, whose baseball bats, petrol cans and guns caused as much harm to black businesses and black lives as they did to other folk in Kenosha. The idea that white boy Rittenhouse violently invaded a modern version of the 1963 march for jobs and freedom was always a delusion of the most wretched kind.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/11/1 ... pmDz4jkOOc
It does not matter to many. They care nothing for facts...they simply want blood.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:57 pm
I was not familiar with Spiked (Gob's post) and there is a modicum of truth to what they say about Rittenhouse. In the same way that if I have a blowout while doing 120 mph on the interstate and I am badly injured, I might well be pissed at Goodyear and want to sue them. Wish me luck with that.

I took a look at some of their other offerings. Among them is this piece
Keep burning those fossil fuels
So Spiked goes into my TFI box. (The T stands for Total; the I for Idiots. I forget what the F stands for.)
Translation: "Being unable to refute the content, I will instead attack the source."

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

I think it's safe to say that there's been a *LOT* of refutation of the statement
By publishing this statement, Spiked clearly demonstrates that it is a "TF" unreliable source.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God