Transsexual Advantage Wins Again...

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Joe Guy

Transsexual Advantage Wins Again...

Post by Joe Guy »

She should be disqualified! She has the unfair advantage of having the brain of a man....

'Jeopardy' champ hits $1 million; talks fame, trans rights

“Jeopardy!” champion Amy Schneider is adding to her list of bragging rights and admirers.

Already the highest-earning female contestant in the quiz show's history and the woman with the longest winning streak, on Friday she became one of only four “Jeopardy!” players to reach seven figures in regular-season winnings.

She's collected $1.02 million in 28 victories, solidifying her 4th-place position on the list that includes Ken Jennings with $2.5 million; James Holzhauer, $2.46 million, and Matt Amodio, $1.52 million.

Schneider, who's also fourth in consecutive wins, will compete again Monday.

Poised and affable on TV and in an interview with The Associated Press, she doesn't seem the gloating type. But she is tickled by the fact that she's fulfilled a prediction made by her 8th-grade classmates in Dayton, Ohio: She was voted most likely to be a “Jeopardy!” contestant, based on her geography and spelling bee prowess.

More significantly, she's the first transgender person to qualify for the show's tournament of champions. In a series of tweets last November, Schneider said she's proud to be a trans woman and wants people to know that aspect of her, adding, “but I’m a lot of other things, too!”

Schneider's “Jeopardy!” achievements have made her both an inspiration and a target for transphobic insults online — which she batted away with the same aplomb she displays on TV. Her deftness earned attention last week from Harvey Fierstein.

“I couldn’t be prouder if she were my own daughter,” the writer and Broadway star tweeted.

Schneider, an engineering manager living in Oakland, California, recently talked with AP about her newfound fame, keeping her day job — but dreaming about an entertainment career — and being a voice for the trans community. Remarks have been edited for clarity and length.

(to read the included interview, the full article is here here.

Scooter

Re: Transsexual Advantage Wins Again...

Post by Scooter »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:46 pm
She has the unfair advantage of having the brain of a man....
That is, of course, the unwitting subtext of a lot of the objections of so-called "feminists" to having her called "the first woman to..." in the context of the show.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Ridiculous, the male brain has no biological advantage over the female brain - the differences in academic achievement that exist are all attributable to socially imposed constrictions on girls’ and women’s access to education. Intelligence tests actually favor women by a slight edge (2%) over men and in many countries, like the USA, women are now more than 50% of student populations in higher education. We need to make more progress on populating the STEM track, but that’s a social thing too, not a lack of intelligence.

Trans women competing against biological women in physical sport is unfair. Trans women competing against biological women in tests of intelligence is entirely fair.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

BSG, plain logic trumps factual information. Men are running things. therefore they must have better brains.

Or, as it was put in my grade school days, 'If you're so smart, why ain't you rich?'

Can anybody tell me the fine points of this about Jeopardy game? Can you buzz in with the answer before the clue is read in its entirety? What is the fastest way to hold the buzzer--is a forefinger faster than a thumb?

snailgate

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Can you buzz in with the answer before the clue is read in its entirety?
No. Could once do that, but they changed it many years ago. Apparently a light turns on to signal when it is ok to buzz. If you buzz too soon you are locked out for half a second.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Thank you, BSG, for elucidating us on that point.  Absolutely no one else would have been able to figure that out if you hadn't been here to once again benevolently share your vast wisdom among us lesser mortals.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:15 pm
Trans women competing against biological women in physical sport is unfair. Trans women competing against biological women in tests of intelligence is entirely fair.
I'll take Misunderstanding Sarcasm for $100.00!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:59 am
BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:15 pm
I'll take Misunderstanding Sarcasm for $100.00!
I was replying to Scooter’s post about the misguided objections of so-called feminists, dear.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:24 am
I was replying to Scooter’s post about the misguided objections of so-called feminists, dear.
Okay, I'll take Oh I Didn't Realize That for $200.00.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I don’t care a whit about what she is, or was, I find her charming and an excellent player. Go Amy!!
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké