WORDLE – The Internet's Newest Favorite Game

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Crackpot

Re: WORDLE – The Internet's Newest Favorite Game

Post by Crackpot »

Wordle 225 6/6

⬛⬛⬛🟨⬛
⬛⬛⬛🟨🟨
⬛🟨⬛🟨⬛
🟨🟩🟩⬛⬛
⬛🟩🟩🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

That was not easy
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Wordle 225 5/6

⬛⬛⬛🟨⬛
⬛🟨🟨⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛🟨🟨
⬛🟩🟩⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I like that you can only play one puzzle per day, but I wish it let me go back and play all the puzzles from before I started playing.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Wordle 225 4/6

⬜🟧⬜⬜🟦
⬜🟧⬜🟧⬜
⬜🟧🟧🟧⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

I think I must have switched my setting to 'color blind.'

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Wordle 225 5/6

⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩⬜
🟨🟩🟩🟩⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Wordle 225 5/6*

⬛⬛🟨🟨⬛
🟨🟩⬛⬛🟨
⬛🟩🟩🟩⬛
🟨🟩🟩🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Oh you do get yellows on the hard version. BB's the only other playa!

Phew indeed!

Wordle 226 6/6*

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
🟨🟨🟨⬛⬛
⬛🟩🟨⬛🟨
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Wordle 226 4/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
🟨🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Bet we had the same third word, Meade. I really thought it would be the winner.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Wordle 226 4/6

🟨⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛🟨⬛🟩
🟩🟩⬛⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Wordle 226 5/6*

⬛⬛🟨⬛🟩
⬛🟩⬛⬛🟩
⬛🟩⬛⬛🟩
🟩🟩⬛⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Wordle 226 3/6

⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

This one came pretty easy
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Wordle 226 4/6

🟦⬜⬜🟦⬜
⬜🟧🟧🟧🟧
⬜🟧🟧🟧🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

Wordle 226 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛⬛🟩
⬛🟩🟩⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Wordle 226 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟨⬜🟩
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

The New York Times Buys Wordle
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/31/busi ... ticleShare
The sudden hit Wordle, in which once a day players get six chances to guess a five-letter word, has been acquired by The New York Times Company.

The purchase, announced by The Times on Monday, reflects the growing importance of games, like crosswords and Spelling Bee, in the company’s quest to increase digital subscriptions to 10 million by 2025.

Wordle was acquired from its creator, Josh Wardle, a software engineer in Brooklyn, for a price “in the low seven figures,” The Times said. The company said the game would initially remain free to new and existing players.

Wordle — the name is a cheeky pun on its creator’s name — has had a striking rise. It first appeared on a no-frills, ad-free website in October, and had 90 users on Nov. 1. That number grew to 300,000 by the middle of this month, and now millions play the game daily, according to the Times announcement.

A feature enables users to share their performance, with rows of five bricks indicating how close they were to guessing the correct word. For the uninitiated: A green brick indicates that the letter is correct and in the exact location; a yellow brick indicates that the letter appears in the word but in a different place; and a gray or black brick indicates that the letter does not appear anywhere in the word. These analog brick layouts have been endlessly memed and have driven millions of tweets.

“The Times remains focused on becoming the essential subscription for every English-speaking person seeking to understand and engage with the world,” a company statement said. “New York Times Games are a key part of that strategy.”

Since The Times put up a paywall in 2011, its business strategy has revolved around persuading readers and users, the overwhelming majority of whom get Times content digitally, to buy subscriptions. The traditional newspaper business model is centered on advertising.

The Times sells subscriptions to its print newspaper and core digital news app. For lower prices, it also offers subscriptions to a games app (Games), a recipe app (Cooking) and, as of last year, Wirecutter, a product-recommendation site The Times bought in 2016. This month, The Times spent $550 million to buy the sports news website The Athletic, hailing the 1.2 million subscribers the site brings with it.

The business strategy has been vindicated to the tune of millions of new subscribers. In November, The Times said in an earnings report that it had nearly 8.4 million. (Its next earning report is scheduled to be released Wednesday.) In December, The Times reported that Games and Cooking each had more than one million subscribers.

The Times’s games — along with the crossword and Spelling Bee, they include Letter Boxed, Tiles and Vertex — were played more than 500 million times last year, the company said.

Mr. Wardle, told a Times reporter this month that he had started Wordle after he and his partner “got really into” The Times’s crosswords and Spelling Bee games during the pandemic.

“New York Times Games play a big part in its origins,” Mr. Wardle said in the company’s statement, “and so this step feels very natural to me.”
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Guinevere wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:27 pm
The New York Times Buys Wordle
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/31/busi ... ticleShare
The sudden hit Wordle, in which once a day players get six chances to guess a five-letter word, has been acquired by The New York Times Company.

The purchase, announced by The Times on Monday, reflects the growing importance of games, like crosswords and Spelling Bee, in the company’s quest to increase digital subscriptions to 10 million by 2025.

Wordle was acquired from its creator, Josh Wardle, a software engineer in Brooklyn, for a price “in the low seven figures,” The Times said. The company said the game would initially remain free to new and existing players.
(my response to the sentence accented in red:   yeah, right.)

Well, fuck.  This is why we can't have nice things...  someone with a shitload of money (like Jeff Bezos) comes along and ruins it for the rest of us.

Although I suppose I can't blame Josh Wardle (originator of the game).  After all, if I had come up with something like this and someone made ME an offer "in the low seven figures" for it, I'd be roughly six forms of a fool if I DIDN'T accept it.
-"BB"-

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

For those interested I acquired a similar game called WORDLETS downloaded at no cost at the App store.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

So many options. Just started Dordle, aka “double Wordle”

https://zaratustra.itch.io/dordle

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Wordle 227 2/6*

🟩🟨⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

It’s going to be a great day! :D
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Wordle 227 3/6

🟧⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟧🟦⬜🟦⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧