WORDLE – The Internet's Newest Favorite Game

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
BoSoxGal

Re: WORDLE – The Internet's Newest Favorite Game

Post by BoSoxGal »

Wordle 361 4/6*

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟨🟩⬛⬛
⬛⬛🟩🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Daily Dordle 0142 3&7/7
🟨🟨🟨⬜⬜ 🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨🟩 🟨⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ ⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ ⬜⬜🟨🟩🟩
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ ⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
zaratustra.itch.io/dordle

Daily Quordle 142
7️⃣6️⃣
4️⃣8️⃣
quordle.com
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜ ⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜ 🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜ 🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟨⬜ 🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛

⬜⬜🟩🟨⬜ ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨⬜🟩🟨⬜ ⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜ 🟩⬜⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ 🟩⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ 🟩⬜🟩⬜⬜
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ 🟩⬜🟩⬜🟨
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Daily Octordle #142
🕛8️⃣
🕐6️⃣
🔟🕚
9️⃣5️⃣
Score: 74
octordle.com
Last edited by BoSoxGal on Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:09 am
Wordle 361 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟧⬜🟦⬜
⬜🟧🟧🟧🟦
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

Is that an English word? Really? It's certainly borrowed from another European language (I'm trying to not give a hint here) and used commonly enough with a meaning similar to the original: but other NYT word puzzles would almost always disallow it.
When does a word become English? A great many in the language are borrowed from other languages; looking up the etymology of this one, it first appears in printed English language usage in the late 1700s. Over 200 years of usage should weigh strongly in its favor, no? Also a few of the meanings seem to have arisen exclusively from English language usage, for whatever that is worth.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

BSG--I couldn't find anything relating to early English sues, but my guess is that the earliest uses were directions for musical compositions, which were never in English but in the language this word comes from. I concede it is a slang expression but have no real idea how long it has been used, but it is not a word I often hear used. I guess a case can be made for calling it an English word, but it is not the sort of word that usually comes up in Wordle, which seems to look for words that are in broad general uses. In a similar manner, i wouldn't expect the word "haint" to be used as it is a regional dialect.

ETA: But you do raise a good point--when does the use of a word in a language other than English make it an English word. When I was a kid, I recall most people saying "Gesundheit" when someone sneezed (I also saw this in many movies). It was a German expression which I think means "good health". I never considered this anything other than a German word, but what would it have taken to make this Englsih (I'm not sure how many people really knew where it was from as I doubt they would have used a German word so soon after WW@ (we still called German Shepherds Police Dogs))). I'm sure there are other examples; many toasts (Prost, Skol, Salud, Slainte) are routinely used without any reference to what language they come from, but I doubt they are considered by many to be English. There must be something else needed to make that jump.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

There is a word in the English language which is made up of this word and another of Latin derivation (to which many English words trace back) that combine to a word relating to the inheritance of property within families. This word and the concept it embodies is so deeply embedded in English culture it has defined the order of ruling classes and working classes alike for centuries. This word is English, no?
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Maybe to the extent res ipsa loquitor (or other foreign derived legal terms) is/are, but I am not sure how well it would be recognized outside of the legal profession. The terms Alelullia (or Allelujia or Hallelujia) or "mea culp"a are used in many English religious rites, but I don't think people would call them English.

But I'll do you one better--there is a phrase used in New Orleans, "laissez les bons temps rouler", which is bascially a French literal translation of "Let the good times roll." A number of months back, there was a thread that discussed how it was not grammatically correct French, but it's not English either is it?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Well it’s in the Oxford dictionary of the English language. I think I’m going to have to defer to the linguists who believe it belongs there. Hallelujah and alleluia are also there.

Which words in English are actually English to your way of thinking? A huge percentage of the words in the English language derive from other languages. Are just the ~1700 words invented by the Bard actually English words then?😉
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Which words in English are actually English to your way of thinking?
That's the question, isn't it? You could find the term "adios" in the OED, but does that make it English? I'm not sure anymore than Quincenara (not in the OED) is.

It's fun to speculate, but I'm not certain there is an answer. Personally, I think the use of a dictionary is not to delineate (or for that matter limit) a language, but to define terms used by speakers so the listener/reader will understand what is being communicated. IMHO, words in the English language are much like the common law, there is not a group empowered to decree what is and what is not encompassed, but the language evolves by usage common usage and acceptance by academics. But then, nothing specifically dictates this, so it is fun to speculate.

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

My opinion, and that's all it is, is if a foreign word is used where no English equivalent exists then it becomes of the English language. Things like "Sushi" and "Kebab" can be described in English but don't have a single-word English-only synonym. Whereas "Adios" being used the same as "goodbye" means it's still a foreign word. "Rouge" is one I am on the fence with... it means "red" in French, but it's taken on a slightly different meaning other than just identifying a color in English. That being said, yesterday I used "Adieu" as my start word (and it was a bad choice, but I was trying to cover 4 vowels at once to see if it worked) and I don't consider that English at all. But all 4 puzzles accepted it.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Wordle 361 3/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I believe it's considered an English word because it has been commonly used for as long as I can remember. Probably longer than that. I can't remember.

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

Wordle 362 3/6*

🟩⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩⬛🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Daily Dordle 0143 6&5/7
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ ⬜🟩⬜🟨⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ 🟩🟩⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ 🟩🟩⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜⬜⬜ ⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛

Daily Quordle 143
5️⃣7️⃣
9️⃣4️⃣
quordle.com
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜ 🟩🟩⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨 ⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜ ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨⬜⬜🟨⬜ ⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ 🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜ 🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨 🟨⬜🟩🟨⬜
⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜ ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩⬜🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛

Daily Octordle #143
7️⃣5️⃣
3️⃣6️⃣
8️⃣🔟
9️⃣🕛
Score: 60
octordle.com
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Wordle 362 3/6*

🟩⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟨⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Daily Dordle 0143 6&4/7
⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜ ⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟨⬜🟨🟨⬜ ⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨 🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟨⬜🟩🟨 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛

Daily Quordle 143
5️⃣6️⃣
7️⃣3️⃣
quordle.com
⬜⬜⬜🟩⬜ 🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨⬜🟨⬜⬜ ⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟨⬜⬜🟨⬜ ⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨🟨 ⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

⬜⬜🟨🟩⬜ 🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜ 🟩⬜🟨⬜🟨
⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛

Daily Octordle #143
4️⃣🟥 Ach, too many wild guesses when missing one letter. Not enough effort to find missing letters
🟥🕚 by making new words.
7️⃣🕛
🔟🕐
octordle.com
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Wordle 362 4/6*

⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟨🟨⬛⬛
🟩⬛🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Daily Dordle 0143 2&4/7
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩 ⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ ⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Daily Quordle 143
7️⃣4️⃣
9️⃣6️⃣
quordle.com
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜ 🟨⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜ ⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜ 🟩🟨🟨🟨🟨
⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟨⬜⬜🟨⬜ ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟨⬜⬜🟨⬜ ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜ ⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜ ⬜🟨🟩⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ 🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ 🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜ 🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛

Daily Octordle #143
6️⃣9️⃣
🕛🕚
7️⃣🔟
4️⃣3️⃣
Score: 62
octordle.com
Last edited by BoSoxGal on Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Daily Octordle #143
8️⃣🕐
🕛5️⃣
9️⃣🔟
6️⃣🟥
Score: 77
octordle.com

Words 2 and 3 were a pain. Probably made worse since I didn’t use a common letter until the last guess which would have helped with the last word
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Word 3 pushes the boundary of “English”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Is this going to turn into a whine fest over every word contained in English language dictionaries that derived from another language? That’s going to get tiresome quickly. This word has been present in the English language for centuries, just like the last one. It derives from Latin then French.

I think you and Big RR are in need of a course in linguistics. Or, perhaps you should just refer to the approved Scrabble wordlist - both of these words are on it.

Or just keep complaining that’s also an option.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Here’s a short course: https://www.britannica.com/topic/English-language

Excerpt:
Openness of vocabulary implies both free admission of words from other languages and the ready creation of compounds and derivatives. English adopts (without change) or adapts (with slight change) any word really needed to name some new object or to denote some new process. Words from more than 350 languages have entered English in this way. Like French, Spanish, and Russian, English frequently forms scientific terms from Classical Greek word elements. Although a Germanic language in its sounds and grammar, the bulk of English vocabulary is in fact Romance or Classical in origin.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

You are going to complain about venting frustration?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Crackpot wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:29 pm
You are going to complain about venting frustration?
I’m judging your frustration as being entirely misplaced because you apparently don’t understand much about linguistics or your native language. Or maybe you just have a limited vocabulary? But go ahead and attack me it’s much more productive than addressing the substantive issue I’ve raised - and it bothers me not because I consider the source.

80% of English words are borrowed from other languages. Maybe we should start complaining about every wordle/dordle/quordle/octordle word that derives from another language? Gonna get old fast.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Too funny

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Funny - an American English word with roots in old English, German, Dutch. Marked safe to use in wordle/dordle/quordle/octordle

https://www.etymonline.com/word/funny
~ Carl Sagan