Who will last the week?

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
ex-khobar Andy

Who will last the week?

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Boris Johnson or Novak Djokovic?

Boris has finally apologized for holding a BYOB event at 10 Downing Street while the rest of the country was locked down. His 'apology' is so full of holes it's pretty much on a par with what we know of the guy: he's a lying piece of shit who will say anything which serves his interests.

Djokovic is of course in trouble with the Aussie immigration people. Although I don't like his persona and I usually root against him regardless of who he is playing (there are worse characters on the tour, so it's not always) I had some sympathy. He's a notorious anti-vaxxer but it appeared to me that he had played by the rules in this instance. (The rules could be clearer: no shot, no play - but they are what they are.)

It now appears that his immigration form (prepared by a minion, according to Djokovic although yesterday his team were claiming that Tennis Australia had completed the firm) had an error. He had in fact traveled in the 14 days prior to his entry to Australia despite his declaration that he had not.

But also according to Der Spiegel (English translation available here) his purported test on which his medical exemption rests is a bit iffy. The alleged date does not (or rather did not before it was mysteriously changed) match the QR code and the serial number of the test is several days out of sequence. It's difficult to think of an innocent explanation . . .

Long Run

Re: Who will last the week?

Post by Long Run »

That's a major problem for Djokovic.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Kick him the hell out of Oz. No shot, no entry.

ETA: I have no love for Djokovic, but I respect his tennis abilities. I have ZERO TOLERANCE for anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers, and anyone who insists in asserting their individual "rights" over the common good. Eff him.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

Agreed.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Australia’s pulled his VISA again and he is headed back to detainment. Lied about his travel and apparently either lied about being positive for covid19 or was actually positive and went around loads of people without a mask on while infectious.

Stolen from someone on Facebook: Novax Djerkovic
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

I think half the England test squad will be gone after this week.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Gob wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:07 am
It might help at that.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:41 am
Gob wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:07 am
It might help at that.
I doubt it.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Djokovic has been expelled, no 21 in Oz. I believe this comes with a three-year ban on entry.

Good for you Australia. Would all nations stick to the rules so (looking at you SCOTUS).
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Djokovic is just another jock who figured he could get away with it because he's gotten away with darned near everything he wanted since he became a top jock in his field. It probably started when he was a teenager in high school.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Djokovic hasn’t been top of the heap his entire career, and he was pretty much thought of as a “never gonna make a guy“ and a goofball for quite some time. He finally put the mental game together, and also went off on a vegan diet, lost weight, leaned up, and became #1. That Roger and Rafael are older than he is cannot have hurt either, but he is an amazing tennis player. I just don’t like the man very much.

Speaking of my Swiss boyfriend, I’m reliving his career reading his bio. What an amazing player.

Also note that RAFA, today, on the first day of the tournament, said something along the lines of the Australian open is bigger than any of the players in it. The open will continue even when all of us who play today are long gone. Proving the thesis that he is and will always be a true champion, as opposed to Djokovic who is just a very very good player.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Agreed. He is just very competent but not entertaining - not sure why not. I'd go out of my way to watch Roger Federer (so graceful - how did he do that with seemingly no effort?) or Rafa Nadal (determination) or Andy Murray (well we're both Scots) or - going to the past now - Justine Henin or David Ferrer, I would not make a special effort to see Djokovic if he was in town. I'd watch Agassi but not Sampras for the same reason.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Meanwhile the dimwit legion on social media is lionizing Djerkovic, decrying the communist state that Australia has become and blaming it all on the disarming of the Australian citizenry.

Yay Djerkovic! Way to rile the misinformed. Sadly the misinformed own most of the privately held firearms in the USA and the next few years could prove to be violent ones indeed.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Djokovich.jpg
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God