Bob Saget

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
BoSoxGal

Bob Saget

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’m terribly sorry for his loved ones and for all of us who loved his humor - both the PG family stuff and the grittier raunchy stuff. We will miss him very much.

But seriously, I cannot think of a better death than going out in your sleep at the top of your game, beloved by all who know you, happy in love happy in work happy with kids happy happy happy lights out no pain no suffering.

RIP
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Re: Bob Saget

Post by Long Run »

Now that is a positive take on a sad situation! I was never much of a fan, though he was the best host of AFV.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

This is so much fucking sadder than dying in his sleep of a massive heart attack.
Bob Saget’s Autopsy Report Describes Severe Skull Fractures
Such an extensive head injury would likely have left the actor confused, if not unconscious, experts said.

Experts said that Bob Saget’s head was so badly injured, it was unlikely that he would have intentionally ignored it.

Bob Saget, the comedian and actor, died after what appeared to be a significant blow to the head, one that fractured his skull in several places and caused bleeding across both sides of his brain, according to an autopsy report released on Friday.

The findings complicated the picture of Mr. Saget’s death that has emerged in recent days: Far from a head bump that might have been shrugged off, the autopsy described an unmistakably serious set of injuries that would at the very least have probably left someone confused, brain experts said.

The report, prepared by Dr. Joshua Stephany, the chief medical examiner of Orange and Osceola counties in Florida, ascribed Mr. Saget’s injuries to a fall.

“It is most probable that the decedent suffered an unwitnessed fall backwards and struck the posterior aspect of his head,” Dr. Stephany wrote, referring to the back of the skull.

Still, the autopsy left a number of unresolved questions about how exactly Mr. Saget, 65, was so badly hurt. He was found dead in a hotel room at the Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lake on Jan. 9 during a weekend of stand-up comedy acts. His family said this week that the authorities determined that he had hit his head, “thought nothing of it and went to sleep.”

If the actor struck his head hard enough, and in just the wrong place, it is possible that fractures would have extended to other parts of his skull, brain injury experts said. Situations where someone cannot break their fall are even more dangerous.

“It’s like an egg cracking,” said Dr. Jeffrey Bazarian, an emergency physician and concussion expert at the University of Rochester Medical Center. “You hit it in one spot, and it can crack from the back to the front.”

But experts said that with such an extensive injury, it was unlikely that Mr. Saget would have intentionally ignored it. The injury would likely have left him confused, if not unconscious.

“I doubt he was lucid,” Dr. Bazarian said, “and doubt he thought, ‘I’m just going to sleep this off.’”
Some neurosurgeons said that it would be unusual for a typical fall to cause Mr. Saget’s set of fractures — to the back, the right side and the front of his skull. Those doctors said that the injuries appeared more reminiscent of ones suffered by people who fall from a considerable height or get thrown from their seat in a car crash.

The autopsy, though, found no injuries to other parts of Mr. Saget’s body, as would be expected in a lengthier fall. The medical examiner ruled that the death was accidental. The local sheriff’s office had previously said there were no signs of foul play.

“This is significant trauma,” said Dr. Gavin Britz, the chair in neurosurgery at Houston Methodist. “This is something I find with someone with a baseball bat to the head, or who has fallen from 20 or 30 feet.”

Dr. Britz noted that the autopsy described fractures to particularly thick parts of the skull, as well as to bones in the roof of the eye socket. “If you fracture your orbit,” he said, referring to those eye bones, “you have significant pain.”

The knock ruptured veins in the space between the membrane covering the brain and the brain itself, causing blood to pool, the autopsy indicated. The brain, secured in a hard skull, has nowhere to move, doctors said, and the result is a compression of brain centers critical for breathing and other vital functions.

No alcohol or illegal drugs were detected in the actor’s system, according to the autopsy. But there were signs of Clonazepam, commonly known as Klonopin, a benzodiazepine that is used to prevent seizures and treat panic attacks. Tests also found Trazodone, an antidepressant, the report said.

There was no indication in the autopsy findings that either of those drugs might have contributed to Mr. Saget’s injuries. But doctors said that they could make people sleepy and contribute to a fall.

Benzodiazepines are widely prescribed for older people, despite warnings about the side effects. People who take them face increased risks of falls and fractures, of auto accidents and of reduced cognition.

Use of multiple drugs “is a very dangerous cause of falls in the elderly,” said Dr. Neha Dangayach, the director of neuro-emergencies management and transfers for the Mount Sinai Health System. She said that some combinations could cause drops in blood pressure or confusion.

The report noted that Mr. Saget had an enlarged heart, but did not suggest any link to his death. It also found signs of the coronavirus on a PCR test, but did not suggest that the virus contributed to Mr. Saget’s death. The actor said on a podcast in early January that he had contracted the virus, without specifying exactly when. PCR tests can show the presence of the virus days or even weeks after someone has recovered.

Mr. Saget, best known for his role on the sitcom ‘Full House’ and for hosting ‘America’s Funniest Home Videos,’ thanked the “appreciative audience” of his stand-up comedy set in a Tweet early in the morning on Jan. 9, the day of his death.

“I had no idea I did a 2 hr set tonight,” he said. “I’m happily addicted again to this.”
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

It's difficult to believe that his head got so smashed up from falling without any evidence of the fall somewhere in his room. If there was, I haven't read any reference to it.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I bet he fell and hit his head in the bathroom, and had just enough consciousness to stumble into his bed, where he died.

Really sad.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

The police immediately said 'no sign of foul play.' I am sure the hotel did a thorough cleaning of the room as soon as they could.

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

That’s my guess, too. He got back very late, texted or did social media at around 2am. I bet he took a hot shower and slipped during or on his way out. The hotel is recently renovated and has those walk-in showers that are all marble and tile - they’re beautiful, but hotels don’t put the rubber bath mats in because it doesn’t look nice - some don’t even provide them for the guest to put in themselves, I’ve stayed at really nice places like this on conferences and in Vegas and always felt a little nervous about slipping on the tile/marble shower floors.

Here’s the hotel, if you look at pictures there are glimpses of what the showers look like: https://www.ritzcarlton.com/

Joe the various reports I’ve read describe his room as orderly, no signs of any violence. That would include signs of injury to furniture etc., but it’s entirely possible to hit your head on the marble walls/tile floor of a luxury walk in shower without causing any injury to the materials. Same with slipping and hitting your head on a marble vanity - the skull will take all the damage while the marble remains unscathed. That would account for why he had such severe skull fractures, essentially his skull was cracked like an egg from hitting such an extremely hard surface and all the energy of the collision was absorbed across his skull in various directions.

If he had taken trazadone (often prescribed for sleep, shows in his tox screen) it could have made him a bit unsteady, same with benzodiazepines, which also appear in his tox screen and often prescribed for anxiety which many performers suffer with.

Sadly falling in the tub/shower is a fairly common cause of injury and/or death in the 65+ age group. Around Saget’s age many people have begun to experience diminished proprioception and are losing core strength and balance, unless they make concerted efforts to counter these normal effects of aging by some kind of targeted fitness regime. Add that to drugs commonly prescribed in this age range (as the article discusses), and you have the basis for something like 250,000 ER visits yearly for falls in the bathroom, often the shower/tub.

I’m still going to tell myself it is lovely that he died so incredibly happy in his life. But it is nonetheless heartbreaking that his death was likely preventable, had he received medical attention immediately.

He was such a wonderful person from all accounts - life is so fucking cruel sometimes.
Last edited by BoSoxGal on Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I'm imagining someone walking into his room and hitting him over the head with a baseball bat while he was in bed.

I guess I'm a Bob Saget murder conspiracy theorist. It's only a matter of time - if not already - that people will be saying they "know" he was killed and it's being covered up.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:roll:
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Conspiracy theorists who blamed Bob Saget's death on COVID vaccines now insist he was murdered

Conspiracy theorists who claimed without evidence last month that comedian Bob Saget died from taking a booster vaccine changed their tune this week after the celebrity’s cause of death was officially revealed.

On Wednesday, TMZ reported that a medical examiner in Florida determined that blunt force trauma to the head had been responsible for Saget’s death.

Saget is believed to have hit accidentally hit the back of head and underestimated the severity of the injury, causing him to have a brain bleed that ultimately took his life once he fell asleep. A toxicology report also showed no narcotics or alcohol in Saget’s system.

Authorities originally speculated that Saget may have died from a heart attack or stroke, which led conspiracy theorists to blame the vaccine for his death, just like they have with countless other high-profile figures.

Conspiracy theorists attempted to point to footage from July in which Saget jokingly claimed to be receiving “five to six” vaccines per day as evidence that the shot was to blame. [that could explain his dizziness] Video of Saget in which he discusses receiving the booster shot in December was also cited as proof.

Yet when the actual cause of death was announced this week, conspiracy theorists began suggesting that Saget had actually been murdered instead. On Twitter, many suggested that foul play must have been involved.

“Hitting his head…? Or, Hit on the head???” @Mursphs51 asked. “The new question…”

Over on Telegram, popular QAnon promoter StormyPatriotJoe likewise suggested to his more than 100,000 followers that Saget’s death was undoubtedly suspicious.

Users on the app responded to the news by suggesting that Saget had actually been assassinated at Guantanamo Bay by the U.S. military for being a pedophile. QAnon adherents regularly accuse celebrities of being pedophiles and also believe that former President Donald Trump is secretly having all of their perceived enemies put to death.

“Bullet to the head by the military!!” one user gleefully wrote.

Some even compared Saget to deceased sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, who likewise found himself tied up in conspiracy theories following his suicide in a New York Jail.

“Yeah sure, and #JeffreyEpstein killed himself too huh?” @Tylerban wrote.

Although many conspiracy theorists latched onto allegations of murder, others weren’t quite ready to stop falsely blaming the vaccine for Saget’s death.

Numerous users across social media attempted to link Saget’s brain bleed to the booster shot.

“Yeah what did he hit his head on the fuckin vaccine,” @nycguideovoice said.

Saget is just the latest celebrity to be targeted by conspiracy theorists following their death. Hollywood icon Betty White’s death last month was also blamed on the vaccine as well.
source

Okay... I'll stop now. Now that I'm an older guy, those eye-rolling emojis make me dizzy.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:57 am

If he had taken trazadone (often prescribed for sleep, shows in his tox screen) it could have made him a bit unsteady, same with benzodiazepines, which also appear in his tox screen and often prescribed for anxiety which many performers suffer with.
Klonopin is also routinely used as a sleep aid. Most likely scenario is he mis-timed taking his medications and was too sleepy while he showered and finished up for the night before getting to bed. Very sad.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Now there is a report that he basically would have had to fall several stories or take a baseball bat to his head to have sustained the type of injury his head had. WTF?

I still have, somewhere, a written response I received when I wrote, many years ago, to tell the AFV producers how much I disliked Saget and how singularly unfunny I found him. I do not understand the outpouring of love for the man but I have to wonder if he was murdered.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:04 am
I do not understand the outpouring of love for the man but I have to wonder if he was murdered.
I believe he was killed but I have no evidence. My opinion is based on the fact that the explanations I've read and heard for his death make no sense.

P.S. I believe that Saget wasn't funny either. So, in summary, I didn't think he was funny but the explanations for his death are laughable.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

You did it! didn’t you?! You’re re still upset that your staged video of you getting hit in the balls didn’t make the cut for AFHV aren’t you!
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Crackpot wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:56 am
You did it! didn’t you?! You’re re still upset that your staged video of you getting hit in the balls didn’t make the cut for AFHV aren’t you!
Damn! I was hoping that nobody here saw that episode....

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Joe Guy wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:04 am
Crackpot wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:56 am
Damn! I was hoping that nobody here saw that episode....
You should still be proud, though, Joe ... that was what inspired Johnny Knoxville to create "Jackass".
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’ve seen cases where physicians and medical examiners varied dramatically in their analysis of evidence, so I’m not putting much stock in the Wecht analysis or any other expert who didn’t actually put eyes on the fractured skull of Bob Saget. Further, there was very recently a video going around of a female comic who passed out on stage, fractured her skull and ended up with the black eyes that often accompany such an injury because force travels to the eye orbits and causes damage there - yet some so-called experts are saying this doesn’t happen. BS. Saget went down hard on the tile/marble shower or bathroom floor and his head hit that concrete like surface with sufficient force to eggshell fracture to multiple bones in the skull. It does happen, I’ve seen it in one punch cases I’ve prosecuted and researched in case prep.

There are countless innocent people in prison today thanks to medical experts - yet here is a case where the experts who saw the corpse and did the autopsy are being criticized for not seeing a crime. Gee wonder why they saw crimes where they didn’t exist in so-called shaken baby cases and many others where accident was made to sound like murder. That poor woman who was attacked by an owl outside her home in NC and subsequently fell on her stairs, so the state went after her husband for years trying to make him out to be a cold blooded murderer. And on and on . . .
Bob Saget’s Autopsy Report Reveals Multiple Skull Fractures Typically Seen in “High-Force Injuries”

Doctors say his injuries were consistent with being hit in the head with a baseball bat or falling down stairs, but authorities insist there were no signs of foul play

BY BONNIE STIERNBERG / FEBRUARY 14, 2022 3:49 PM
A little over a month after Bob Saget tragically passed away at the age of 65 in a Florida hotel room, we finally have a clearer picture as to how exactly he died — and the answer is a harrowing reminder of just how serious head injuries can be.

Saget’s death was ruled an accident resulting from blunt force head trauma. Investigators believe he likely experienced an “unwitnessed fall backwards” in his hotel room and then, perhaps confused due to the blow to the head or simply unaware of how severely he had injured himself, he went to bed and died in his sleep.

However, the autopsy findings reveal that this was no ordinary bump on the head. The comedian suffered multiple skull fractures and brain bleeds. As People reports, Saget’s injuries included “posterior scalp abrasions, subgaleal hemorrhage (blood that forms between the skull and scalp), discoloration in the upper and lower eyelids due to skull fracture, subdural hematoma (buildup of blood on the surface of the brain), and subarachnoid hemorrhage (bleeding in the space surrounding the brain).” Damage to his skull included fractures above his eye sockets.

The severity of those injuries has led many to wonder whether it’s really possible to suffer that much damage by simply, say, slipping in the bathroom and hitting your head on the floor. Many doctors — none of whom, it must be stressed, actually examined Saget themselves — expressed surprise, likening his wounds to those one might sustain in a car crash or by being hit in the head with a baseball bat.

“That takes a lot of force to do that,” CNN’s chief medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta said on the air on Friday. “When I first saw this, if I knew nothing else about what had happened, you would think this was maybe someone who had fallen down the stairs and had several impacts to the head or been unrestrained in a car accident.”

“This is significant trauma,” Dr. Gavin Britz, the chair in neurosurgery at Houston Methodist Hospital, told the New York Times. “This is something I find with someone with a baseball bat to the head, or who has fallen from 20 or 30 feet.”

Dr. Joshua Marcus, a neurosurgeon at Nuvance Health, told People that it’s the fractures around Saget’s eye sockets that raise the most questions for him, given that they’re not something you’d necessarily see in someone who fell and hit the back of their head.

“There are people who fall from standing and have things that look just like traumatic injury,” he said. “The thing that’s tougher to track here are the fractures. To have a fracture, you have to have enough blunt force on a bone — directly on a bone — in order to fracture it. It’s very hard to fracture your orbit [bones in the eye socket area] without traumatizing your orbit.”

Naturally, all of this speculation has raised questions over whether investigators failed to pick up on some sign of foul play. The chatter got so bad that over the weekend that the Orange County Sheriff’s Department took to social media to reiterate that they don’t believe Saget was murdered. Sheriff John Mina said that there were no signs of a struggle and noted that the comedian’s injuries were most likely sustained when he fell and hit the back of his head on a hard surface — most likely the bathroom floor or tub. “We do not believe he was struck by anything,” he said.

It’s easy to latch onto conspiracy theories, but the sad reality is that accidents like Saget’s are far too common, and it’s important to remember that head trauma is no joke. If you fall and/or hit your head, it’s crucial that you use an abundance of caution and seek medical treatment if necessary. It’s always a good idea to get checked out after a head injury, but doctors recommend going to the ER immediately if you experience blurred vision, a severe headache, nausea or vomiting, or stroke-like symptoms following a blow to the head.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

He was also at the Ritz Carlton which no doubt has electronic key entry and record of entries. Also likely hall cameras. Presumably the police reviewed all access possibilities as part of their investigation. Add that to the treating expert medical analysis regarding the fall, the sleep-inducing medications, and no other physical evidence. You have that on one side. On the other, you have some talking heads looking to drive ratings. Not a tough call on who to believe.