New Orleans Threw a Birthday Parade for the Late Betty White

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

New Orleans Threw a Birthday Parade for the Late Betty White

Post by Bicycle Bill »

There were brass bands, colorful costumes, and plenty of dogs to celebrate the legacy of this iconic Golden Girl.

Betty White died on New Year’s Eve of 2021, just weeks shy of what would have been her 100th birthday on January 17, 2022.  As America mourned the loss of their favorite 'Golden Girl and' a comedic legend who starred in dozens of memorable roles, the city of New Orleans began planning.

Santa T. Claus (in the red outfit ... and yes, that’s his actual, legal name) and Carl Mack of Carl Mack Presents (the person holding the sign) had the idea to host a celebration of her life — in the true New Orleans style.

You can’t call it a New Orleans send-off without the proper soundtrack.
The Bourbon Street Brass Band led the march.

Paying tribute to Betty White, many tourists stopped by costume shops and got in on the action, too.

The parade culminated in Jackson Square with a tearful I’ll Fly Away, sung up to the skies.

A Go Fund Me was set up to offset the costs (approx $2500) of hosting a parade on Bourbon Street.  It has met its goals, and Mr. Claus has stated on the Go Fund Me site that any amount above the actual costs will be donated to the Villalobos Rescue Center in New Orleans, so if you’d like to support animals in honor of Betty White’s 100th birthday, you can donate at this link, which will remain live for a few more days.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

eddieq

Re: New Orleans Threw a Birthday Parade for the Late Betty White

Post by eddieq »

Love it that New Orleans did what they do and honored her.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

As if they need an excuse for a parade, but yes, a very cool thing to do.

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Long Run wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:47 pm
True. Anyone who's spent more than 5 minutes there knows there is always a parade going on somewhere.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

eddieq wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:20 pm
Long Run wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:47 pm
True. Anyone who's spent more than 5 minutes there knows there is always a parade going on somewhere.
One of the quirky charms of a proudly eccentric city. In New Orleans, you can't get a bad meal and every bar has a live band; that is the mark of a city that has its priorities in order.
GAH!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

On another lovely note, animal shelters and aid organizations all over the country received an outpouring of donations in honor of Betty on her birthday - such a truly beautiful gesture that I’m sure she was delighted to see, if such a thing is possible.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/betty-whit ... donations/
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I'm with Sue, New Orleans is one of the world's greatest cities; so good I can even put up with the heat in the summer.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Me three. That’s where my sorority sisters and I went to celebrate our 50th. We had a fabulous time :mrgreen:
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

My company puts on an annual conference for our users and I'm on the tech team so I always end up spending 2 weeks on site (setup, show, breakdown). We've done the conference 3 or 4 times in NOLA. Like you guys said, easy to find great food and great music. The people are overall really great, too.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

A company I do a lot of work for has been looking to move its annual meetings out of Florida and I have been lobbying hard for New Orleans. I had been considering retirement in New Orleans, but climate change is making that less and less a viable choice.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I had been considering retirement in New Orleans, but climate change is making that less and less a viable choice.
I've thought of that as well, but I fear for my liver.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Big RR wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:59 pm
I had been considering retirement in New Orleans, but climate change is making that less and less a viable choice.
I've thought of that as well, but I fear for my liver.
On my list as well, same worry, also my waistline. Plus Santa Fe (but lack of water an issue), Provence (if we can ever travel freely again), and Vermont. Maybe Puerto Rico or St. John, but I have to consider the weather and climate change issues there too.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Santa Fe and Vermont have been on my list as well, also Lake Placid. I could never live on an island (I'd feel pretty trapped) so PR and St John are out (and I would caution against PR, our infrastructure is pretty tenuous, but theirs is pretty much within a hair's breadth of collapsing--things we take for granted like passable roads/highways, electricity, and water are pretty problematic down there (maybe not in San Juan, but then I imagine you don't go down to Puerto Rico to live in a city).

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Actually, in retirement I would like to live in a small, walkable city with access to music, museums, markets, restaurants. And easy access to a decent airport.

Yes its the infrastructure which has me concerned about Puerto Rico, and I was thinking San Juan, but still, water and electricity are necessities.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

If you are looking for a city in PR, I would suggest Ponce over San Juan, smaller (and with less crime), still walkable, and with some cultural advantages beaches (although admittedly not as much as San Juan) and Caribbean, as opposed to Atlantic, beaches; the residential districts of San Juan are fairly spread out and downtown parking in a hassle. Crime is also pretty common in a city of unbelievable "haves" and destitute "have nots". my wife had cousins who lived in a gated community in San Juan and twice were subjected to armed home invasion robberies (the eventually moved to the Las Vegas area).

The one other area I am looking at is central/southern Virginia (either Williamsburg, Fredericksburg, or Newport News); fairly cosmopolitan, close to a big airport (OK, a couple of hours), and attractive property taxes. But it's a big move.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

As a Maryland girl, I could never live in Virginia 😂. DC and Baltimore are also on my list again. More DC, but there is always that thing about coming home.

Thanks for the info. I’m a ways out, but always good to think about it!!