What Kind of Fuel Am I?

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: What Kind of Fuel Am I?

Post by Bicycle Bill »

With the additional benefit of reducing greenhouse gas emissions
from vehicles, as well as alleviating the obesity crisis.

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

274820891_5327919743907264_5318520915968003999_n.jpg
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

In the south coast part of the Western Cape . . . equivalent of $4.95 per US gallon

Since all the petrol stations in a region sell at the same government-set price, it ain't cheaper down the road (unless maybe you drive a hundred miles or more to another price region)

Which is counter-productive :D
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

Oh those are prices per litre in my photo, not gallon.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Gob wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:57 pm
Oh those are prices per litre in my photo, not gallon.
In what currency?  If that's in Euros () or pounds sterling (), that's outrageously expensive.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

At £1.00 = $1.31 (today's rate), £1.639 per litre = $2.147 per liter = $8.13 per US gallon.

I think from a prior thread on this topic, Norway has the most expensive gas/petrol in Europe.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The place I filled up with regular at $3.59/gal a week ago today now is selling at $4.19/gal - but I passed a few other stations that were selling regular at $4.29 and even $4.39, just a week after seeing them all at $3.59/$3.69.

Interesting how the prices jump on gas that’s already in the underground tanks. 🙄

It’s going to mean an extra $10/fillup for me. I don’t drive much anyway, just my four shifts weekly round trip to clients’ houses each about 12 miles from me. Beyond that just short trips to the nature preserve for walking and to the library to drop off/pick up books. I’m close enough to the grocery store to walk and will start doing that and making more frequent trips for fewer things.

I started scoping out the hybrid Toyota options for my next vehicle. The Corolla hybrid is only $23k brand new!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

$22,000 worth of fuel for my employer last week. 🤬
Last edited by Jarlaxle on Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Here in California we have a 51 cents per gallon State gasoline tax. That's why the potholes in our highways are maintained so well. I'd bet they're the finest looking potholes in the U.S.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

True, but then you don't have many (any?)toll roads; here in NJ, we pay tons of tolls on our major roads.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Big RR wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:49 am
True, but then you don't have many (any?)toll roads; here in NJ, we pay tons of tolls on our major roads.
I recently read an article that said toll roads have been added in some areas of the SF Bay Area. I don't know the details yet or how many are in the entire state but we now have them.

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:31 pm
At £1.00 = $1.31 (today's rate), £1.639 per litre = $2.147 per liter = $8.13 per US gallon.

I think from a prior thread on this topic, Norway has the most expensive gas/petrol in Europe.
Thanks — it makes sense now.  I didn't see any decimal point between the first two digits, and not knowing the territory didn't realize it was implied.
-"BB"-

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:33 pm
The place I filled up with regular at $3.59/gal a week ago today now is selling at $4.19/gal - but I passed a few other stations that were selling regular at $4.29 and even $4.39, just a week after seeing them all at $3.59/$3.69.

Interesting how the prices jump on gas that’s already in the underground tanks. 🙄
It would appear that they are basing the pump price on what they will have to pay to refill those underground tanks in the next go-around.  In accounting class, I think it was called the LIFO (last in, first out) concept of inventory valuation.   Using LIFO typically lowers net income but is tax advantageous when prices are rising.

And boy–oh–boy, are they rising!
-"BB"-

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:58 am
I didn't see any decimal point between the first two digits, and not knowing the territory didn't realize it was implied.
Not quite implied; actual. 163.9 pence is 1.639 pounds. Do they still call 'em "new pence" Gob? Pennies? Pence? Pirates of Pencezance?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

Pence mate.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Joe Guy wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:56 am
Here in California we have a 51 cents per gallon State gasoline tax.
That's by no means the whole story. Oregon, for example, has gas tax of $0.36 a gallon so - I'm assuming that transportation costs to Oregon are similar to those for California - CA gas should be around $0.15 more. According to Gas Buddy the cheapest gas in OR is $4.09 at a Pilot in Ontario (W Oregon near the ID border) and the cheapest in CA is $4.65 in Antelope (near Sacramento). I am restricting my search to price reports in the last 3 hours - it's currently 6:43 AM in the west coast) so state taxes are not the bulk of the reason for high CA prices. Could it be - gasp!!!!! - profiteering by the energy companies? I don't believe it. They wouldn't do that.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

California also requires unique fuel blends in many places.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

IIRC, the entire state of California has its own unique, "better for the environment" blend of gasoline for automobiles. Along with its own high tax, I believe that's another one of the reasons why it's always more expensive than other states.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Update: $6.05/gallon for regular at the local Chevron Station but that's down from $6.59 one a week ago. Chevron consistently has the highest prices I've seen. The local Shell station is charging $5.99/gallon.

When I Google, "cheapest gas prices near me", the lowest is $5.39/gallon but that's at Costco. The rest of the stations are charging $5.59 or somewhere near that price.

Any predictions on how high it will go?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

It's probably on it's way down - somewhat.

That's the game that the oil industry plays; they latch onto whatever handy excuse to spike prices, suck up as much as they can in windfall profits, then ratchet prices back down before most people seriously contemplate changes that would permanently decrease their consumption.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown