What Kind of Fuel Am I?

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Joe Guy

What Kind of Fuel Am I?

Post by Joe Guy »

Regular gasoline is $5.05 per gallon at one local gas station but it's only $499.99 at another one.

I wonder how high it's gonna go?

BoSoxGal

Re: What Kind of Fuel Am I?

Post by BoSoxGal »

Is that $5.0599 v $4.9999?

I think in California it could go up to $7.9999 if this Russian insanity persists.

Ours is still $3.5399 and I feel like I should buy several gas cans and fill them up this week, put them out in the back shed.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:05 am
Is that $5.0599 v $4.9999?
It was listed at $5.05. The first time I've ever seen it listed without a .99. It may have actually been $5.05.99 though. I didn't get a receipt or try to figure it out. I drove by another nearby station where it's $4.85.99. What a deal!

dales

Post by dales »

Like Joe Guy, I live in the SF Bay Area (long noted for the highest gas prices in the US) and since I drive very little and in a very economical Honda Civic I'm not overly concerned.

Let it go to $10 a gallon.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I paid $3.49 less $0.03 (loyalty card) yesterday. I assume that was plus $0.0099 but don't recall. Around here it can vary by $0.10 or more in a few miles. I don't disagree with Dales - $10.00 a gallon is more like the real cost of gas/petrol and the sooner we are paying that the sooner we can get to a more sustainable world.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

A sustainable world? That’s wishful thinking at this point.
Climate Change Is Harming the Planet Faster Than We Can Adapt, U.N. Warns
Countries aren’t doing nearly enough to protect against the disasters to come as the planet keeps heating up, a major new scientific report concludes.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/28/clim ... eport.html

Yeah yeah I know - I’m all doom and gloom. But I’m just a mirror.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

dales wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:36 am
Like Joe Guy, I live in the SF Bay Area (long noted for the highest gas prices in the US) and since I drive very little and in a very economical Honda Civic I'm not overly concerned.

Let it go to $10 a gallon.
Sure...if you want the economy to crater and Weimar-level inflation.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Just for the record, today I passed a gas station where regular is now selling for $5.50 & 9/10 per gallon. I just realized that most gas stations are putting 9/10 at the end of their advertised price. I wonder if that is accurate since it has always been 99/100 until recently (or since I've actually realized it).

And I think I may have brought this up before but why have gas stations always used fractions in their price? Is it because $4.99.99 per gallon looks cheaper than $5.00?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Joe Guy wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:47 am
Just for the record, today I passed a gas station
:o :shock: Hope you're OK?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:31 am
:o :shock: Hope you're OK?
I'm okay. I probably should change my diet.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Too gassy?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

My doctor told me I need to go on a low octane diet and to quit using 30W oil on my salads.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

The weather is warming up; the bikes are ready....

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

I paid $3.249 on the way home last night. It involves a loyalty app on my phone that grabs the $$ right out of my checking account for a $0.25 discount. Some local stations were at $3.799 for regular 10% with ethanol. That is the local "regular" gas. 85% ethanol was $2.899 at one station. Gas with no ethanol is available at a few stations for over $4.50.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Gob

Post by Gob »

£1.52p a litre for diesel here yesterday.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

Starting to cross the $5.00 level around here. So far it's just been premium/credit price at a few Chevron stations, but it won't be long. Paid $4.599/gal for diesel for the tow truck, and $4.269/gal to fill up my Pathfinder. Maybe this will persuade me to fix the Altima, it got a lot better mileage than the Pathfinder.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

$3.999 here yesterday - up about 60 cents in maybe three or four days.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

E85 is interesting. A few stations here in Northern Delaware sell it for a price above premium (the stuff for your Porsche) as racing fuel.
My four-year old Toyota has a sticker that says E15 or less. Regular (89 octane E10) is going for anywhere from $3.999 at the local convenience store to $3.529 at Costco.

I burned the valves in my '66 ford V8 by using no lead 93 octane sold at price less than 'Regular' 94 octane with lead from Gulf. This was back in 1966-8 It took about 60 thousand miles before I needed the valve job. I did not use unleaded exclusively. The owners manual said 93 octane or better was required but did not say anything about lead. In reality, getting the lead out and designing the engines for unleaded has made cleaning spark plugs a thing of the past.

snailgate

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

I drove to Houston last summer. I was driving a 4-cylinder Chevy Malibu. The car got 22.4 MPG on E-85 and 29.9 on E-10. The 8-85 was cheaper, but the cost per mile was just a tad more. Of course there is a large federal subsidy for making E-85. The cost of corn as a feed grain has also risen, making all kinds of meat more expensive. My brother in law used to market 4500 hogs a year. He gave it up a few years ago when it became more profitable to sell his feed corn to others.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Today I drove by a place where for years the gas has always been up to 50 cents per gallon less than other stations around, so of course it's always busy. Today, regular fuel (87 octane) is $5.79 per gallon and it was still busy. "Premium" (91 octane) is $6.01. I don't know what's up with that. There are still a few stations closer to me where regular gas is barely under $5.00/gallon. I suspect they will all rise past $5.00/gallon this week.

Fortunately, like Dale, I don't do a lot of driving nowadays, although I enjoy driving and sometimes take a drive just for the heck of it.