Robots IRL

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
ex-khobar Andy

Robots IRL

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I was at University of Kentucky (Lexington; 70 miles or so east of us here) for reasons I won't bore you with. Driving around campus trying to find our destination, I saw a couple of wheeled devices, about the size of a picnic cooler, which were obviously finding their own way around. They were crossing the street, zipping along the sidewalk, presumably making their own decisions about when it was safe to cross. While I was parking the car I watched one make a delivery, and a student standing outside his dorm opened it and took out a couple of hot Starbucks drinks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WcP-aoJfVE

or if you prefer

Apparently about 7 campus eateries use these things to deliver food to students - Starbucks, Subway, Panda Express etc. My two thoughts in quick succession were 'How cool is that!' and 'How scary is that!'

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: Robots IRL

Post by Bicycle Bill »

That being said, there have been some setbacks.... (click the picture, and when you get to the video make sure the sound is turned on)

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:33 pm
My two thoughts in quick succession were 'How cool is that!' and 'How scary is that!'
Why scary?

I mean, apart from BB's video.
GAH!

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Scary in the sense that are college students now too lazy to walk to the coffee shop?

Yes yes they might be studying or something. But I suppose I have the same fear that I have for my daughter. She now works almost exclusively from home and of course her company saves on all sorts of employee costs such as desk space, lights and heating etc etc. After pretty much fifty years of going to the office or the lab or the university department every day, I miss the social interactions and just the fun of working with people to a common goal and I am saddened that my daughter does not have that; and by having your coffee delivered by a robot instead of going to the kitchen and making it yourself or walking five minutes to the local Starbucks you miss out on all the people you might bump into.

So yes, a little scary.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:34 pm
(click the picture, and when you get to the video make sure the sound is turned on)[/i]

When Harry met Sally?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

At least Robbie went out in a blaze of glory.

snailgate

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Gob wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:46 am
When Harry met Sally?
I don't think I want what she's having.