Anyone Following the Johnny Depp Defamation Trial?

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Joe Guy

Anyone Following the Johnny Depp Defamation Trial?

Post by Joe Guy »

I've watched some of the trial on YouTube. The defense is now questioning Depp and showing videos, playing audio recordings and reading some of Depp's texts to the jury. From what I've seen - and I haven't seen everything - it looks to me like this trial being broadcast could end up defaming him more than anything Amber Heard has said about him. Even if Heard is a complete bitch/witch, it doesn't seem like the trial was a good idea for someone who is attempting to show he was defamed and damaged by things she wrote and/or said about him.

It's early in the process though. My mind could change.

BoSoxGal

Re: Anyone Following the Johnny Depp Defamation Trial?

Post by BoSoxGal »

I think Amber Heard was jumping on the #metoo wagon with her op Ed claiming she was a victim of domestic violence. From all I’ve seen and read about their relationship thus far I’m as convinced as I could be that she was the primary aggressor and Depp was the primary victim of physical abuse which Heard is on tape admitting, but despite all her recording of him where is his confession? There isn’t one. You know only flies on the wall really know the whole truth, but as someone extensively experience in domestic violence cases I have a pretty good gut for credibility and I find Depp very credible - painfully so because he’s subjected himself to having all his ugliest shit on display.

On the question of whether this case is winnable for him? I honestly don’t know a lot about defamation law so I can’t make a prediction on that. I assume Depp paid for and got responsible legal advice on that matter. I imagine he cares a lot about getting a verdict in his favor, but I suspect he’s also motivated by just wanting to get the story out there and let people see the body of evidence and determine for themselves whether he or Heard is more credible.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Does "domestic violence" require physical abuse? It appears that Depp is trying to convince the jury that he never physically assaulted Amber but the evidence I saw and heard clearly showed what could be defined as emotional and verbal abuse. So, even though - for now - I believe he wasn't physically assaulting her, he was certainly acting unstable around her. Although Amber was almost certainly just as bad as him sometimes. It became obvious when she argued with him in one audio recording that she hit Depp but she didn't punch him.

So, again, it seems right now like Depp can't really "win" other than somehow proving he never hit Amber, which doesn't mean that his behavior wasn't abusive.

I don't know. I don't think this public trial is going to help Depp much. It's just going to give people on social media something else to disagree about.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Yes verbal/emotional abuse is under the umbrella of domestic violence, but in our legal system it isn’t generally a basis for criminal prosecution absent physical violence of some kind. The basis for it may exist in the laws of some jurisdictions, but I’d bet you don’t see any prosecution of cases that are based solely on verbally abusive language. If we pursued all the cases where spouses abuse one another verbally we'd need separate courts dedicated to an endless docket of domestic violence prosecution.

I would also add that while I think most courts/juries/cops still struggle with this, there is training about primary aggressors in domestic violence which helps law enforcement determine which person was responsible for the primary abuse and which is just acting out in response to abuse. And yes sometimes relationships are mutually combative. In this case we have yet to hear Heard’s version but from what I’ve read of the UK case evidence there is nothing to independently corroborated her claims of physical abuse to her, except photos of what could have been makeup created bruises since nobody who actually saw her in person on the dates she claims to have been bruised and battered saw any evidence of the sort on her person.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

It appears that over 2 million 'people' have signed an on-line petition to have Amber Heard removed from the Aquaman 2, upcoming. Female domestic abusers exist and the argument is that, just like men, they should suffer the consequences.

Having seen the first Aquaman, I am reasonably certain Amber Heard signed that petition, reasoning that to be omitted is the lesser punishment.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Just want to lodge my prediction, which is that either the jury hangs or they rule for Heard on Depp’s claim and for her on her own claim as well.

She might well be half nuts and clearly the whole relationship was toxic, but her testimony about Depp’s admitted addiction behavior is very compelling. It sounds like Depp was a blackout drunk who became very abusive in that condition, and quite possibly has no memory of some of the extreme acts she’s testifying to. But she is definitely persuading at least one juror to her side, and quite likely more.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

In spite of having started this thread, I haven't been following closely enough to understand what's really going on with this trial. I knew Amber Heard filed a $100 million countersuit against Johnny Depp's $50 million defamation lawsuit but had no clue how that works. Logically, it seemed to me that Depp's lawsuit would be one trial and then Heard's suit against Depp would be separate, but I've not read any explanation of what's actually going on until today. The problem is that each article makes a separate claim.

According to this article there will be a separate trial for Heard vs Depp later this year but according to this article the current jury will be simultaneously considering Heard's defamation claim in this trial.

Either way, as I wrote in the OP, I don't see how broadcasting this trial is going to benefit Depp. And now I don't see how either of them will benefit. I guess Amber could get more money than Depp but from what I've seen so far they both seem to be abusers in their relationship with each other. It seems to me that the trial being broadcast is helping to defame both of them. It's crazy. What's the point?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Joe Guy wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 1:09 am
It seems to me that the trial being broadcast is helping to defame both of them. It's crazy. What's the point?
Who brought the lawsuit? That’s a key to the point. In light of the testimony - even from his own employees - about Depp’s extreme substance abuse disorder and behaviors related to that, it seems obvious that a reasonable person would not have gone to great lengths to be sure all the nasty details got put on record in court in two different countries.

What kind of person cannot recognize their own very significant flaws? What kind of person cannot ever admit to being wrong? What kind of person seems to enjoy inflicting humiliation on others even at the cost of humiliating themselves?

Most psychologists would start thinking - narcissistic personality disorder, or at least very pronounced narcissistic traits. Narcissism is normal in children, but healthy people outgrow it. In adults it’s generally considered to be an adaptive response to childhood abuse.

The more I see the more I’m convinced they both have personality disorders and together it was a truly toxic stew. Two abused kids who grew up to be abusers. The whole thing is very sad. I don’t plan to watch anymore myself, it’s too bleak.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

Joe Guy wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 1:09 am
In spite of having started this thread, I haven't been following closely enough to understand what's really going on with this trial.
Imagine two toddlers in a playpen fighting over a toy. It's just like that, but with more money, and less intelligence, involved.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Well, it looks like Depp came out on the winning end of this trial (pending years of appeals etc.).

I watched enough of the trial to find Amber Heard difficult to believe. At times on the witness stand she seemed to be attempting to act more than her talent allowed her. Either way, from what I've read and seen, it looks like Depp especially won big in the court of public opinion, which surprised me. I think he will continue to do okay but I don't see a lot of big movie roles coming to Amber.

But who knows? Maybe she can take acting lessons.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Best argument ever to make libel and slander felonies.