Air pollution

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
MajGenl.Meade

Air pollution

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

How did I miss this from back in good old 2021 at the COP in Glasgow.
Obama moved on to warn world leaders have “not done nearly enough to address this crisis”. Unfortunately, it seemed the former White House chief hadn’t done enough research on Scotland.

Concluding the speech, he said: “Since we’re in the Emerald Isle here, let me quote the bard, William Shakespeare.

:loon
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Re: Air pollution

Post by Gob »

:lol:
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

With regard to the average American, citing Shakespeare is a classic example of casting pearls before swine.  I prefer to see Obama's remark as recognizing and acknowledging that he was among people literate enough to have some passing knowledge of the works of the Bard of Avon.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:43 pm
With regard to the average American, citing Shakespeare is a classic example of casting pearls before swine.  I prefer to see Obama's remark as recognizing and acknowledging that he was among people literate enough to have some passing knowledge of the works of the Bard of Avon.
You get it though, right? He thought Scotland was Ireland and that Shakespeare is the Bard of Ireland (or Scotland).

And anyway, why do you think Scots are literate enough to have etc. etc, ? Oh, you meant the foreign visitors!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:25 pm
Bicycle Bill wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:43 pm
You get it though, right? He thought Scotland was Ireland and that Shakespeare is the Bard of Ireland (or Scotland).

And anyway, why do you think Scots are literate enough to have etc. etc, ? Oh, you meant the foreign visitors!
So let me see if I've got this straight.

There are two Irelands; Ireland (which is an independent country) and Northern Ireland, which is part of the United Kingdom that also includes Great Britain, Scotland, and Wales — in much the same way that Texas, California, and Florida are separate states but still part of the United States.

HOWEVER, each and every one of these five entities (Ireland, N Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and GB) have their own individual history and ethnic pride, and enjoy to some degree the privilege of self-governement — again, much like Texas, California, Florida and the other forty-seven states and five US Territories.  And God help anyone who mixes them up or conflates them into a homogeneous entity, whether from ignorance, malice, or anything else.

So basically, your version of whacked-out loyalists/nationalists/patriots/whatever is as bad as we have here in the good ol' USA.  The only difference I see is that you've been at it longer than we have....    :shrug
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Obviously you haven't got it

The Emerald Isle is Ireland. Both Irelands - the lump of earth island of Ireland

Obama referred to Scotland as the Emerald Isle.

The "bard" of Scotland would be Robert Burns.

Shakespeare is the Bard of Avon which is in England.

Next time some silly English person makes a major speech in the US of A, refers to it as the Frozen North, and quotes the "US poet laureate" Octavio Paz because he happens to have been born on the North American continent (close is good enough, right?), you will feel that's all very educational eh? :lol: