Justified and ancient

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Gob

Justified and ancient

Post by Gob »

This is 6 miles down the road from me. Always gives people a chuckle when you see the hippies venerating it .
The Penwith Moors, north of Penzance in the far west of Cornwall, form one of the richest archaeological landscapes in the country.

Just search “historical landmark” on Google Maps and zoom in on the area if you want to see what I mean. The huge Lanyon Quoit; the holed stone at Mên-an-Tol; the Boskednan stone circle; the Iron Age hillfort at Chûn; and much more besides: thousands of years of prehistory crammed into an area just a few miles across.

Among these fabled monuments, you’ll spot a lesser-known landmark, named by Google as “Morvah Standing Stones”. Rising from the scrub at a lonely junction like a granite mushroom, it seems to be a diminutive example of the Neolithic dolmens known as “quoits” in Cornwall. One enthusiastic Google reviewer describes it as an “ancient landmark used by forgotten people of the past” and a “mystical stone signpost”. Who knows, wonders the reviewer, “why these stones were placed here”?

When I spotted this bit of digital mapping recently it provided me with an almighty belly-laugh. I grew up just down the hill from the “Morvah Standing Stones”, and I can tell you exactly which forgotten person of the past built this particular mystical signpost. It wasn’t a druid; it was Terry Davey, a local farmer with a wicked sense of humour, who shunted the thing into place with his tractor in 1999.

Continues here..

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Burning Petard

Re: Justified and ancient

Post by Burning Petard »

Thank you. With the local and international news headlines right now, I really need a good belly laugh.

Snailgate

Gob

Re: Justified and ancient

Post by Gob »

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”