Is it even worth bothering...

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Gob

Is it even worth bothering...

Post by Gob »

with "mass shooting" posts any more?
A teenage gunman in military-style clothing opened fire with a rifle at a supermarket in Buffalo, New York, in a shooting that authorities called a “hate crime and racially motived violent extremism”, killing 10 people and wounding three others before surrendering to police on Saturday afternoon, authorities said.

Police officials said the 18-year-old gunman, who is white, was wearing body armor and military-style clothing when he pulled up and opened fire at people at a Tops Friendly Market about 2.30pm, with the shooting streamed via a camera affixed to the man’s helmet.

Later, he appeared before a judge in a paper medical gown and was arraigned on murder charges.

“He exited his vehicle. He was very heavily armed. He had tactical gear. He had a tactical helmet on. He had a camera that he was livestreaming what he was doing,” city police commissioner Joseph Gramaglia said at a news conference afterward.

According to the Associated Press, the shooting was broadcast live on the streaming platform Twitch for at least two minutes before the service ended his transmission.

More

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Re: Is it even worth bothering...

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Gob wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 7:03 am
Later, he appeared before a judge in a paper medical gown and was arraigned on murder charges.
Why was a judge wearing a paper medical gown?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

The cops should have shot him down like the mad dog he was — but of course, that ain't allowed in our 'polite' society.
Now the fucker is going to have a forum, and a long, drawn-out trial which will eventually find him 'guilty' but with some form of mental defect, and the cock-sucker will end up with a 'life' sentence in some institution somewhere.
I say, sit the mother-fucker down in a chair with a blindfold on him, and give me a 9-mm Glock.  I'll walk up behind him and gladly blow his brains into next week.
Even better, make sure he's in a room with a hard-tile floor, and let me wear shoes with metal taps on the heels.  That way, the son-of-a-bitch will be able to hear me coming.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I live perhaps 2 miles from the Louisville supermarket (Kroger) where two Black shoppers were killed in 2018. The killer now has a life sentence, whatever that means in reality. I occasionally shop there.

I lived in Buffalo for years maybe 5 miles or so from that branch of Tops - I don't recall ever shopping there. About 30 years ago I was featured on a local news segment about lead in tap water and we did a random survey of 30-odd households and found that lead levels were OK with some a bit elevated. This wasn't Flint MI. Talking to the producers of the segment, I suggested a larger survey, perhaps using supermarkets as distribution and collection points for sample bottles and so on. I remember clearly them telling me that wouldn't work because large areas of Buffalo were 'food deserts' with no supermarkets, only high priced 'convenience' stores with a dearth of fresh vegetables etc. That was news to me. Of course the desert areas were inner - i.e. majority Black - areas of the city. This was obviously part of the cycle and contributed to poor health and obesity etc among the Black population.

So when this particular Tops was opened ten years or so later it was a cause for celebration. Finally a major supermarket chain had opened in an 'undesirable' area. It's worth pointing to the fact that the shooter lived in Binghamton which is about a three hour drive from Buffalo so he was not picking on some random supermarket.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

July first I will be able to purchase and carry a hand gun without a permit. Good ole Indiana values at work. The wild west isn't gone it just shifted in time and location a bit.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Well you may need it in the event of Indian attacks; in the old cowboy movies the handguns were better than rifles--one shot could take out 6 or 7 attackers.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

74A25C08-307A-4982-A1BA-2DC68283137A.jpeg
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Big RR wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:04 pm
Well you may need it in the event of Indian attacks; in the old cowboy movies the handguns were better than rifles--one shot could take out 6 or 7 attackers.
And it never had to be reloaded, either....
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

B9AA64BE-FD5B-4633-8D28-BB8F20B8F3E7.jpeg
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 5:48 pm
July first I will be able to purchase and carry a hand gun without a permit. Good ole Indiana values at work. The wild west isn't gone it just shifted in time and location a bit.
About time. Too bad it's not the law everywhere.

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 3:48 am
TPFKA@W wrote:
About time. Too bad it's not the law everywhere.
Congratulations, Jarlaxle.  Gang-bangers and drive-by shooters everywhere are standing up and applauding your courageous words, because what you are espousing would actually make their concealed weapons suddenly legitimate.

What is the world coming to?  It's already OK in several places in America to purchase and carry a handgun ... a device that has, as its only purpose, the delivery of death and destruction (and don't tell me you only use it for target practice or hunting — you're not planning on carrying it because you might, all of a sudden, decide to poke holes in a piece of paper or bag a rabbit or squirrel for dinner), without needing a permit, training, or anything but the money necessary to buy it.  But it is still required to prove proficiency and obtain a license to be able to drive a car, and insurance and registration in order to be able to own one and operate it on the public roads.  Or to be licensed in order to be a doctor, or a lawyer, or a hairdresser, or a bartender...

Although I suppose Jarlaxle feels that licensing in those situations is unnecessary too.
-"BB"-

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Make sure you run out and buy some guns on July 1st so you can go outside to fire them up in the air on the 4th of July. That would be fun.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:19 am

Congratulations, Jarlaxle.  Gang-bangers and drive-by shooters everywhere are standing up and applauding your courageous words, because what you are espousing would actually make their concealed weapons suddenly legitimate.
That is bullshit. You know that's bullshit.
What is the world coming to?  It's already OK in several places in America to purchase and carry a handgun ... a device that has, as its only purpose, the delivery of death and destruction (and don't tell me you only use it for target practice or hunting — you're not planning on carrying it because you might, all of a sudden, decide to poke holes in a piece of paper or bag a rabbit or squirrel for dinner), without needing a permit, training, or anything but the money necessary to buy it.  But it is still required to prove proficiency and obtain a license to be able to drive a car, and insurance and registration in order to be able to own one and operate it on the public roads.  Or to be licensed in order to be a doctor, or a lawyer, or a hairdresser, or a bartender...

Although I suppose Jarlaxle feels that licensing in those situations is unnecessary too.
-"BB"-
Most professional licensing is somewhere between rent-seeking and a cartel.

I understand...you believe a woman who has been beaten, raped, and strangled with her own stockings is morally superior to a woman protecting herself with a gun.

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I see the problem, but I also see a different solution than arming everyone and turning the streets into Deadwood in the 1870s again.

Sure, the idea of the woman being attacked shooting down her assailant rather than be assaulted, robbed, raped, or worse is attractive and would definitely be a example of instant karma — but how often is that the case? There are too many people out there already attacking and killing people (and not always with a gun) over such perceived slights and offenses as driving too slow in front of them, or cheering for a different sports team, or being a different color, race, or sexual preference than themselves (take the kid at the grocery store in Buffalo ... please!).  Giving a gun to everyone who wants one, and then adding alcohol or whatever other drug of choice you care to name, will end up with the streets being turned into a version of Hogan's Alley.

Maybe you can call that 'civilization' and be content to live in that sort of world, but I certainly can't.
-"BB"-

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 5:34 am
I see the problem, but I also see a different solution than arming everyone and turning the streets into Deadwood in the 1870s again.

Sure, the idea of the woman being attacked shooting down her assailant rather than be assaulted, robbed, raped, or worse is attractive and would definitely be a example of instant karma — but how often is that the case? There are too many people out there already attacking and killing people (and not always with a gun) over such perceived slights and offenses as driving too slow in front of them, or cheering for a different sports team, or being a different color, race, or sexual preference than themselves (take the kid at the grocery store in Buffalo ... please!).  Giving a gun to everyone who wants one, and then adding alcohol or whatever other drug of choice you care to name, will end up with the streets being turned into a version of Hogan's Alley.

Maybe you can call that 'civilization' and be content to live in that sort of world, but I certainly can't.
-"BB"-
So...considering the many places that ALREADY HAVE permitless concealed carry, you must, therefore, have some EVIDENCE to back up your claim, right? You must have some ACTUAL EVIDENCE that it will cause more crime...right?

Because you would NEVER make a baseless claim...right...?

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Not knowing
1) ALL the places that have concealed carry, and
2) the crime rates of these areas, I have to depend on anecdotal data to make an assessment.

However, since you assure me that there are SO MANY PLACES that already allow concealed carry (whether registered/licensed or not), and I see that there are still assaults/rapes/robberies/killings in just about every location in the country, I don't think you need to have the IQ of Einstein or Stephen Hawking to realize that the possibility of running up against someone who is packing heat doesn't seem to be doing a damned thing to slow down the criminals.

And my original complaint wasn't with the idea of concealed carry in and of itself ... it was, if I may remind you, with the concept of unrestricted concealed carry — quote: "without needing a permit, training, or anything but the money necessary to buy it" — and the addition of yet more firearms to the killing fields.
-"BB"-

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Montana allows concealed carry by a shall issue permit that it is very hard to get denied, and open carry, and just about everyone has guns it’s a guns guns guns society.

Also has the highest suicide rate in the nation most every year and yes most of those suicides are by firearms.

When I was a county attorney I had to receive and review all deaths not attended by medical professionals, so I got to see my share of coroner’s reports with accompanying photos. After you’ve seen the scene of death photos of a couple dozen heads blown to bits by firearms suicide you tend to develop a nuanced view of the 2nd amendment. I’m sure the coroners who deal with all the bodies ripped apart by bushmasters and other assault rifle fire feel similar. I bet the LEOs and medical people and coroner who responded to Sandy Hook are still having flashbacks and nightmares about seeing those small childrens bodies ripped apart by bullets.

America is sick with guns. Nothing is ever going to change if it didn’t change after Sandy Hook.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

If I come to the USA can I buy a gun and shoot people please?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Gob wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 6:59 am
If I come to the USA can I buy a gun and shoot people please?
Only if you register as a Republican.
And of course, you've got to promise to shoot the right kind of people ... if you know what I mean.
-"BB"-

Gob

Post by Gob »

Any particular school or church?