Remember Dales?

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Gob

Remember Dales?

Post by Gob »

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

ex-khobar Andy

Re: Remember Dales?

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

OK I'll ask - we haven't seen Dales for a while - is he OK? And while we are in California, we haven't seen anything from Rube for a few months.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

And yet another example of "life without chance of parole" not being life without chance of parole.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Long Run wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 5:44 pm
And yet another example of "life without chance of parole" not being life without chance of parole.
That's why I still tend to believe in capital punishment.   You know, death without chance of resuscitation.

She should have already been dead, buried, and forgotten.  If I remember correctly, the Manson family was originally sentenced to death...  but then, California commuted their sentences to life w/o parole when the People v. Anderson ruling by the California Supreme Court eliminated the death penalty in 1972.
(and just for the historical record, California reinstated the death penalty less than a year later, when the voters themselves — you know, "We the People"? — approved Proposition 17 in November 1972.  At that point, as far as I'm concerned, all commuted sentences should have been voided, just as the state can revoke parole, and the original sentences put back into effect, and the gas chamber gone back into regular use long before the country celebrated its Bicentennial.)

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The sentences were commuted to life, not life without parole. To my recollection, LWOP didn't exist at that point in time in California.

As to reversing the commutations, also not possible. Anderson voided all death sentences for crimes committed before 1972. No law passed subsequently could have reinstated them, as that would be an ex post facto law, which is unconstitutional. Of course, Furman v. Georgia subsequently made Proposition 17 inoperable, so the point is moot.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown