Save the planet

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Gob

Save the planet

Post by Gob »

go smack this idiot in the head..
This is the moment a man was dragged away by security guards after throwing a custard pie at the Mona Lisa painting.

Visitors to the Louvre art gallery in Paris were left stunned by the incident which happened moments before closing time on Sunday night.

Witnesses said a man, who was wearing a wig and dressed as a woman, was rolling past Leonardo da Vinci's famous masterpiece in a wheelchair before suddenly leaping to his feet and launching a pie at the canvas.

The perpetrator then threw a bouquet of roses into the air and was tackled to the ground by Louvre security guards moments later.

No damage was caused to the priceless painting which is protected by a bulletproof screen.

Scores of bystanders watched on, snapping pictures of the Mona Lisa which was partially obscured from view by smears of pie crusted on the protective glass.

The man, who wore a dark black wig and lipstick, turned out to be an artist and climate change activist who said he pied the prized painting in protest.

'Think about the Earth. People are in the process of destroying the Earth!' he declared as he was led away by security guards.

'Artists think about the Earth, that's why I did this. Think of the planet!'

Officials returned to the scene moments later to wipe away the smeared dessert from the glass as stunned gallery visitors watched on.

Today officials at the Louvre were not available to comment and it is not clear if police were involved.

It is not the first time the Mona Lisa has been the subject of an attack.

In 2011 a Russian woman threw a cup of tea at the painting after being refused French citizenship and the protective glass was damaged.

In 1956, da Vinci's painting survived another attack when a vandal doused it with acid while it was on display at a museum in Montauban.

The lower portion of the painting suffered considerable damage but was ultimately restored and has since been displayed behind a protective cover.

Mona Lisa, now thought to be 519 years old, watches on from behind a bulletproof screen year-round, and is removed from her casing just once a year for experts to check her condition.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Long Run

Re: Save the planet

Post by Long Run »

Glad Mona Lisa did not lose her smile. Do the painters hands tremble now.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The answer is clearly to prevent trans people from entering museums, so that people pretending to be trans can't get in to damage the artwork.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

The man, who wore a dark black wig and lipstick, turned out to be an artist and climate change activist who said he pied the prized painting in protest.
How ingenious! His tactic worked. The first thing I thought of when I heard someone threw a custard pie at the Mona Lisa was climate change.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The story is in news sources all over the world. I’d say he successfully raised the trending status of climate change for at least a short while.

In fairness we live in fucked up societies that tolerate the trafficking and mass murder of children, so we’ve got a lot of nasty shit on our minds. But we do seem to be largely ignoring the climate change thing.

Hey at least this pie throwing Mona Lisa fan made the news. A month ago on Earth Day a climate activist immolated himself on the steps of the US Supreme Court, and his protest slash sacrifice of life barely made the news, even in DC. At the same time there was a shooter burning through hundreds of bullets targeting a DC school with his AR. Amerikkka.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 1:54 am
The story is in news sources all over the world. I’d say he successfully raised the trending status of climate change for at least a short while. ....
What did he accomplish though? My guess is zero. I don't even know what his message was supposed to convey.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Joe Guy wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 2:05 am
BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 1:54 am
The story is in news sources all over the world. I’d say he successfully raised the trending status of climate change for at least a short while. ....
What did he accomplish though? My guess is zero. I don't even know what his message was supposed to convey.
I'd say it makes climate change activists look like delinquent self dramatists and despicable despoilers of culture. Not that they are that, of course. But I don't see much difference between this person and that MTG woman - two asshats

Did the self-immolator figure-in a carbon offset?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 2:12 am
Did the self-immolator figure-in a carbon offset?
Well, he's no longer breathing, so there's all that CO₂ that he's not going to be producing over whatever his normal lifespan would have been.
And then he's no longer eating, driving, purchasing and using up things, and otherwise causing the consumption of fossil fuels and resources (as well as contributing to the growing problem of waste disposal), so there's a gain there as well.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

I've left my big campervan on idle for the last 3 hours in his honour.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Mona Lisa, now thought to be 519 years old,
?????

Okay, so the movie came out in 1992, but that's no reason to slag Marissa Tomei.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Sue--it took me a second; I recall a British film called Mona Lisa from the 80s, but this did not have Melissa Tomei. As for one of the (apparently) few attorneys who couldn't stand My Cousin Vinny (and who avoided Marissa Tomei movies for a long time afterwards), I had actually put it out of my head, and now you've brought it back. Kind of like a movie ear and eye worm. Damn you!

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Big RR wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 6:28 pm
I had actually put it out of my head, and now you've brought it back. Kind of like a movie ear and eye worm. Damn you!
https://y.yarn.co/b0476d80-e22e-41e4-9a ... 65aecf.mp4

My work here is done.
GAH!

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Likely the most unbelievable plot in Seinfeld was George having a shot with Marissa Tomei. And yes, BigRR, most lawyers I know when asked their favorite legal movie cite My Cousin Vinny.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

LR--many do, and I honestly don't understand it, but chacun a son gout.

Sue--I just should have remained silent. :(

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

My Cousin Vinny is still my favorite, but a very very close second is Intolerable Cruelty (Coen brothers, with George Clooney and Catherine Zeta-Jones) if for no other reason than this courtroom exchange:

Counsel: Objection, Your Honor, strangling the witness!
Judge: I'll allow it.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Sue--the reason I dislike My Cousin Vinny is that it does what a lot of lawyer movies do--buy into the myth that someone with an otherwise "pure heart" looking out for his client(s) will prevail without any real knowledge of the law or procedure or any real work. I have spent hundreds, perhaps thousands of hours preparing for trial and hearings, and yet the movie makes it seem like a cretin can do the job better without working at all. It's better than some of the movies with similar plotlines, but I stll find it annoying.

FWIW, there aren't many lawyer movies I like--sure To Kill a Mockingbird was good, but not too realistic in the courtroom. I did enjoy And Justice for All, although I tired of Al Pacino's overacting.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The Verdict is my favorite legal movie, for so many reasons. I was very impacted when I saw the movie in my early teens - possibly even pre-teen - but rewatching it as a seasoned adult and lawyer drove home even more what a brilliant film it is and one of the best performances in all film, too.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

When was the last time you heard of a food product bragging about high calorie count?

I have been fussing with an ear worm all day. It's a commercial jingle for Royal Pudding from about 70 years ago. The last line is "More food energy than sweet, fresh milk!"

snailgate