It should be legal to shoot fuel thieves on sight

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Jarlaxle

It should be legal to shoot fuel thieves on sight

Post by Jarlaxle »

https://cdllife.com/2022/cali-trucking- ... _ufVF6ezxY

Soon, one more employer will close. :(

Big RR

Re: It should be legal to shoot fuel thieves on sight

Post by Big RR »

While I am not in any way defending the thieves, pretty much most thefts, especially for businesses, have the same effect--serious imact ont he business going forward. Why single this one out? By all mean apprehend and prosecute them. But shoot them? Why?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Reading the story reminds me of a few years ago when copper thieves stole our (workplace) AC unit cores. They come overnight and we found it in the morning. Cops told me they would probably get around $200 for the copper. I had put through an emergency capital expenditure to corporate for (IIRC) $11000 for three AC units and something like $1000 for a locked fence. I told the cops that I might as well put $300 in an envelope atop the units. They agreed and said I wasn't the first person to propose that idea. We had something like a $10,000 deductible on our insurance and it simply wasn't worth the effort of claiming it.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Same category as the catalytic converter thefts recently, where thieves realize a penny or two on the dollar for the damage caused. This lack of symmetry makes the crimes seem more heinous but not sure why.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Long Run wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:50 pm
Same category as the catalytic converter thefts recently, where thieves realize a penny or two on the dollar for the damage caused. This lack of symmetry makes the crimes seem more heinous but not sure why.
Is that because of the method they use to remove them? Because the converters themselves are worth a small fortune which is why they’re such a hot theft item.

I have a brand new catalytic converter that I need to sell while the scrap prices are high; I bought it a few years back from Rock Auto, it wasn’t the right version for my car and because I was two days past their return window they refused to take it back. Hoping to recoup most of what I spent while the scrap prices are so high.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Big RR wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:34 pm
While I am not in any way defending the thieves, pretty much most thefts, especially for businesses, have the same effect--serious imact ont he business going forward. Why single this one out? By all mean apprehend and prosecute them. But shoot them? Why?
The enormously high affects on the victim. His land is now contaminated, and he's on the hook for cleaning it up.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

You know I like you Jarl, but honestly these posts you make every now and then where you exhibit a rageful desire to see human beings murdered over property crimes are disturbing. I choose to believe that in your heart of hearts you know that every sentient born human being, no matter how fucked up, has a value higher than any material property.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Naah.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I know that in some states there is a dollar bright line between a felony and a misdemeanor. In California, if I understand correctly, it's $1000. If one does $10,000 worth of damage in stealing $300, does that get counted in the determination?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

If it doesn't. I'm sure it warrants a vandalism charge.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The $10k damage caused in the process of stealing $300 would be charged as criminal mischief, willful destruction of property, vandalism - whichever language the jurisdiction uses. In most jurisdictions such crimes are charged based on the dollar value of the damage - under a certain amount it’s a misdemeanor, over a certain amount it’s a felony with the consequent harsher penalties in terms of potential fines and potential jail term. Restitution for actual damages is also added on as a sentencing component.
~ Carl Sagan

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

The issue around here at least is, property crimes are so low on the list that even IF the perp is caught, the most time they'll face is a few hours and they'll never pay a cent in restitution because they are perpetually broke. I mean, they have no legitimate income. If the perp isn't caught on the spot, there is no investigation. Meanwhile insurance is through the roof if you can even get it.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.