NY gun laws broomed

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Jarlaxle

NY gun laws broomed

Post by Jarlaxle »

The NYSRPA won before the Supreme Court. (6-3, Clarence Thomas writing the majority opinion, concurring opinions by Alito, and by Kavanaugh joined by Roberts.) "May issue" CCW laws are in the dumpster where they belong.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/2 ... 3_7j80.pdf

https://www.scotusblog.com/2022/06/in-6 ... carry-law/

Burning Petard

Re: NY gun laws broomed

Post by Burning Petard »

"Shall Issue" is the rule in Delaware. Been that way for a while. But it also includes paperwork like finger prints from the state police, ad in the local newspaper that handles legal notices, training in handgun use and laws. All reasonable to me. Until one actually tries to comply. Significant fees are included, lots of different offices. All in all, it will take about $200 minimum and six months to giterdone. Has to be done in the county where you live. Move to another county and the permit is no good. The concealed carry permit is good for one year. Renewal process is exactly the same as first application. Do it all again. Better start the renewal application right away as soon as you get the first one. And oh, by the way, a fixed blade knife, of any size, comes under the same rules as a gun. Folding knifes are ok if the blade is 3 inches or less.

snailgate

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I presume that is for carrying a concealed knife? I have a number of butcher and chef knives with fixed blades and I presume no permit is needed in Delaware for them, correct?

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Correct--if you keep them in your kitchen. Similar rule for guns--no permit needed if you keep them in your kitchen. (So far Delaware has no rules about keeping guns locked up)

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I have a cutlery roll that I use to transport my chef’s knife and paring knives to client homes when it is my duty to cut up fruits and veggies or other food prep. I refuse to use faulty knives now that I know how much more confidence one has prepping food with good, sharp knives. It never occurred to me to wonder that I might be breaking any laws transporting my chef's knife around town.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

What Hath Clarence Thomas Wrought?

Post by Burning Petard »

Anybody tell me what this new pronouncement from the Supremes means in the real world? I have been hearing headlines that say this will make it easier to carry a pistol in New York. The Sullivan Law is dead. The Sullivan Law, preserved forever in the movie 'On The Waterfront' as the reason Marlon Brando gets a beating rather than shot.

When the current practice made it damn near impossible to legally carry a concealed pistol on the streets of NYC, what does it mean to be 'easier'?

snailgate

addendum: I printed out the entire decision from the link kindly provided by Jaraxle. 138 pages, with nice big margins to let me make my own notes. I printed it out two-sided to save paper and the printer did not jam once. Very untypical for two-sided stuff.

Jarlaxle

Re: What Hath Clarence Thomas Wrought?

Post by Jarlaxle »

Burning Petard wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:18 pm
Anybody tell me what this new pronouncement from the Supremes means in the real world? I have been hearing headlines that say this will make it easier to carry a pistol in New York. The Sullivan Law is dead. The Sullivan Law, preserved forever in the movie 'On The Waterfront' as the reason Marlon Brando gets a beating rather than shot.

When the current practice made it damn near impossible to legally carry a concealed pistol on the streets of NYC, what does it mean to be 'easier'?
You might be able to get a permit without being well-connected.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Or a retired cop. Not that more concealed/carried guns on the streets are a good idea; hotheads will start to shoot instead of use their fists. When any jerk can carry a gun, watch for more road rage and other imagined insult deaths or significant injuries.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Big RR wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:12 pm
Or a retired cop. Not that more concealed/carried guns on the streets are a good idea; hotheads will start to shoot instead of use their fists. When any jerk can carry a gun, watch for more road rage and other imagined insult deaths or significant injuries.
I read a story just this morning about a road rage driver here in Massachusetts who punched a 16 year old driver in the face and drove his head into the steering wheel. I’m sure everything would have been entirely okay if he had been carrying a handgun on his person.

Rage and handguns are not a good mix. We don’t need more people carrying guns but that’s exactly what we are going to get. Don’t worry though! The forced pregnancies and deliveries will create lots of new bodies to replace all the extra murdered ones.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

liberty

Post by liberty »

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — A woman in West Virginia fatally shot a man who began firing an AR-15-style rifle into a crowd of people that had gathered for a party, authorities said.

Dennis Butler, 37, was killed Wednesday night after he pulled out the rifle and began shooting at dozens of people attending the birthday-graduation party outside an apartment complex in Charleston, police said in a statement.

The woman, who was attending the party, drew a pistol and fired, killing Butler, the statement said. No one at the party was injured.

Latest from Uvalde:List of what went wrong in Texas school massacre grows

“Instead of running from the threat, she engaged with the threat and saved several lives last night,” Chief of Detectives Tony Hazelett told news outlets Thursday.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Certain tasks, like engaging an active shooter, defusing a bomb, or trying to land a passenger jetliner, are best left to trained professionals, not amateurs with good intentions. It may have worked out well this time, but I still wouldn't stake MY life on it.

Not to mention that when the police DO arrive, they could very well find themselves confronted with a situation in which there there are now TWO (or more) people firing weapons. Unless they are psychic, how do they tell which ones are the bad guys and which ones ain't?

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I'm a little confused by this WV story. On the face of it the female shooter was the classic 'good guy with a gun' - but did Dennis Butler really fire his AR-15 at a crowd of people resulting in exactly zero injuries? Something does not add up.

Nevertheless there are undoubtedly true stories of 'good guys with guns' who prevent or curtail serious crimes, and this may be one of them. But if some of us, who want to see some sort of limitations on gun ownership (training, registration, insurance, that sort of thing) can't use Sandy Hook or Uvalde as an argument against unlimited guns, then those who want to see more guns in more hands certainly cannot use this incident as evidence for your view.