There Must be More to This Story...

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Joe Guy

There Must be More to This Story...

Post by Joe Guy »

Black man beaten, left bloodied after alleged stop sign violation in Tennessee

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation has opened a probe into the brutal arrest of a Black man who was chased into a home, where a loved one recorded as he was beaten and shocked with a Taser after alleged traffic violations.

The video begins when officers follow a man into a home in the town of Oakland, Tennessee, about 40 miles east of Memphis. One Oakland Police Department officer is swinging a baton, while another has a gun drawn, the video shows.

A woman inside the home can be heard screaming: "Stop, stop, Brandon, Brandon, stop! Stop hitting him!"

The officers chase the man upstairs into a den and begin to shock him with a Taser.

"Why are you chasing and hitting him?" the woman asks. "He has no weapons." A woman can also be heard saying: "I need to call my mom. I need to call his mom."

After a third law enforcement officer arrives, all three try to detain the man in a room. When he exits the room, his face is bloodied.

Officers tried to pull over Brandon Calloway, 25, after he drove through a stop sign, according to a police affidavit.

Calloway, who was in a gray Chevrolet Camaro, "sped away," driving 32 mph in a 20 mph zone, the affidavit said. When he did not stop, officers activated their lights, according to the document.

The officers followed Calloway to a home, where he stopped the vehicle and ran inside. "This is my ... house and I did stop for the sign," Calloway yelled as he ran, using an expletive, according to police.

Officers kicked in the front door and another door to a room that Calloway had locked himself in, police said. One officer used his Taser on Calloway and another struck him with a baton, the affidavit said. They then detained him.

He's charged with evading arrest, resisting, disorderly conduct, failing to stop at a stop sign and speeding.

In response to a request for comment, Oakland Police Chief Chris Earl said the incident was under investigation.

The TBI said it is investigating the incident at the request of 25th Judicial District Attorney General Mark Davidson.

Calloway's attorney, Andre Wharton, told WMC his client didn't know police intended to pull him over because officers didn't initially activate their sirens.

“Brandon obviously was trying to figure out what’s going on here. Why are you guys following me? I’m not violating any law,” Wharton said.

The lawyer said he is left questioning how a traffic stop "turns into head injuries, hospitalization and significant pain and suffering."
source

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bxYlTHpdis

BoSoxGal

Re: There Must be More to This Story...

Post by BoSoxGal »

I saw that on the news. Seems clear the cops are out of control. I expect a big fat payout for the victim and a couple of cops moving some place more rural to find another job with a license to bully and beat.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Even if the cops' assertion is true - ran stop sign, didn't stop for the cops etc. - they have his plate number and probably video so they could have just mailed him a ticket.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Mail him a ticket--where is the fun in that? They did not get their uniform and weapons on that fancy belt to be a mail clerk.

snailgate

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Officers tried to pull over Brandon Calloway, 25, after he drove through a stop sign, according to a police affidavit.

Calloway, who was in a gray Chevrolet Camaro, "sped away," driving 32 mph in a 20 mph zone, the affidavit said. When he did not stop, officers activated their lights, according to the document.
I dunno. Isn't it a good idea to activate the lights if you want to "pull (someone) over"? Is ESP the preferred notification?

Or do you think the journo is a loser who should have put "When he did not stop" etc. Right after the word "affidavit"?

Yours
Confused (Retd)
The Blendings
Little Tetley, Shucks.,
UK
Last edited by MajGenl.Meade on Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

My understanding is that the pursuit was about a half mile. To my mind, that makes it exponentially more disgusting that the cops went into AGGRO RAGE MODE so quickly. Because a black boy talked back at them.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:45 am
I saw that on the news. Seems clear the cops are out of control. I expect a big fat payout for the victim and a couple of cops moving some place more rural to find another job with a license to bully and beat.
Hopefully, one or both will be introduced to 128 grains at 3000fps to the chest first.

liberty

Post by liberty »

It works like this: if a cop is behind you, he turns on his siren lights, and you must stop. You have no choice in the matter. If you run, he has to pursue you; in most jurisdictions. If you resist, he can use force. Now what he's not supposed to do is strike the neck or head with the baton. If the cop is 300 pounds and the suspect is 100 pounds, the cop would have trouble justifying his use of the stick. However, some individuals are much bigger than the cops, so the cop has to use weapons to do his job or end up being subdued and losing his gun, which is severe.

A couple of weeks ago, I was running late getting to a work site, so I had my cruise control set to 70 miles an hour. Near Ruston, I was coming down a hill, and I saw a cop at the bottom; I glanced down and looked at my instrument panel and saw my cruise control was on and set to 70. The cop came after me anyway; I didn't understand it; I wasn't speeding. I pulled over, and when he came to the window, I said I was going 70. He said I was doing 85 in a 70 MPH zone. I had my cruise control on and set to 70. I usually don't say anything to a cop; I sit quietly and follow instructions. I knew I wasn't speeding; he said I was doing 85 in a 70-mph zone, and I knew that was wrong. He took my registration and went to his car. When he came back and said," I'm not going to give you a ticket, just a verbal warning this time." I hate to think this because I greatly respect the state police. I believe they are our best police agency. I think he looked at the registration, saw who I worked for, and knew we had tracking devices in our cars; in other words, I could prove I wasn't speeding. I think that's why I didn't get a ticket. If I had been driving my own car, I would have gotten a ticket and would not be able to prove I was not speeding.
Last edited by liberty on Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Every cruise control I have ever used (a lot) is designed to hold a constant speed on a relatively flat surface. On any semi-serious hills, it often cannot keep that speed up, and the car slows below the set cruise speed.

On a down slope, cruise control MAY try to slow the car but most often (or always) is overcome by gravity. You could well have been doing 80. You don't look at your CC you look at your speedometer to see what speed you are doing.

And I doubt any car "tracking" system is sophisticated enough to generate speed data over a few hundred yards of distance. The cop didn't give a rat's ass who you work for. He just gave you a break because you've got a clean record (and you're white).

Plus the case of this dead chap seems to (SEEMS TO) show that they didn't turn their red/blues on until after he fled. How was he supposed to know he should pull over for a failure to stop when they didn't turn their lights on but somehow or other thought they were pulling him over? Now if he failed to stop and THEN they turned on the flashers, yes, he probably should have stopped but it seems he was afraid he'd end up dead. Guess you were not worried about that possibility (do you wonder why not?)
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Since the cops chased the man into his house, I thought that maybe the suspect had an outstanding warrant. No matter what part of this story we're missing, the officers have a lot of explaining to do.

In regards to this:
liberty wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:04 am
......A couple of weeks ago, I was running late getting to a work site, so I had my cruise control set to 70 miles an hour.....
If the speed limit was 70 mph and you were running late, how was setting your cruise control at 70mph supposed to help you get to your worksite sooner?

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

My 4-year-old Toyota speed control does get active on downhills. I lets the speed go 5 mph above setting, Any more and it shifts the tranny down and then even hits the brakes, without any movement of my hands or feet. I have not driven in the far west, but there are some real hills in West Virginia. It has shifted down third and rpm red-lined at 6300 but it has not met a hill it could not maintain at 65mph. But that is rare because the hills usually mean slower traffic in front of me. The main road connecting State College PA with Harrisburg has some long twisty hills. Headed South I would shift the tranny into neutral just to see how fast gravity would get me. Easily some fun curves at 80mph. But usually I had to touch the brakes because all lanes in front of me were blocked by drivers who couldn't dare some of the curves at 55. There typically was a big drop off on one side and steep hillside right to the shoulder on the other.

snailgate
Last edited by Burning Petard on Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Joe Guy wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:19 am
Since the cops chased the man into his house, I thought that maybe the suspect had an outstanding warrant. No matter what part of this story we're missing, the officers have a lot of explaining to do.

In regards to this:
liberty wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:04 am
......A couple of weeks ago, I was running late getting to a work site, so I had my cruise control set to 70 miles an hour.....
If the speed limit was 70 mph and you were running late, how was setting your cruise control at 70mph supposed to help you get to your worksite sooner?
I usually set my cruise control to two or three mph under the speed limit to give myself a safety margin.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

liberty

Post by liberty »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:13 am
Every cruise control I have ever used (a lot) is designed to hold a constant speed on a relatively flat surface. On any semi-serious hills, it often cannot keep that speed up, and the car slows below the set cruise speed.

On a down slope, cruise control MAY try to slow the car but most often (or always) is overcome by gravity. You could well have been doing 80. You don't look at your CC you look at your speedometer to see what speed you are doing.

And I doubt any car "tracking" system is sophisticated enough to generate speed data over a few hundred yards of distance. The cop didn't give a rat's ass who you work for. He just gave you a break because you've got a clean record (and you're white).

Plus the case of this dead chap seems to (SEEMS TO) show that they didn't turn their red/blues on until after he fled. How was he supposed to know he should pull over for a failure to stop when they didn't turn their lights on but somehow or other thought they were pulling him over? Now if he failed to stop and THEN they turned on the flashers, yes, he probably should have stopped but it seems he was afraid he'd end up dead. Guess you were not worried about that possibility (do you wonder why not?)
It would show that I had not driven above the speed limit since leaving my house.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I've been pulled over for speeding six times in the last 25 years. Each time I was, indeed, over the limit by 5 to 10 mph. I paid the fine, went to traffic school, whatever.

Twice the cop exaggerated the speed, both times in Indiana as it happens. My speedometer has always been accurate (over several cars) because I have a habit, on long highway drives, of checking it with mileposts and a watch. 51 seconds for a mile = 70 mph; 60 seconds = 60 mph. And of course more recently the GPS gives speed.

In 2014 I was stopped near Cedar Lake IN and the cop told me I was doing 54 in a 30 zone. I was certainly doing more than 30 but I am not crazy and 54 would have been just plain dangerous. 54 put it into a higher fine range. When I got to my destination my friend said "What do you expect? Out of state plates (KY) and it's the last day of the month." That cost me $200+.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

liberty wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:43 am

It would show that I had not driven above the speed limit since leaving my house.
No it wouldn't = you were speeding going downhill with the cruise control doing nothing except giving in to gravity

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

liberty wrote:
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:08 am
No it wouldn't = you were speeding going downhill with the cruise control doing nothing except giving in to gravity
Also, the extreme wear and lingering smoke coming from his left shoe from using his left foot to save wear on his car brakes would cause police to suspect that he exceeded the speed limit occasionally.

liberty

Post by liberty »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:08 am
liberty wrote:

Well, we will see. I go to that side of the state regularly; the next time I am at that hill, I will test out your theory. We don't have any serious hills in Louisiana. The highest point in the state is mount Driskill, 535 ft.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:13 am

Naah. Many will downshift to hold speed on a downhill. Heck, my Crown Vic did that. Hondas have done it for decades now.
And I doubt any car "tracking" system is sophisticated enough to generate speed data over a few hundred yards of distance.
Your doubts have no bearing on reality. The trackers in the trucks at work can frequently tell which lane I am in. Speed at a certain point? Child's play!

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

My RAV4 hybrid will apply regenerative braking when going downhill with the cruise control set, so it will not only keep a steady speed but it will also recharge the battery at the same time!
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:49 am
Naah. Many will downshift to hold speed on a downhill. Heck, my Crown Vic did that. Hondas have done it for decades now.
Hence I made the caveat that cruise control "MAY try to slow the car". I used big letters.
Jarlaxle wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:49 am
Your doubts have no bearing on reality. The trackers in the trucks at work can frequently tell which lane I am in. Speed at a certain point? Child's play!
If it's simply a GPS locator that tells WHERE the car is (so it can be found if stolen) then your reality is as useful as mine but I take your point.

Lib's comment about lack of hills is more relevant in rebutting my doubt that the cop was terrified of being found out by the company's crack team of black box analysts.

Thank you