One law for the rich . . .

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
ex-khobar Andy

One law for the rich . . .

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

In The Sunday Times 2020 Rich List (a sort of UK version of Forbes 400) Frederick Barclay and his since deceased twin bother David were assessed as being worth £7 billion. In May 2021 Frederick divorced his wife and was ordered to pay £100 million as a settlement.

He hasn't paid a penny of this and a judge has just given him three months to come up with the dosh. There are plenty of people in British jails for stealing a few hundred £ worth of stuff, and I am pretty sure that if I stole £100 million - and in my view refusal to pay a debt is the same as theft - I'd be in the nick, sharpish.

BoSoxGal

Re: One law for the rich . . .

Post by BoSoxGal »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:13 pm
in my view refusal to pay a debt is the same as theft
So you don’t believe in any such thing as legitimate bankruptcy?

I’m with you that a creepy billionaire needs to pay his divorce settlement, but you lost me entirely on the global assertion.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Re: One law for the rich . . .

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

er . . . but bankruptcy is not part of the story and I imagine that ex-kA's remark is confined to the circumstances on which he was commenting. The scum naughty man has evaded paying the debt by claiming all of his petty cash is in trust for his daughter and nephews - clever move that.

I laughed at the judge suggesting he and his family should feel "shame". What a strange idea! Many things that should be regarded as shameful are now paraded with pride. Silly sausage judge!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts