Gaia on Fire

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Crackpot

Re: Gaia on Fire

Post by Crackpot »

Things are quite hazy round here. We’re under an Air quality alert ranging from poor where I work to unhealthy where I live
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Sue U wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:55 pm
It is such a shame to have to keep the doors and windows closed on what have otherwise been glorious days.
This is the part that breaks my heart. We had been having a lovely spring, too. By the time the wildfire smoke abates we will probably roll right into oppressive heat cycles.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Sadly, that's likely what we will see.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Last week we had godawful hot weather. This week is glorious except for continuing draught. Our lawn and my trees I planted are suffering. I miss heavy, glorious thunderstorms. ( The dog disagrees. )

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Air quality here has just been getting worse and worse through the day; there's now a brown haze enveloping everything like a thin fog, it's gross. I'd love a good thunderstorm to wash it away, but the forecast says there's only a chance of rain on Friday and then continued dry weather into next week. Ugh.
GAH!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Canada’s wildfires are part of our new climate reality, experts and officials say
Canada is on track to experience its most severe wildfire season on record, and it’s part of a trend experts say will intensify

When I moved out to Montana in 2007 I took the transCanada highway from Quebec through Ontario, entering at Vermont and leaving via the UP of Michigan. My overwhelming impression of Canada was wow, billions of trees.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

F80FA5C0-ADCB-463E-9807-7B782AB77334.jpeg
Eh!pocalypse Now!

That’s pretty funny, but also not so much. The news today is saying we could have episodes of this smoke all summer long because the hundreds of fires in Canada will likely continue burning all summer long so depending on weather patterns it will keep coming back.

I wonder if this experience will finally motivate the people with the power to demand real action on climate change? (I don’t really wonder, but it’s nice to think about just the same.)
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:18 pm
I wonder if this experience will finally motivate the people with the power to demand real action on climate change?
Well, they had to cancel the ball game last night, so maybe? How much pull does MLB have with Congress? Then again, those dipshit Republicans just tried to pass a bill banning any environmental regulations on gas stoves.
GAH!

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I've read some of the research on gas stoves and indoor air pollution, and while it is real enough (the cognitive effects on young children of elevated nitrogen dioxide levels is alarming) it's probably somewhere well down my list of environmental threats. Having said that, I doubt I would have had Canadian forest fires on that list before last week.

I really think N95 masks are a very good idea; and I suspect supplies will be very limited in the days to come. Get a good filter for your HVAC system - not the base $5 filter but maybe 1800 or better rating. It's tempting to go to the highest rated but if it is so efficient that air struggles to make it through in the winter, gas burners might generate carbon monoxide which is not good for you. I recall how PPE was next to impossible to find when Covid hit. Still plentiful here - we are outside the affected areas - and I stocked up yesterday. If anyone needs some and cannot find them PM me.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Andy--I agree re the environmental effects of modifying or banning gas stoves (moving to electric) as ost electricity is produced by burning fossil fuels (in NJ 46% is generated by burning gas), but no one is forcing the utilities to change that (FWIW, most of the rest is nuclear, but I don't recall the last time a nuclear power plant was built in NJ, so as they wear out, it is likely more electricity will be generated by burning fossil fuels). Not to mention that the power grid is already strained without more electric appliances (not to mention electric cars); if people can't use their electric stoves,I'll bet they move to propane barbecues and stoves--not really a solution.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

The last new nuclear power plant built broke ground almost 50 years ago.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Now it's Chicago's turn to be the City With the Worst Air Quality in the World. (WOO-HOO!!! WE'RE #1!!! WE'RE #1!!! )

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I'm afraid it's all rather beyond Congress. The best efforts of the dinosaurs didn't change their fate either
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Farmers quits Florida:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ate-crisis

The south is sweltering and Vermont holds its breath as Montpelier hangs in the balance.

Loving this global warming!
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

This author was on Morning Joe today discussing climate change denial and his new book, which sounds good: https://wwnorton.com/books/9780393866704
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

~ Carl Sagan