Update Your Apple Device Now!!!!!

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Joe Guy

Update Your Apple Device Now!!!!!

Post by Joe Guy »

Apple warns of security flaw for iPhones, iPads and Macs
Aug. 18, 2022Updated: Aug. 18, 2022 4:06 p.m.

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Apple disclosed serious security vulnerabilities for iPhones, iPads and Macs that could potentially allow attackers to take complete control of these devices.

Apple released two securityreports about the issue on Wednesday, although they didn’t receive wide attention outside of tech publications.

Apple’s explanation of the vulnerability means a hacker could get “full admin access" to the device. That would allow intruders to impersonate the device's owner and subsequently run any software in their name, said Rachel Tobac, CEO of SocialProof Security.

Security experts have advised users to update affected devices — the iPhone6S and later models; several models of the iPad, including the 5th generation and later, all iPad Pro models and the iPad Air 2; and Mac computers running MacOS Monterey. The flaw also affects some iPod models.

Apple did not say in the reports how, where or by whom the vulnerabilities were discovered. In all cases, it cited an anonymous researcher.

Commercial spyware companies such as Israel’s NSO Group are known for identifying and taking advantage of such flaws, exploiting them in malware that surreptitiously infects targets’ smartphones, siphons their contents and surveils the targets in real time.

NSO Group has been blacklisted by the U.S. Commerce Department. Its spyware is known to have been used in Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Latin America against journalists, dissidents and human rights activists.

Security researcher Will Strafach said he had seen no technical analysis of the vulnerabilities that Apple has just patched. The company has previously acknowledged similarly serious flaws and, in what Strafach estimated to be perhaps a dozen occasions, has noted that it was aware of reports that such security holes had being exploited.

Methuselah

Re: Update Your Apple Device Now!!!!!

Post by Methuselah »

Can someone site a reference that tells you how to update an iphone?
Last edited by Methuselah on Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Click on the "Settings" icon, then click on "General" and then "Software Update". You can update from there. The newest secure update will be 15.6.1. on an iPhone or iPad.

If you haven't updated your OS for a while (or never have), it's possible there may be other updates needed to get you to the current version - But it should be obvious what you need to do once you get to the "Software Update" prompt. It's a fairly simple process.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

The update for my PowerbookPro was simple and went quickly. The update on my iPhone 12 was very slow--and I was only going from 15.6 to 15.6.1.

snailgate

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Methuselah wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:59 am
Can someone site a reference that tells you how to update an iphone?
Purchase an android device?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

Thanks, Joe Guy. The update took more than an hour, but some of that may have been because of my bumbling. One item you all should be aware of is that it is a power hog and will temporarily stop if your stored power gets to 50 per cent. Plug the power cord in before you start. Put the phone next to your computer and play Solitaire as it bumbles on. You don’t really have to monitor it carefully, but it may require some input if it runs into a problem.
Last edited by Methuselah on Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Mine will update only if plugged in to shore power. My experience was opposite BP's - my MacBook required about 2 hours and my phone a few minutes. I will do the iPad today.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

My phone updated while I was asleep - I left it plugged in overnight.

My battery does seem to be exhausting faster on this OS update but maybe I’m imagining things.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Joe Guy doing a mitzvah. Thanks!

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

You're welcome. I wanted to be sure that our Plan B Apple Users didn't mitz the opportunity to download the fix quickly because Apple says that it sets the Bar high on all of their products.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

It doesn’t help me see YouTube embeds here at Plan B forum so as far as I’m concerned it's crap.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan