This is One of Those Things People Do When They Get Old and Actually Believe Others Care....

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Joe Guy

This is One of Those Things People Do When They Get Old and Actually Believe Others Care....

Post by Joe Guy »

An old friend that I've known since we were both 12 years old just texted the following photo to me that he snapped in the (probably early) 1970s in South San Francisco. You may be shocked to learn that my friend never became a professional photographer. He turned out to be a successful locksmith though and has lived to talk about it.

Anyway, that's me standing to the right of my father one day many years ago. I've edited quite a bit to remove most of the house, which was my parents' residence.

The funniest thing to me about this photo is the bell bottoms I'm wearing. Also, I'm wondering what was wrong with the lawn. My father always took very good care of it. Maybe that was during another drought. I remember that on my parents block, everybody had a front lawn. During the drought there were a lot of brown lawns around.

It should be obvious to anyone who is viewing this post that my father and I were both very dedicated followers of fashion...

Dad and Me.JPG

Big RR

Re: This is One of Those Things People Do When They Get Old and Actually Believe Others Care....

Post by Big RR »

I think the dark area of the lawn is the garage door shadow. It continues on to the driveway.

dales

Re: This is One of Those Things People Do When They Get Old and Actually Believe Others Care....

Post by dales »

I WONDER WHAT YOUR LATE FATHER WOULD THINK ABOUT THE BEHEADING ON LAUREL STREET IN SAN CARLOS.

LOTTA ANGRY AND CRAZY PEOPLE OUT THERE.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

dales wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:50 am
I WONDER WHAT YOUR LATE FATHER WOULD THINK ABOUT THE BEHEADING ON LAUREL STREET IN SAN CARLOS.

LOTTA ANGRY AND CRAZY PEOPLE OUT THERE.
That was scary. San Carlos is one of the most peaceful places on the peninsula.

Or it appears to be.

The guy (killer) apparently killed her while her (or their) 2 children were in the same house. There’s not a lot of information about it that has been released yet, although I’ve heard he is jail.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Domestic violence knows no bounds - it happens equally in peaceful law-abiding upper middle class neighborhoods as it does in poor crime ridden communities. Poverty might exacerbate but not necessarily- some very horrific wife and girlfriend killings have happened at the hands of wealthy men.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

Nice nostalgia shot mate.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Odd that I saw a pair of bell bottoms out and about here in Louisville a couple of days ago. I don't think I've seen any IRL since the 70s.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

My current hospice client/patient loves to watch this old daytime game show called Match Game - does anyone remember it? The years we watch in reruns on game show network are the 70s, the show’s first revival. The set and outfits worn by cast and contestants is a celebration of 70s fashion and I have to say - I love it! The 70s were IT for fashion. Bell bottoms and crazy colors and wide lapels and bizarre patterns - it was all so very neato keen!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Yes, Match Game '73 and '74 were my introduction to the USA daytime TV world back in those very years. Mostly '73 and Gene Rayburn.

Risque and near the knuckle (for the time) without being crudely rude. The modern version is the latter. Boorish and degenerate are the new flavors
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Nice memory, Joe. Yes, this would be during the first "poo do, pee don't" advisory. Meanwhile, LA people had green lawns and were taking 10 minute rinse-offs at the beach . . . with water pumped in from Northern California.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Long Run wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:30 pm
Nice memory, Joe. Yes, this would be during the first "poo do, pee don't" advisory. Meanwhile, LA people had green lawns and were taking 10 minute rinse-offs at the beach . . . with water pumped in from Northern California.
I remember hearing about a little line of doggerel — "If it's yellow, let it mellow, but if it's brown, flush it down" — from back around that same time... and more than one commenter mentioned that the 'brown' in this case could refer to doodie ... or to the low esteem some people held for the then-governor, Jerry Brown.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:38 pm
The set and outfits worn by cast and contestants is a celebration of 70s fashion and I have to say - I love it! The 70s were IT for fashion. Bell bottoms and crazy colors and wide lapels and bizarre patterns - it was all so very neato keen!
Oh honey...

Having been there, the '70s were an aesthetic catastrophe. I still want to know why the inventors of Qiana and Smooth Jazz haven't been brought to justice.
GAH!

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

It was the male's emergence into the glorious plumage which is the birthright of their sex.

snailgate

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Gorious plumage? In polyester?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Sue U wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:09 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:38 pm
The set and outfits worn by cast and contestants is a celebration of 70s fashion and I have to say - I love it! The 70s were IT for fashion. Bell bottoms and crazy colors and wide lapels and bizarre patterns - it was all so very neato keen!
Oh honey...

Having been there, the '70s were an aesthetic catastrophe. I still want to know why the inventors of Qiana and Smooth Jazz haven't been brought to justice.
I was there too - I still insist the styles of the 70s were far superior to anything since, which is basically all kinds and shades of drab.

Maybe it’s because it was the first decade of my life and thus an innocence and happiness attaches, but even today I love to seek out period films and shows set in the era. So much color! AND disco music to boot! Who could ask for more?
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Flares, we called 'em. Not so colorful but then it was 1975 England.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Look at that fantastic dress! Is that mom? Also love the crop top with the big lapels and pasties on the outside, very cool! Is that sister?

I would love to relive the 70s. I would make sure everyone understood about climate change and big oil if I could take a time machine back.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:04 pm
Look at that fantastic dress! Is that mom? Also love the crop top with the big lapels and pasties on the outside, very cool! Is that sister?
Good luck with the time machine. Yes - that's mum on the left. My wife (first version) on the left. Amazing waist that woman.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I can see you were going for the full Jimmy Connors thing there, Meade.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:00 pm
Flares, we called 'em. Not so colorful but then it was 1975 England.
It's a small thing, but since I too was a teen in the late '60s-early '70s (that brief period in time when every male was wearing a Nehru shirt with a turtleneck dicky underneath it, along with a big ol' medallion around his neck — or wanted to), I seem to recall that there was a difference between bell-bottoms and flares.  Bell-bottoms followed the contour of the leg until around mid-calf, then belled out; flares started to — well, flare — at about knee level or slightly above.  In my Catholic HS, males were allowed to wear flares, but not bell-bottoms — I have no idea why.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?