Update - she's gone

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
eddieq

Update - she's gone

Post by eddieq »

Hey all,

I know I've reduced my time here to lurker but you all know me and (probably) remember my dog, Xena. We let her go yesterday (November 1). She had a great going away party with tons of treats and several special walks and visits over the weekend.

So my cutie-pie-puppy-wuppy-doggie-with-ears-that-go-flippity-floppity has crossed the rainbow bridge. Born March 2, 2007. Passed surrounded by loved ones November 1, 2022.

MajGenl.Meade

Re: Update - she's gone

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Sorry ed. A little bit of us goes with them, always.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’m so sorry for your loss! Xena was a lovely girl and I’m so glad she had a nice long life with you and your family - even though it is never long enough. :hug:

If you desire it I hope that another wonderful doggo will soon join your family. Right after I lost my last one I thought ‘never again!’ - but I quickly realized that life without a dog was not for me, and having a new one around was actually a lovely way to remind me of all the moments with the dogs that came before.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

My condolences; having lost a beloved companion a few years ago, I know how it feels--as Meade said, a little piece of us goes with them. But take solace in the the time you had together and the joy she brought and gave.

And like BSG said, don't give up on any idea of a different dog--I thought never again too, but nearly a year later I got my current dog. And although she is quite different from my previous one--she brings a great deal of joy in her own way and I wouldn't give her up for anything.

Hang in there, and take care of yourself.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

My deepest sympathies, eddie. She was clearly a beautiful soul, may her memory be a blessing. My dog turned 14 last week and I can see we probably won't have more than another couple of years with her; it hardly seems fair that dogs, the embodiment of joy and love, have such short lives.
GAH!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Sue U wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:34 pm
it hardly seems fair that dogs, the embodiment of joy and love, have such short lives.
I have long lamented this cosmic injustice, but I have come to believe that their briefness is meant to teach us to live in the moments as they happen - and maybe also to give us the opportunity to share our lives with many dogs.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Very sorry for your loss. It's sad to lose such a close friend. I hope you find comfort in knowing that you gave her the best life you possibly could.

Gob

Post by Gob »

It's never easy mate, condolences. Hope you're going to give another dog(s) a happy life now?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Gob wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:16 pm
Hope you're going to give another dog(s) a happy life now?
Honestly, I'm not the one that needs convincing on that note. Mrs. Q has gone on record that she doesn't want more pets at this stage. I'll work on her. In the meantime, I've folded her crate and her cot and put them in storage in the basement. The fact that she didn't tell me to donate/sell them immediately tells me there is hope for at least doing some fostering in our future.

Thanks all

Gob

Post by Gob »

Best of luck mate, I cannot imagine life without a dog (or two or three.)
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I just saw this. I have booked my eternal stay to take place with canines over the rainbow bridge instead of wherever the hell humans go. When I get there I will look Xena up give her celestial ears a scritch for you

I am sorry for your loss.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Sorry for your loss Eddie. Dogs are the best.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

0035CE78-4BC7-4127-B315-4133715310D3.jpeg
~ Carl Sagan

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:17 pm
0035CE78-4BC7-4127-B315-4133715310D3.jpeg
I have managed to pet most dogs and cats I have encountered in the last week. This does help. Not perfect though.

I picked up her ashes Friday. She’s home.
Last edited by eddieq on Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I have outlived four dogs. The first to go was due to my own ignorance and stupidity. Heartworms and he was the only male dog that has been part of my family. The others-- three bitches -- all gone because of various form of cancer. But lots of good memories. They each taught me that SOB should not be an insult.

snailgate

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Burning Petard wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:48 pm
I have outlived four dogs. The first to go was due to my own ignorance and stupidity. Heartworms and he was the only male dog that has been part of my family. The others-- three bitches -- all gone because of various form of cancer. But lots of good memories. They each taught me that SOB should not be an insult.

snailgate
Including childhood pets, this is the fourth dog I've outlived. Three cats, too. Xena was definitely my "heart dog".