Start them young..

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
MajGenl.Meade

Re: Start them young..

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Scooter wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:07 am
The Village Idiot wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:17 am
A while back, I was leaving Wendy's store and saw a guy approaching; he was black, by the way, I held the door open for him. He took the door and said you better hold it open for me.
I'll take "Total Bullshit that Never Happened" for $800, Alex.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Econoline wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:27 pm
Yeah, maybe anyone COULD, but how many people actually DID? :loon :shrug

And why are there FOUR TIMES as many guns in circulation now than there were then? What percentage of those guns sold in the '60s were semi-automatic (and how many of those routinely used 30-round [or more] magazines?), and how does that compare to the percentage of the firearms sold in, say, the past 10 years?
They were quite common. Heck, you could get surplus Garands and M1 carbines (designed and prototyped in a prison!) cheap. Surplus battle rifles were <$20. The Winchester 63 had been in production since 1933, and semiautomatic rifles were quite common before WW1. (The Remington Model 8-the first successful SA rifle larger than a .22-debuted as the Remington Autoloading Rifle in 1905.) The M1 carbine often used a 30-shot magazine. Semiautomatic pistols were VERY common, having been standard issue for almost 35 years and widely available surplus. (My grandfather had a military surplus semiautomatic pistol he bought in 1947.) Semiautomatic pistols in various loadings have been around since about 1900 (the 9x19 Parabellum, the most common handgun caliber in the world, came out in 1902.)

Liz and I taught handgun safety classes today. For demonstrations, she used her Beretta 92, I used my grandfather's old 1911 and my S&W Model 29. Got an offer to buy the 1911. (As Rhett Atkins, Bobby Pinson, and Dallas Davidson, said: it ain't worth a lot of money, and it damn sure ain't for sale.)
Last edited by Jarlaxle on Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

liberty

Post by liberty »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:05 am
Scooter wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:07 am
The Village Idiot wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:17 am
A while back, I was leaving Wendy's store and saw a guy approaching; he was black, by the way, I held the door open for him. He took the door and said you better hold it open for me.
I'll take "Total Bullshit that Never Happened" for $800, Alex.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Do you really think I lie?
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:20 am
Semiautomatic pistols in various loadings have been around since about 1900 (the 9x19 Parabellum, the most common handgun caliber in the world, came out in 1902.)
You DO realize that the term 'Parabellum' comes from the Latin 'para bellum'. which translates as 'prepare for war'?

By their own words and works shall you know them.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:21 am
Jarlaxle wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:20 am
Semiautomatic pistols in various loadings have been around since about 1900 (the 9x19 Parabellum, the most common handgun caliber in the world, came out in 1902.)
You DO realize that the term 'Parabellum' comes from the Latin 'para bellum'. which translates as 'prepare for war'?

By their own words and works shall you know them.
-"BB"-
Of course. You do realize that's only half the term, right? Sic vis pacem, para bellum. The complete quote translating as: "If you want peace, prepare for war."

liberty

Post by liberty »

Have you noticed there haven't been many inquiries into this story? There are lots of questions I'd like to ask. First would be what's going to happen with the kid; I mean, he tried to kill somebody. Can that be overlooked? You can't just send the kid back to his parents and school. The boy, in the past, talked about setting his teacher on fire and watching her die. Lighter fluid and matches are easier to come by than a gun. Why does he hate this teacher so much?
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

He most certainly won’t be prosecuted in any way - six years old is too young to meet the standards for criminal culpability.

It sounds like he’s already diagnosed as seriously at risk and with complex mental health issues and was already getting treatment, but clearly the parameters for safety have changed significantly. However the elephant in the room is that the kid could not have shot anybody if he hadn’t had the means to get access to firearms and ammunition.

Shame on parents with children going through challenges who choose to have firearms and then also choose to leave keys lying around or to not lock the guns up at all, just leave them lying around. I cannot fathom the mindset of a person who thinks firearms belong in a house with emotional dysregulation which frankly I think means no guns in houses with children of any age unless those guns are locked down like Fort Knox.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

liberty wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:24 am
Why does he hate this teacher so much?
She's probably a liberal.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Lock the kid in a mental ward until he's 100.