Words matter

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
ex-khobar Andy

Words matter

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

In a NYT piece about a man who was shot and killed by his supposed customers when he went to sell them a puppy. Puppy - a French bulldog which goes for $2500 - is missing, along with the three alleged perps.
“We consider them armed and dangerous,” the sheriff said. “It’s uncalled-for. It’s just senseless and heartless.”
Not sure that 'uncalled for' is up to the job.

BoSoxGal

Re: Words matter

Post by BoSoxGal »

I saw this story it broke my heart - which was already shattered on the floor in a million pieces by earthquake aftermath coverage out of Syria and Turkey.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

These are the same breed of dogs that were stolen from lady gaga. It is difficult to understand why people insist on buying from breeders when there are so many wonderful mixed breeds available.

Particularly this unprepossessing breed which lack much in the way of brains.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:31 am
Puppy - a French bulldog which goes for $2500 - is missing, along with the three alleged perps.
Who's gonna pay $2500 for a hot dog?

I'll show myself out.
GAH!

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I too, have wondered about the popularity of this breed. I first gained knowledge of them in a series of mysteries stories featuring Dr. Delaware, who has one of these dogs. (I don't mention the author or any of his books because I think his wife, Faye Kellerman, is a much better writer.)

Check out the descriptions of the French Bulldog online. Is there any other breed with warnings they can drown in their own water dish?

I am partial to pure bred dogs, for their predictability. The mixed breed may indeed be more healthy, live longer, better personality. But you will have more information about probabilities of combinations of these factors with a pure bred. But IMNSHO, it is a crap shoot either way. On the other hand there have been recent big winners in the power ball and Mega Millions lottery

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I don’t understand the attraction for these breeds with squashed faces who can barely breathe and can’t do most of the dog things that make dogs dogs. I’ve always found dogs appealing for their athleticism and because they’d walk to the ends of the earth with me as my sole companion in a post apocalyptic landscape. Pugs and bulldogs and other dogs bred cruelly for a suffocating life just don’t fit the bill. People who like such dogs must be in a Venn diagram overlap with people who love watching the NFL - getting off on some level from cruelty, or entirely indifferent to it anyway.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan