Are Darwin Awards still a thing?

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Scooter

Are Darwin Awards still a thing?

Post by Scooter »

If not, someone should revive them for this fuckwit:
Lawyer dies after gun triggered by hospital MRI scanner

A Brazilian lawyer tragically died after his gun was discharged by an MRI machine’s magnetic field at the hospital.

The freak accident occurred on January 16 while the gun-loving lawyer, named Leandro Mathias de Novaes, was taking his mother to get scanned at the Laboratorio Cura in São Paulo, Jam Press reported. Unbeknownst to hospital staff, the attorney had a registered firearm in his possession.

Staff had reportedly asked the pair to remove all metal objects before entering the MRI room, as is protocol at hospitals due to the device’s powerful magnetic field. However, Novaes decided to go in sans announcing his concealed weapon.

Disaster struck after the machine yanked the weapon from his waistband, causing it to go off and strike the lawyer in the stomach. He was subsequently rushed to the São Luiz Morumbi Hospital, where he hung on for weeks, before eventually succumbing to his injuries on February 6.

Following the accident, a spokesperson for Laboratorio Cura released a statement, in which they claimed that they’d followed all “accident prevention protocols” as was customary in all MRI units.

“Both the patient and his companion were properly instructed regarding the procedures for accessing the examination room and warned about the removal of any and all metallic objects,” they declared.

The facility’s PR added that both Novaes and his mother signed a form regarding the protocols, but that the lawyer failed to mention his weapon and entered the unit with it “by his own decision.”

A police probe confirmed that the weapon was registered and that the attorney had a valid license for it.

Novae’s passing rocked the Sao Paulo law community. “It is with deep regret that OAB Cotia communicates to all fellow lawyers the unexpected loss of our dear friend and lawyer Dr. Leandro Mathias de Novaes,” said a spokesperson for the Order of Attorneys of Brazil in Cotia in a statement. “We are sorry for the loss and we sympathize with his family in this moment of pain.”

Before his death, Novaes had frequently posted pro-gun content to his more than 8,000 followers on TikTok.

This isn’t the first time someone has died in a freak MRI accident. In 2018, a 32-year-old Indian man perished after being sucked into an MRI chamber while holding a metal oxygen tank.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Re: Are Darwin Awards still a thing?

Post by BoSoxGal »

So he was very well respected in the legal community . . . and he died in a way that exhibits just how appallingly stupid he was . . . maybe he was just a really, really nice guy. No more.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Maybe he was a nice guy, but clearly he had problems with authority figures and his own general ignorance. He never read about people being killed by flying equipment in the MRI lab? The oxygen tank story was not the first. These MRI machines are no joke. They have even been known to suck 14K gold earrings off (what to you think the other content is besides gold?) He also thought the doctor's instructions did not apply to him, after all, he IS a lawyer.

snailgate

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I recall when my wife had an MRI, I was just not allowed into the room. And when I had one myself I had to strip entirely and wear one of hose hospital gowns which did up (or rather did not do up) along the back. And because I still have some metal pins in my leg from doing something silly in a car 32 years ago, I had to tell them the date. Apparently X years ago (where X > 32) there was still enough magnetism in surgical steel for it to be a problem,

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:22 pm
I recall when my wife had an MRI, I was just not allowed into the room. And when I had one myself I had to strip entirely and wear one of hose hospital gowns which did up (or rather did not do up) along the back. And because I still have some metal pins in my leg from doing something silly in a car 32 years ago, I had to tell them the date. Apparently X years ago (where X > 32) there was still enough magnetism in surgical steel for it to be a problem,
The rod that was inserted into my fractured femur last June was made of titanium, which is — according to Google — 'paramagnetic' (I assume the screws/pins/whatever used to attach and stabilize it were as well).  And I've had at least one MRI since 2006, when I had to have my right shoulder reconstructed with a plate and a dozen screws in and along the shaft and knob of the humerus, with no ill effects.

I also don't set off the metal detectors at the courthouse or the turnstile at the ball game.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Not sure if the tale of this legal beagle for a way-back Darwin should be put here or perhaps in the Baldwin shooting thread....

You can't keep a good old copper-head down - Clement managed it on his own. Almost gave himself a Brazilian
Vallandigham attempted to prove the victim, Tom Myers, had in fact accidentally shot himself while drawing his pistol from a pocket while rising from a kneeling position. As Vallandigham conferred with fellow defense attorneys in his hotel room at the Lebanon House, later the Golden Lamb Inn, he showed them how he would demonstrate this to the jury. Selecting a pistol he believed to be unloaded, he put it in his pocket and enacted the events as they might have happened, snagging the loaded gun on his clothing and unintentionally causing it to discharge into his stomach. Although he was fatally wounded, Vallandigham's demonstration proved his point
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts