Controlling your Facebook site

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Methuselah

Controlling your Facebook site

Post by Methuselah »

We just replaced a water heater, and as part of the process I used a Google tab to go to a national hardware store site to find the cost of a water heater tank. Soon after I did this I noticed at least 5 articles on how to get a water tank replaced appear on Facebook. I don't recall ever seeing these types of articles before this. I also got about the same number of unsolicited emails on the subject, including one that AOL wouldn't deliver because it contained some kind of scamming device. I don't know if I should blame Google and/or the hardware site for telling many other sites that I was now in the market for a tank.
You become aware that if you open a Facebook article on a new subject you then start seeing many other articles appear on that subject. I'd like to find a wersite tool to tell FB that there are classes of articles I no longer wish to see. I must have looked at an article on kids getting bulliied, or HOA abuses, or etc., because I keep seeing new articles on these topics that would seem to be of limited interest. Is there an "ENOUGH" button on FB that I can push to get my personal list of topics I like modified to remove topics I no longer wish to scroll through?

BoSoxGal

Re: Controlling your Facebook site

Post by BoSoxGal »

No, but if you give the AI/algorithm more data to work with, it will reward you with fresh advertising. Do some searches for things you might want to be overwhelmed with advertising about.

You are the commodity, your attention and your time and your wallet. Remember that whenever you engage with social media.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan