He Thinks You Need to Know This...

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Joe Guy

He Thinks You Need to Know This...

Post by Joe Guy »

Then again, I bet this guy hasn't the slightest clue as to what he's saying...

BoSoxGal

Re: He Thinks You Need to Know This...

Post by BoSoxGal »

Where/how do you get hooked up with this stuff?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 2:12 am
Where/how do you get hooked up with this stuff?

A while back I started watching YouTube videos made by people exposing "Sovereign Citizens". Many of them are fun to watch. I guess that triggered videos like the above to show up on my YouTube suggested videos. There are people who make a lot of money from monetized YouTube videos that are complete nonsense but somehow gather a large following.

You'd be surprised at how many people want advice on how to become "non-citizen nationals" and do things like declare they are not under any legal jurisdiction in the U.S. There are a lot of people on YouTube who are experts on nonsensical subjects.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Lol no I would not be surprised about this. I guess you have forgotten my personal experience being stalked by a sovereign citizen against whom I obtained a lifetime protection order and who was later convicted of a number of felonies for his activities. Thankfully that particular SC is now deceased. But I got a valuable education in the right wing militia movements by firsthand experience and have in the years since furthered that education expansively. I am alarmed.

If you’re interested in home grown extremism you might like the last few episodes of The Lincoln Project podcast, which are a discussion of the rise of domestic extremism since Ruby Ridge and Waco.

Interestingly, as I have studied these subjects in greater depth in recent years, I have found myself understanding much more deeply where the grievance and outrage at the government is coming from. Of course as has always been the case there is a fair amount of overlap between the grievances of the right and the grievances of the left concerning the jack boot of the police state, but because of deep philosophical differences between the two extremes they will never be able to work together to get the state to concede some of the extensive power is has exerted over its people for so many decades.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I'm living in a small town full of Trumptards and other rednecks, including a guy about two blocks away from my place who has this flag...
... which I understand has been adopted by people who have swallowed this 'Sovereign Citizen' nonsense, flying from the pole in his front yard.  Pray for me.
-"BB"-
Last edited by Bicycle Bill on Fri May 19, 2023 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

We have one of these asshats living not far from us:

Hasten to clarify - it's the one on the left (how ironic!)
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

They're everywhere.

Had a blind date Wednesday.  There's a lady I've been communicating with on eHarmony for a few weeks, and we agreed to meet on neutral ground at a co-op/cafe for coffee and conversation in a town about halfway between our respective residences. She politely declined my offer to pick up the tab for a sandwich or something, settling for just coffee, and after we'd gotten to the end of an enjoyable few hours (almost four and a half had flown by, just talking!) I stopped off at the Eagles' Club for a soda and a bathroom break before driving back to my place.

While there, I was talking at the bar with someone who didn't know me from Adam's cat about this and that, like the weather (it WAS kind of a nice day in western Wisconsin), when he suddenly and in all sincerity asked me if I'd ever heard of "The New World Order" — and I could hear the quotes and the ominous capital letters in his voice.  I admitted that I had, but pretended I had no opinion on it one way or the other. Then he asked me if I knew that "THEY" were controlling the weather, and said I should check out a website having to do with something called HAARP.  I blew off his concerns, reminding him that just because something was on the internet didn't mean it was necessarily accurate or even remotely true, and shortly afterwards finished my can of soda and headed for home.

I did look up HAARP, more out of curiosity than anything, and found that it was something that crackpots — the same ilk as those who were going on about chemtrails a couple decades ago and radio-control of thought waves... the tin-foil hatters,in other words — have been haarping on (see what I did there?) since it was set up in a remote part of Alaska as a government-funded research station on the ionosphere, basing their "proof" on a few dozen pictures of odd but still naturally-occurring cloud formations.  I also found out that the government ceased operations and maintenance of the site in 2014 when they turned it over, lock, stock, and barrel, to the U of Alaska-Fairbanks, who are now using it for astronomical studies, like bouncing extremely low frequency waves off of deep-space objects like asteroids and the planet Jupiter to try to determine their makeup.

Like I said, they're everywhere.  And a lot of them aren't all that obvious... at least, not until they open their mouths and start talking.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Here's a typical example of a Sovereign Citizen down in the west Texas town of El Paso....

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Here’s some more great advice…..