This just in - Grauniad discovers Tudor news

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
MajGenl.Meade

This just in - Grauniad discovers Tudor news

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Elizabeth I was heavily influenced by her mother Anne Boleyn, despite the fact that the latter died when the Tudor queen was less than three years old, according to the historian and author Tracy Borman.

As well as being influenced by feminist ideas that were ahead of their time, Borman said there was evidence they both experienced stress and anxiety.

The stress Boleyn was under to produce an heir “is a possible reason” for the three miscarriages she suffered, Borman said. “The other theory ... is that she was rhesus negative”, a condition that can cause miscarriages, but “surely the pressure and the stress has to have toll on Anne’s physical health”.

Elizabeth was also psychologically affected by the trauma of losing her mother at a young age, said Borman, who wrote Elizabeth’s Women, about the women who influenced Elizabeth I.

“She was given to nervous fits, as they were described, and often stomach complaints. She had migraines. It was very obvious that she been literally traumatised by her early history and, when she was pressed on the issue of marriage, she would become almost hysterical.”

Her refusal to marry “went beyond her politics”, Borman believes. “Anne had left an indelible mark on Elizabeth, physically as well as emotionally.”
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Re: This just in - Grauniad discovers Tudor news

Post by BoSoxGal »

I couldn’t find that story, would appreciate a link when you have a chance if you haven’t lost it.

The research of recent decades on trauma and its effects on the body and the heritability of those effects is fascinating stuff and is upending much of what we thought we knew about what drives human behavior and health. Reassessing the well documented lives of historical figures in light of newly established neuroscience and psychology is always going to be highly speculative but has more value than most of what’s on TV, so . . .

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 00808/full

Henry VIII is one of the most notorious domestic abusers in the annals of history. He got away with spousal murder by declaring it by divine right, for pity’s sake. Of course it is well reasonable to assume that all of his offspring inherited the trauma endured by their mothers and inflicted by their own father.

It’s not as if Elizabeth I was the first or last woman in the history of the world to have highly fraught relationships with men because of having a deeply troubled relationship with daddy. She’s just probably the most famous.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

My pleasure. From yesterday's Grauniad

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... -young-age
Reassessing the well documented lives of historical figures in light of newly established neuroscience and psychology is always going to be highly speculative but has more value than most of what’s on TV
It is frequently the case, true.

We shouldn't underestimate the daily doubt as to life continuation for such royal women. Boleyn was a prime example of the temporary nature of royal favor. Before they were in power (and even after) Mary and Elizabeth were never sure that today would not be their last. And were practitioners of terror in their own reigns.

I'm not so sure that Henry claimed "divine right" re Boleyn's execution. You may be thinking of the previous break with Rome, the Act of Supremacy declaring Henry head of the Church of England, and all because the Pope (under pressure from Katherine's Uncle Charles) would not allow that first marriage to be annulled. In both cases, the lack of a male heir was the prime driver - and that was, along with lust, one of Henry's very real personal (and selfish) motives.
Last edited by MajGenl.Meade on Sat May 27, 2023 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

To bring this topic up to present day, the US Navy, if not all the military services, is now seriously investigating the physical affects of moral wounds.

The human mind/soul/ body is a complex system. I think that is why many researchers prefer to look into artificial intelligence--the natural stuff is too scary. Let's look at the kind of stuff we can at least pretend we have under control.

snailgate