food desert

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all

If it was your money, would you leave?

1, yes
2
67%
2. no
0
No votes
3. other
1
33%
 
Total votes: 3

liberty
Posts: 4435
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:31 pm
Location: Colonial Possession

food desert

Post by liberty »

Walmart is pulling out of Chicago. The question I have is why did it take them so long? I presume they kicked the liberals out of the organization and started making decisions that made sense. Why would you want to stay where the corruption, thievery, and incompetence are so high that you can't make a profit? I don't understand why the company is offering the workers jobs at other stores; all they will do is take the corruption at these stores and transplant it somewhere else.

The only kind of store it makes sense in big liberal cities is one where anything of value is behind bulletproof glass along with the teller, and the customer has to present their money into a drawer before they can receive their purchase. Also, it would be a good idea if the teller had a way to remotely isolate and lock a thief in the store until the police arrived. Merchants should get out of cities like Chicago before they get looted.

You can talk food desert if you want, but evidently, people in these communities thank McDonald's and corn chips are health food.



https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/12/business ... index.html
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

ex-khobar Andy
Posts: 5450
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:16 am
Location: Louisville KY as of July 2018

Re: food desert

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

For some reason I could not follow your link, lib. Maybe the left wing commie media are destroying lib's links in case they lead us astray because they don't want us doing our own research.

Anyway this Google-supplied link let me read the CNN story.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/15/business ... l%20losses.

There is no suggestion in the story that this decision by Walmart - to close 4 out of 8 Chicago area stores - was anything but a straightforward business decision because the Walmart business model just wasn't working in the sort of poor urban neighborhoods Chicago offers. Walmart's model works best in slightly more affluent car-owning more rural areas where people go there by car once a week or so and do all their shopping there. I'm paraphrasing the piece. No mention of corruption or thievery and incompetence driving their decision. I'm no Walmartista and the only reason I have been in one in the past 10 years or so - probably more - was that they sold insulin for my cat at $35 a bottle instead of the $185 they wanted at CVS.

liberty
Posts: 4435
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:31 pm
Location: Colonial Possession

Re: food desert

Post by liberty »

I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Jarlaxle
Posts: 5376
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:21 am
Location: New England

Re: food desert

Post by Jarlaxle »

OP link is broken.
Treat Gaza like Carthage.

liberty
Posts: 4435
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:31 pm
Location: Colonial Possession

Re: food desert

Post by liberty »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:44 am
OP link is broken.
There are plenty of other links on the same subject:


https://abc7chicago.com/walmart-near-me ... ronzeville.

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/bi ... hborhoods/
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Burning Petard
Posts: 4121
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:35 pm
Location: Near Bear, Delaware

Re: food desert

Post by Burning Petard »

Peculiar set of data that assumes Walmart is the only source of groceries in Chicago. I'm no expert on urban resources, but it is not obvious to me that Chicago will be a food desert with half its WalMart stores folded.

liberty
Posts: 4435
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:31 pm
Location: Colonial Possession

Re: food desert

Post by liberty »

Burning Petard wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:46 pm
Peculiar set of data that assumes Walmart is the only source of groceries in Chicago. I'm no expert on urban resources, but it is not obvious to me that Chicago will be a food desert with half its WalMart stores folded.
When people, liberals, use the term food desert they're referring to poor inner-city communities that generally are served by stores like 711 that sell cokes and corn chips. The term refers to a lack of fruits, vegetables and unprocessed meat, but what is the problem corn chips and cokes are great food for growing children.

Three of the stores closed were smaller Walmart's community grocery stores that made cheaper high-quality food available to poor communities. I don't know if you have them in your area, but I do.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

ex-khobar Andy
Posts: 5450
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:16 am
Location: Louisville KY as of July 2018

Re: food desert

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Lib's not wrong in his definition of a food desert apart from his gratuitous assertion that only liberals use the term and of course his (I hope) sarcastic comment about chips and Coke being good nutritional sources for growing children.

The best example I know personally of a food desert is inner city Buffalo where they finally got a Tops supermarket after years of having only the 7-11 type stores which, as lib points out, specialize in junk food. That came to a crashing halt when some good ole boy from out of town decided that this was too much of a good thing for Blacks and went in there with a AR-15 (or similar) and killed 10 people a year ago.

So yes, if lib's point (if he has one - it's sometimes difficult to discern) that these places attract crime, I suppose he's right. Damn! I hate having to admit that lib is right, but fair's fair, I suppose.

User avatar
Econoline
Posts: 9583
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:25 pm
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Re: food desert

Post by Econoline »

Burning Petard wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:46 pm
Peculiar set of data that assumes Walmart is the only source of groceries in Chicago. I'm no expert on urban resources, but it is not obvious to me that Chicago will be a food desert with half its WalMart stores folded.
There are plenty of other grocery stores (and even 4 remaining Walmart stores) available in the city of Chicago; the problem is that some neighborhoods (lower-income ones, natch) are under-served. From the CNN link:
the company struggled in Chicago. Its mammoth superstores, which are designed for people to drive to and make big shopping trips, have been less suited for city residents who tend to make smaller but more frequent trips to supermarkets.

Walmart tried opening smaller stores, known as neighborhood markets, that serve mostly groceries — but these lower profit margins than other merchandise like electronics or clothing. Walmart is closing neighborhood markets around the country, and three of the four stores closing in Chicago fall into that category.
So a stand-alone grocery store—one of the lowest profit-margin businesses extant—is something that Walmart—a *VERY* different sort of business with a *VERY* different business model—doesn't know how to do...or doesn't WANT to do. :roll: <-- This is my shocked, SHOCKED, face.

Before Walmart opened there was for many years a Save-a-Lot grocery store almost directly across the street from the Walmart location; it lasted a few more years after the Walmart opened but of course it eventually went out of business. (With Walmart closed the nearest full-service grocery stores are now all more than a mile away.) So Walmart stayed just long enough to destroy this and a bunch of other local businesses, then decided it wasn't making enough profit (in a notoriously low-profit retail sector) and walked away. This is a pattern—a business model, I dare say?—that Walmart has repeated often, even in poorer rural areas.

I was in West Virginia a few years ago after a rush overnight courier delivery from Chicago to Clarksburg WV. I had my wife with me for company during the long drive down, and after a good dinner and a night's rest we decided to take a slow, scenic route on the way back north. We stopped for coffee someplace in or near some tiny town, I forget exactly where, and we got into a conversation with the owner about this and that and some other things, including the local economy. He was mightily PO'd with Walmart, who had moved into the county with a Superdooperpooperstore, destroyed several general stores in several other small towns, decided their profits weren't enough to keep the store open, and walked away. When I saw this news I immediately flashed back to that encounter.
ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:29 am
There is no suggestion in the story that this decision by Walmart - to close 4 out of 8 Chicago area stores - was anything but a straightforward business decision because the Walmart business model just wasn't working in the sort of poor urban neighborhoods Chicago offers. Walmart's model works best in slightly more affluent car-owning more rural areas where people go there by car once a week or so and do all their shopping there. I'm paraphrasing the piece. No mention of corruption or thievery and incompetence driving their decision.
Yup. It happens. Strictly business, nothing personal. :evil:
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

User avatar
Bicycle Bill
Posts: 9057
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:10 pm
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: food desert

Post by Bicycle Bill »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:25 pm
Damn! I hate having to admit that lib is right, but fair's fair, I suppose.
Even a broken clock will show the right time twice a day.
Image
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

liberty
Posts: 4435
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:31 pm
Location: Colonial Possession

Re: food desert

Post by liberty »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:25 pm
Lib's not wrong in his definition of a food desert apart from his gratuitous assertion that only liberals use the term and of course his (I hope) sarcastic comment about chips and Coke being good nutritional sources for growing children.
It's sarcasm, the kind I use when I figure there's no hope. All I can say is that people living in those communities should get out if they can, and if they can't do that, they shouldn't have children. Having children in a neighborhood like that is a form of child abuse.

Also, I think the small low-profit community stores could survive in those inner-city communities; they do here. They could stand the predictable loss like spoiled produce; it's the thievery that pushes them over the edge.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

User avatar
Joe Guy
Posts: 14080
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: Redweird City, California

Re: food desert

Post by Joe Guy »

liberty wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:40 am
Having children in a neighborhood like that is a form of child abuse.
I need to start a list of liberty quotes.

That one is definitely a classic. I should have started the list long ago. I'd have a book published by now but I probably would have been sued by liberty for being a liberal plagiarist.

User avatar
MajGenl.Meade
Posts: 20818
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:51 am
Location: Groot Brakrivier
Contact:

Re: food desert

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:25 pm
I hate having to admit that lib is right, but fair's fair, I suppose.
He's right in his thinly veiled racist condemnation of blacks? Note that his first approach was this:

"people in these communities thank (sic - he means 'think') McDonald's and corn chips are health food"

See, those iggerant black folk don't know what healthy food is. It's not that they can't access it but that they are untermensch thieves who deserve nothing better than dismissal and contempt.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

User avatar
Joe Guy
Posts: 14080
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: Redweird City, California

Re: food desert

Post by Joe Guy »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:07 am

"people in these communities thank (sic - he means 'think') McDonald's and corn chips are health food"
I assumed it was his accent. For example, liberty would say, "I thank, therefore I am."

User avatar
Econoline
Posts: 9583
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:25 pm
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Re: food desert

Post by Econoline »

liberty wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:40 am
I think the small low-profit community stores could survive in those inner-city communities; they do here.
They do here (in DeKalb IL), and they do in Chicago too. But they just can't compete with a corporate behemoth like Walmart, which treats its grocery business as a loss-leader, and has the resources to just destroy the competition and walk away...not because the business isn't viable but because its shareholders (and its (Walton) family members) expect—nay, DEMAND—more (and quicker) profits from each of their >10,000 retail stores than any small businessman could expect/demand from his family-run store.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Jarlaxle
Posts: 5376
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:21 am
Location: New England

Re: food desert

Post by Jarlaxle »

liberty wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:10 pm

Three of the stores closed were smaller Walmart's community grocery stores that made cheaper high-quality food available to poor communities. I don't know if you have them in your area, but I do.
I recall WM is closing all the Neighborhood Market stores. (As well as many older WM stores.)
Treat Gaza like Carthage.

liberty
Posts: 4435
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:31 pm
Location: Colonial Possession

Re: food desert

Post by liberty »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:07 am
ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:25 pm
I hate having to admit that lib is right, but fair's fair, I suppose.
He's right in his thinly veiled racist condemnation of blacks? Note that his first approach was this:

"people in these communities thank (sic - he means 'think') McDonald's and corn chips are health food"

See, those iggerant black folk don't know what healthy food is. It's not that they can't access it but that they are untermensch thieves who deserve nothing better than dismissal and contempt.
I did not imply all of them were thieves; that was you; I believe in all societies, these people make up a small percentage of the population, but the whole community is responsible for tolerating intolerable situations. Conditions in inner-city black communities have deteriorated so much that regular law enforcement techniques cannot fix it; it will take extraordinary measures. People who complain about the situation are accused of being racist. Problems that cannot be acknowledged will never be fixed.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

User avatar
Sue U
Posts: 8582
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:59 pm
Location: Eastern Megalopolis, North America (Midtown)

Re: food desert

Post by Sue U »

liberty wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:16 am
I don't understand why the company is offering the workers jobs at other stores; all they will do is take the corruption at these stores and transplant it somewhere else.

The only kind of store it makes sense in big liberal cities is one where anything of value is behind bulletproof glass along with the teller, and the customer has to present their money into a drawer before they can receive their purchase. Also, it would be a good idea if the teller had a way to remotely isolate and lock a thief in the store until the police arrived. Merchants should get out of cities like Chicago before they get looted.
liberty wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:24 am
I did not imply all of them were thieves; that was you; I believe in all societies, these people make up a small percentage of the population, but the whole community is responsible for tolerating intolerable situations. Conditions in inner-city black communities have deteriorated so much that regular law enforcement techniques cannot fix it; it will take extraordinary measures. People who complain about the situation are accused of being racist. Problems that cannot be acknowledged will never be fixed.
Image
GAH!

liberty
Posts: 4435
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:31 pm
Location: Colonial Possession

Re: food desert

Post by liberty »

Sue U wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:39 pm
liberty wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:16 am
I don't understand why the company is offering the workers jobs at other stores; all they will do is take the corruption at these stores and transplant it somewhere else.

The only kind of store it makes sense in big liberal cities is one where anything of value is behind bulletproof glass along with the teller, and the customer has to present their money into a drawer before they can receive their purchase. Also, it would be a good idea if the teller had a way to remotely isolate and lock a thief in the store until the police arrived. Merchants should get out of cities like Chicago before they get looted.
liberty wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:24 am
I did not imply all of them were thieves; that was you; I believe in all societies, these people make up a small percentage of the population, but the whole community is responsible for tolerating intolerable situations. Conditions in inner-city black communities have deteriorated so much that regular law enforcement techniques cannot fix it; it will take extraordinary measures. People who complain about the situation are accused of being racist. Problems that cannot be acknowledged will never be fixed.
Image
The best I can make out of your display is that you think I'm insincere. You think you know me, wrong you are. Neither one of us know these people in these inner-city communities personally, but I care more about them than you do. I care about them because is I'm grateful I'm not in their position. When, I was a young man and a student at the Gary Job Corps Center in San Marcos TX. I got a small taste of life in these inner-city communities; I'm glad I could leave it. Most of the students were black and came from black ghettos in the north. When they came to Texas, they brought that culture with them, and I was there and experienced it, so I have some experience on the subject. How would you like to live in a place where; it is not exceptional for young children to gunned down while playing on their own stoop by a rival street gang?
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

liberty
Posts: 4435
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:31 pm
Location: Colonial Possession

Re: food desert

Post by liberty »

Sue U wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:39 pm
liberty wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:16 am
I don't understand why the company is offering the workers jobs at other stores; all they will do is take the corruption at these stores and transplant it somewhere else.

The only kind of store it makes sense in big liberal cities is one where anything of value is behind bulletproof glass along with the teller, and the customer has to present their money into a drawer before they can receive their purchase. Also, it would be a good idea if the teller had a way to remotely isolate and lock a thief in the store until the police arrived. Merchants should get out of cities like Chicago before they get looted.
liberty wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:24 am
I did not imply all of them were thieves; that was you; I believe in all societies, these people make up a small percentage of the population, but the whole community is responsible for tolerating intolerable situations. Conditions in inner-city black communities have deteriorated so much that regular law enforcement techniques cannot fix it; it will take extraordinary measures. People who complain about the situation are accused of being racist. Problems that cannot be acknowledged will never be fixed.
Image
The best I can make out of your display is that you think I'm insincere. You think you know me, wrong you are. Neither one of us know these people in these inner-city communities personally, but I care more about them than you do. I care about them because is I'm grateful I'm not in their position. When, I was a young man and a student at the Gary Job Corps Center in San Marcos TX. I got a small taste of life in these inner-city communities; I'm glad I could leave it. Most of the students were black and came from black ghettos in the north. When they came to Texas, they brought that culture with them, and I was there and experienced it, so I have some experience on the subject. How would you like to live in a place where; it is not exceptional for young children to be gunned down while playing on their own stoop by a rival street gang?

However if there is something else that you are implying, I am glad that you'll appreciate the size of my sex organ. I'm sorry I cannot do anything for you; those days for me are long over.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Post Reply