food desert

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all

If it was your money, would you leave?

1, yes
67%
2. no
No votes
3. other
33%

Total votes: 3

MajGenl.Meade

Re: food desert

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

liberty wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:14 pm
Most of the students were black and came from black ghettos in the north. When they came to Texas, they brought that culture with them, and I was there and experienced it, so I have some experience on the subject. How would you like to live in a place where; it is not exceptional for young children to gunned down while playing on their own stoop by a rival street gang?
There we have it once again. Black = shooting children. Gosh, if those people were only stopped from having children, all would be better.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

It's the fault of the liberals.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Joe Guy wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:30 pm
It's the fault of the liberals.
You get it; such a wise man you are. Your John Birch Society membership card is in the mail, not.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

liberty wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:26 pm

The best I can make out of your display is that you think I'm insincere. You think you know me, wrong you are. Neither one of us know these people in these inner-city communities personally, but I care more about them than you do. I care about them because is I'm grateful I'm not in their position.
Listen, jerkwad, I spent a decade living in the slums of inner-city Philadelphia because that's what I could afford. There was occasional gunfire, though I never saw anyone actually shot -- although I did see a dead body in the abandoned house across the street, don't know the cause. There was more frequent property crime. Now my job takes me regularly to the most impoverished cities in New Jersey (and other states) because that's where the courthouses are. You know who else works at the courthouses? People from the community, some of whom I have known for decades. You know who took care of my kids when they were little? The Black and Puerto Rican girls from the Camden "ghetto." When I was doing personal injury work about half my clientele was from inner city communities, because they're the people who get the shitty end of the stick most often and end up hurt. I know "these people" -- fuck, I *was* these people, maybe still am. You "care" because you're "grateful" you're "not in their position"? You just want to look down on someone, you smug self-satisfied prick, and all the better if they've got a different color skin because you can tell yourself "I'm not like them." You never even "got a small taste of life in these inner-city communities." You have no clue what it's like to live in a Black neighborhood in a Black city. Your perverse fantasy of "black ghettos in the north" shows just what a racist tool you are.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Sue--you're absolutely right; these are communities who often pull together to help each other when needed--far more often than I've seen in the suburbs. My only concern is that the level of violence (especially gunfire) has increased (clearly from what I experienced when I grew up in Brooklyn, but also my college and grad school years in New Brunswick before it became the Disney World of J&J. When I worked for DYFS a few years back (really the Office of the Law Guardian) I went to some horrible areas of Paterson, Newark, and Jersey City and was told by the parent(s))/foster parent(s) tales of having to keep away from the walls and windows at night to avoid stray shots in the evening. Certainly not every night, but much more than I ever experienced. Violence brought to you by the law on drugs.

I never experienced any real problems (because I think the people in the neighborhoods, even the addicts, don't want to cause problems for the others in the neighborhoods), but I know some of my clients did. And some of my clients, even as young as 13, were part of the gangs and quite open about it (one even told me to call him if I had any problems). But it wasn't a racial thing, it cut across all those living there. And, FWIW, I think my experience there is tainted because it was with children at risk; my wife ran a mentoring program with our church for kids in one of the worst areas of Newark and I met a lot of parents and custodial grandparents who worked tirelessly to keep their kids away from the gangs (but were still concerned about the violence; we've kept in touch with a lot of the kids and many (sadly not all) have done fairly well--a number even graduating college and working in computers or teaching, despite growing up in those areas

liberty

Post by liberty »

Sue U wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:24 am
liberty wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:26 pm

The best I can make out of your display is that you think I'm insincere. You think you know me, wrong you are. Neither one of us know these people in these inner-city communities personally, but I care more about them than you do. I care about them because is I'm grateful I'm not in their position.
Listen, jerkwad, I spent a decade living in the slums of inner-city Philadelphia because that's what I could afford. There was occasional gunfire, though I never saw anyone actually shot -- although I did see a dead body in the abandoned house across the street, don't know the cause. There was more frequent property crime. Now my job takes me regularly to the most impoverished cities in New Jersey (and other states) because that's where the courthouses are. You know who else works at the courthouses? People from the community, some of whom I have known for decades. You know who took care of my kids when they were little? The Black and Puerto Rican girls from the Camden "ghetto." When I was doing personal injury work about half my clientele was from inner city communities, because they're the people who get the shitty end of the stick most often and end up hurt. I know "these people" -- fuck, I *was* these people, maybe still am. You "care" because you're "grateful" you're "not in their position"? You just want to look down on someone, you smug self-satisfied prick, and all the better if they've got a different color skin because you can tell yourself "I'm not like them." You never even "got a small taste of life in these inner-city communities." You have no clue what it's like to live in a Black neighborhood in a Black city. Your perverse fantasy of "black ghettos in the north" shows just what a racist tool you are.
I generally believe someone unless I know him to be a liar or communist; excuse me for repeating myself. I'm not sure you're a Communist. So I will believe you. You say that you care about these people. If that's the case, why is it that the unacceptably high level of crime and violence in their communities is OK with you?

And, what is a jerkwad?
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Ooh! Ooh! I know....
jerkwad

jerkwad (plural jerkwads) (slang, derogatory, Canada, US) A jerk; an obnoxious person.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Joe Guy wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:15 am
Ooh! Ooh! I know....
jerkwad

jerkwad (plural jerkwads) (slang, derogatory, Canada, US) A jerk; an obnoxious person.
I thought it had a sexual connotation. I'm not obnoxious. I don't try to be; if I am, it's in the mind of the beholder who's hearing something they don't want to hear. What does that say about their emotional stability?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Ooh! Ooh!....
obnoxious
adjective
ob·​nox·​ious äb-ˈnäk-shəs

: odiously or disgustingly objectionable : highly offensive

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

“Ignoranus”, both ignorant and an asshole.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

liberty wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:07 am
If that's the case, why is it that the unacceptably high level of crime and violence in their communities is OK with you?

And, what is a jerkwad?
Second question first: (to) "shoot one's wad" in American English, informal
a. to spend all one's money - He shot his wad on a new car
b. to expend all one's energies or resources at one time - She shot her wad writing her first novel and her second wasn't as good
c. vulgar slang (of a man) - to have an orgasm

You can safely and rightly assume (despite Joe's pacific try) that a "jerkwad" is a person who resembles and has the values of a masturbatory ejaculation.

Also noted etymologically as possible reference to TP: "jerkwad: a piece of toilet paper used during male masturbation". Note the affinity to "asswad", also claimed to be a reference to TP.

First question. Please provide a direct quote in which Sue states that she is OK with unacceptably high level(s) of crime and violence in communities. We expect a direct quote (foolish expectation, I know) rather than some obfuscatory mental fog which is your usual state when lying.

Please show your work.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

There is another, older version of "shooting one's wad" which dates back to the time of muzzle-loading cannon.  The weapon would be charged with powder, and tamped into place behind wadding... but with no explosive shell, cannonball, or other form of projectile.  Thus, when fired, the result would be much noise and smoke, but with no actual effect.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I care about them because is I'm grateful I'm not in their position.
??????>??? That's like saying I care about sick people by being happy I'm not sick. I guess you thought the Band-Aid line in Do They Know It's Christmas "Tonight thank God It's Them Instead of You" wasn't sarcasm and reflected their caring? You may want to look to the parable of the good Samaritan to understand caring; those people who just passed him by and left him lying on the side of the road were happy they weren't the one lying there as well..