Beware of Facebook Email Scam

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Joe Guy

Beware of Facebook Email Scam

Post by Joe Guy »

I've attached screenshots of an email I've received 4 times within the last two days. It says it's from Facebook but it's not. It is a potential hack/scam. I've never seen one created so perfectly. Usually there is a misspelling or other flaw that is easy to detect. This one even has the return email address for Facebook showing correctly. In all other phony emails I've received it will show the email address of the scammer if you hold the cursor over the fake sender address.

The cleverest part of this one is the button included to click on if you didn't request the reset. I don't know where that will take you but it's probably not a good place.

Has anyone else received this? If so, be careful. I forwarded the email to phish@fb.com

Screenshot 2023-07-22 .png
Screenshot 2023-07-22 Pt 2.jpg

BoSoxGal

Re: Beware of Facebook Email Scam

Post by BoSoxGal »

Yes I got that email at both my email addresses - I think Facebook has both as a primary and backup.

I just make it a habit to never use links in an email; if I get one from Facebook or Amazon or eBay I go there directly and check messages/notifications.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Interesting. I do the same and go to the source for information even when I believe I've received a legit email. Unless I'm late realizing this, I think we've now gone into a new era of high quality email scamming.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

FWIW, I even do that with QR codes; if I go to a casual restaurant that does not have a menu but has a QR code pasted to the table, I access their website instead of scanning the code. I read in a few places that there are some pasting malicious QR codes over the real ones, and can use the connection to hack your phone. I'm not sure it is real, but it could well be, and I figure, why take a chance. As if I needed another reason to hate those damn things....

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

FWIW I go to another restaurant :lol:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Sadly, in some places, like NYC, they all seem to have embraced this "innovation". I even got my nephew's wedding invitation recently, and had to us a provided QR code to RSVP--saves on postage I guess.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Another city then? Must stay ahead of the curve
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts